Agnostic.com

314 12

Incest: Immoral or Moral?

I was asked this question today by a theist. If there is no God why is safe sex between brother and sister immoral to an atheist? This guy was smart to add safe sex because it closed off my avenue to argue the health issue. So, I was thinking why is it immoral if it is consensual? I understand we find it gross but is that because of Christian influence?

• 140 votes
  • 79 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

314 comments (301 - 314)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We end up with far too many stupid people when they keep screwing their siblings....

That was the only way isolated tribes multiplied - immorality came later as developed.

Because it's just sick and wrong.

Why is it wrong. You say it's wrong but you don't back it up.

I was a psychiatric RN for over 30 years and abuse of women and children was my main area of expertise but I have to recuse myself in part. If not sn act of aggression, and consensual that can be different although I might have difficulty endorsing it. I would have gone to bed with my cousin in a minute although we haven’t been in touch. Never my sibs and by the way I’m not a Christian... however I might hop on to bed with you as you are very attractive and sexy

Morality is a subjective term dependent upon the predominate views of the society or group within which the action is being judged. In my group of one, it is moral. If my group were larger I might have to change my answer, but I would have to know the disposition of the group. I might add that it would need to be a unanimous answer amongst the group.

There's no morality about it. Its just fucked up. It has so many genetic and medical downsides that I would never condone it. But i think 2 consenting adults should be able to do what ever they want as long as it doesnt harm others

Ruins the sister-brother relationship, one that is based on traditional values excluding religious beliefs.

How so?

WTF??

WTF? What? I don't understand?

@paul1967 I think she is saying she is against it LOL. I would ask her but her profile says if you are not a level four she will block you. WTF? That doesn't sound like anyone I'm interested in communicating with.

It's Nature's Way of keeping us from having two headed 12 toed babies

And yet there are still Siamese twins!

Inbreeding magnifies genetic defects.

safe sex means no breeding, in or otherwise.

g

If children are produced it is bad for the genetic diversity of the offspring. Look at the Amish. They are descended from a very small gene pool and for the most part only marry other Amish, so they have a very high number of genetic diseases.

I define good as that which advances life and evil as that which impedes life. Incest impedes life and is therefore bad.

If it is safe sex, you're skirting the edge of morality and immorality, but on the right side. Barely.

Now, thinking that you have a right to decide that for others is highly immoral and should not be tolerated.

@ldheinz "I define good as that which advances life and evil as that which impedes life. Incest impedes life and is therefore bad."

I don't disagree with this for the most part, but life is one aspect of existence. Lots of actions would promote life and yet infringe on widely accepted moral truths. It is a good rule of thumb but I would say this is vastly oversimplified.

It was certainly the way the Ancient Egyptian royal families kept their bloodlines pure as they believed that they were descendants of the gods. See the work of Frank Ruhli et.al - American Journal of Physical Anthropology 157(3) · April 2015 

For too long now Governments, The Church and society in general have just been obsessed... absolutely obsessed with whom puts what part of their body in whom. If it's safe and mutually consensual - Butt the fuck out is my honest opinion.

Just like food... "The only people so obsessed with food are the anorexic and the morbidly obese, and so it is with the Church and sex" [nods to Stephen Fry]

@RobLawrence could be

Please tell me, where in the Bible it says it's a sin? I've never heard of such a Bible verse. People are so stupid when it comes to religion. Most practices of the Christian religion, is not even in the Bible. Most of it rationalizations of someone's "interpretation". The fact is, in the Old Testament there are a hand full of direct commandments, and most of them are ignored today.

Leviticus 18-20 has a list of orders from God including not having sex with animals. This is not to say that there are other instances of incest in the bible. But what is the bible if not contrary?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.