Agnostic.com

3 1

12 STEP GROUPS
There's been some discussion of 12-step groups here but I don't think there's been a general discussion of them in one place. I have been working a 12-step program for 6+ yrs. I would've gone sooner but it took me awhile to figure out what to do with all the 'god-stuff'. I had to create my own higher power, rewrite the serenity prayer, substitute 'connection' for 'spiritual' and figure out how to respond to any possible theistic bullying. Any other non-believing 12-steppers out there?

kmdskit3 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm going to be honest, at the moment I'm too lazy to read all the comments. That being said, I've been doing AODA counseling for about ten years. I've been in the mental health field for about 30. I've seen twelve step programs help some people, and I've been a little uncomfortable with the amount of 12 step bashing on the site.

I had to go to AA because of a court order; The Jesus freaks didn't really care for my comparing Peter Pan come flying out of the sky to their Jesus! They also didn't like it much when I called him a glorified primate!! Oh well!!

The god-stuff can be difficult for us but you can find your way around it. I also found I did better when I just let the jesus freaks be. If they would leave me alone in my non-beliefs then I would leave them alone in theirs. @WarrenPerry

One here, sober since '05, though not been to the meetings in a few years after getting chewed out a few times about prayer and some general shots about disbelief.

Zster Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

Yeah, I've had to stand up for my non-beliefs a few times in meetings. Sounds like it's been worse for you though. Have you thought about going back? @Zster

Oh yes, I plan to attend my fave noon meeting once I retire and can be away from work. I am not sure I had it any worse than others, BUT was pretty upset knowing that the drinking kills and that no one should run any desiring to stop off.

@Zster Don't know if EA's 12 Traditions are the same as AA's but if anybody gets too holier than thou to me or to someone else in a meeting I just quote #3 from The Twelve Traditions: "The only requirement for EA membership is a desire to become well emotionally." Good luck.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.