Agnostic.com

38 2

What is a word or term that instantly causes you to lose respect for someone when you hear it?

Pangolinear 4 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Getting confused with "would" and "wouldn't"... who had that issue the other day? Never had my respect so that can't be him, right?

Supposably

Hermit Level 7 July 22, 2018

For the record : It actually is a word, though most use it incorrectly ...

@evergreen Really? Please enlighten me.

@Hermit I tried to cut and paste from Mirriam-Webster, but was unable to. Easy to look up though.

"axe" instead of "ask"
"pacific" instead of "specific"
"I seen" instead of "I saw"

and all other butcherings of the King's English....

To be fair 'aks' and 'seen' are part of African American Dialect and have been for generations. But if one isn't African American, using it is inexcusable.

Pacific instead of specific, however, is just moronic.

I hate that word 'guesstimate'.

slag!

jacpod Level 8 July 22, 2018

@goldenvalleyguy also nasty slang term for a "morally loose woman" and yes slag is also what you get when coal is totally burnt out.

Science doesnt know everything usually used to shore up some long discredited alt therapy i know science doesnt know everything but that statement in no way validates the bullshit you are trying to peddle or pass on with shitty health memes oh and retarded used as an insult when people with learning disabilities are used as a negative you know you are just brain dead scum it seems very prevalent in the usa to use this word negatively even by people who claim to hate any form of discrimination shame on you

weeman Level 7 July 22, 2018

When someone gets a task done themselves or with the help of someone else and follows with a 'Thank God'. Thank the person who helped or just be proud of yourself.

I agree that when someone helps you, you should thank them but I don’t see the problem with them thanking god. They might believe it wouldn’t have been possible without them.

@rikudorias Isn't that exactly how that person is undermining their own potential?

@DSGavde how so? Even from an atheistic perspective we wouldn’t be able to do it without everything that lead to us being here.

@DSGavde you can still admire your musical skills and thank god. It’s not undermining your potential I mean we didn’t get our hands by practicing. You know what I mean.

@rikudorias Going by that logic, every person born handicap has 'God' to 'thank'.

Things leading to you this far in life are your toil, of those who brought you up and those who helped you throughout your life.

Quantum when that person doesn't even know what quantum really is....

I'm not likely to instantly lose respect over an uttered word or phrase, but it may cause me to jump in with some questioning dialog ...

then we'll see.

Liberry

Pook Level 5 July 23, 2018

Going forward – where else are we going?
Trust me – no. It means the opposite too often.
American spelling – not including naturally arising differences such as "mom" (mum elsewhere) – English cannot be tidied up, but if you are going to try, do so collaboratively, with all other English speaking people included in the effort.

It's one I never use, and wish no one else would – or at least use sparingly: UTILISE!

Corrupt

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.