Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK Noam Chomsky Climate Change Speech 2017 - YouTube

5C Higher Temps by 2100 Probability 93% and
Mass Extinction

EdEarl 8 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Prof. Guy www.McPhereson.com , a controversial figure, suggests that the end of the Anthropocene will start in a year, and all life will be wiped out by 2026. His suggestion is that we all live the best lives in the meantime.

Sadly, our society does not seem to have the will to save ourselves. As Chomsky mentions, many Evangelicals are actually looking forward to the end of the world. Some even preach that it is sacrilegious to interfere with God heating the planet up because it is God's will. Nero fiddled while Rome burned. We fiddle while Miami floods.

It's scary, "Evangelicals are actually looking forward to the end of the world." It's mass delusion, with no one in control, and the oligarchs have places to evacuate their family in case of collapse. Climate change will not forget them.

Someone should make a movie where the upper classes keep themselves cool and fed with their money and power while the part of the lower classes that survive become climatized or somehow evolved to handle it. Then there's a revolution. There could be a conservative president with orange hair.

I know that's not really possible but it'd make a great movie and might make people think.

The rich will not be safe from climate change, regardless of how deep they bury their enclaves and how well stocked they are.

@EdEarl True, but it would make a great movie

@towkneed It might be something like a prequil to "Beneath the Planet of the Apes."

There will plenty of innovation to tackle the problem with many strides already made, but the government needs to ramp up investment in climate change as part of the defense budget because it is a national security matter. We'll be better positioned once Cheeto Benito is gone along with the rest of the GOP clown show.

dokala Level 7 July 22, 2018

If the government could rally the people now as they were to fight WW2, we might have a chance.

@EdEarl now which government are you referring to...the current American one? Not a chance here...they are systematically disabling what was previously put in place, to slow down and protect...

@Freedompath I know there is no chance with our current government, and it will take decades to undo the shit they have already done. That's why I said, IF.

@EdEarl well if that is what we are working off of..,we CAN always hope! But, under this time frame, I better do some serious mind-work, on my great-grandkids!

@Freedompath I wish you luck with your offspring

He keeps trying to warn and educate...with some people nothing seems to work! Those people seem to have made up their minds, before they came to earth...funny thing about that!

Yes, he does. I think he feels both obligated and honored to be invited to speak.

@EdEarl HE also, really is an authority and people ought to pay (serious) heed!

Our best chance now is automation and AI. To minimize climate change will take one or more engineering project about as large as all previous engineering. Only AI will be able to do it.

Of course, sequestering CO2 is essential. That can be done by growing algae, composting it, and spreading it around the world to improve poor lands. Again, it must be a vast project that can sequester an amount per year, on the order of the carbon contained in a cubic mile of oil.

We also need to pump energy into space. Robots could spread white reflective biodegradable paint across the arctic tundra where ice would normally be, put white floats on the arctic ocean to simulate ice packs, lay down white tarps on tundra in the winter that would normally be covered by snow and remove them in spring.

Large areas in deserts, with few people, might be colored white to reflect more heat, or build solar cells and lasers to pump energy into space. Each of these projects is larger than any project in human history, things that require massive automation to build and manage.

EdEarl Level 8 July 22, 2018

Good luck selling those ideas to mainstream America! Some people will wait until the last minute for everything...we can only hope they are not the majority!

@Freedompath I'm not trying to sell them. I'm sure that others have projects in mind, some probably better than my ideas. I put those out to help explain how difficult climate change remediation will be. Some think it is not possible.

@EdEarl we can only hope, that people with ‘the where with all’ will take heed!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137034
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.