Agnostic.com

24 1

Race/ethnicity

What are everyone's thoughts about dating someone of a different ethnicity or race? I had mentioned in a previous post that dating Latinos /Hispanics ,for me,makes for an extremely volatile relationship. I find them extremely attractive, but it is very difficult to find a man who is free thinker and one who is okay with a woman not having/not wanting children. My roommate is a Puerto Rican male who agrees that families and religion are an integral part of the culture.

Kojaksmom 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing wrong with interracial relationships. However because of embedded cultural differences could problems

I'm sure you can find agnostic atheist in every race and culture in the world just not many many.

Yeah, intercultural relationships can be difficult. And with a lot of races in a lot of places (lol) there is a separate culture. While I mostly love that, it is a pain in the ass sometimes. Certainly nothing wrong with it, though. I dated a black guy once - was one of the nicest relationships I ever had. He was Muslim, too.

I believe it the theory of evolution so I have no problem with other races as long as they are agnostic and believe as I do.You have good and bad people in all races and genetically we are all the same. we just have different features. We have no problem with different colored dogs and cats so I see no difference in people. I just see different personalities and some I like and some I don't like.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

My uncle went to Japan during the Korean war and brought home a Japanese lady as his wife. I grew up thinking mixed "race" marriages were AOK and normal. I dated a Hispanic man and he was not the typical Hispanic and we got along great. I have dated Asians and black males as well. I think people are people, skin color is immaterial.

Would you have coped as well if their cultures were dissimilar to yours? Say they called to prayer 5 times a day? Practiced FGM? Insisted on having their parents to live with you as an extended family? Where you could not have physical contact with your male partner during your period? Their culture places less emphasis on individual property and the tribe or clan owns the bulk?

My tuppence worth is that my observations indicate that differences in culture cause more friction than racial differences.

Again, people are people. Now their belief system may cause issues. I have dated a couple of men from India, and a couple of men from the middle east. I didn't like the way I was treated, they may have thought I was a bit uppity. The relationship did not continue. They did not fit into the lifestyle I had, and I was willing to change who I am. As people they were good people. Because of beliefs they held of how I should act and how they acted towards me it was not a viable relationship.

@Treasurehunter I think if you did away with the differences caused by RELIGION, the rest of your examples would be a piece of cake. "No, your parents cannot live with us." LOL! 🙂 (Kidding......sort of....maybe not.)

@BlueWave I understand what you are trying to say but I believe that culture is a bigger problem. Say they do siesta's instead of keeping working or the shop open, in some countries they do not have any urgency to provide you with a service. Would you be happy with a chaperone with you on a date? etc

@zeliasgrand I am making the point that cultural differences can annoy people more than the mere difference in the colour of their skin. In my experience, people sense the differences in culture more than the race. Eg. Years ago in school a lad with known BNP sympathies said " I hate Pakis but Hitesh is my friend". Hitesh was a Pakistani origin boy whose behaviours and manners were very westernised. He did not see Hitesh's ethnicity because his public culture/manners were no different to his own. He also did not see my difference in ethnicity to his .

My example of siesta closing hours was that when people do somethings differently, it can annoy you, you notice it. There is "nothing morally wrong" in that behaviour.

There is something to take note about "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". As with most sayings or guides, there are limits.

Cheer Up there are Latinos/Hispanics that had been liberated off the religion. Our culture due proximity to the US is in constant expansion and evolution. I dropped christianhood on Puerto Rico on my very early teens so. You will find a partner that will, like you not finding interest in seeding children or that had already accomplish that and is not wanting anymore. He will be for you as you are. I am not your typical Rican that grew up in the states or most likely in New York. I had lived in Spain, Greece and Germany. Served in the military. Was married once and fathered 3 adult children. And I am not unique there is plenty like me. I had seen what the world has to offer. And there is plenty out there in this life for all of us to find and enjoy. You will find maybe a freethinker from a different Latin American sister nation americanized enough to fit what you are looking for... Never give up your Quest. Your soulmate will not be volatile or demanding... trust me on that one. May you find your witness to your life.

your offspring may be considered hybrids ... the best humanity has to offer

Or mutts, yeah? I don't think there are any pure "race" humans, right?

@zeliasgrand LOL!! Not at all. Did you see my other post earlier? My point was that we are all mutts (hybrids)..

Every culture has decent men in it. You just have to look.

I see no problem with it. I have dated Hispanic men and have been engaged to an African American and an Iranian (not at the same time of course)

People should live and love as it suits them. But we are shaped by our culture and experiences and cross-racial relationships, like cross-faith relationships, are bound to have unique challenges.

Free thinkers, sadly, are a rare breed everywhere but are existent in every ethnicity. But there are cultures which does not have the concepts of dating that prevalent. That might be a problem.

I am open to dating with diversity. Maybe they'll include that on dating profiles as we grow..

I feel that attraction has no culture or race. I have dated beautiful ladies that I felt excited that they accepted me. Having fun and enjoying the company can be an extraordinary experience. Here's an example.

Watch "HOLDIN' ON TO YESTERDAY by AMBROSIA (original studio version)" on YouTube

As a partner in an interracial marriage I will just say that race means nothing but culture can mean a lot. It sounds like you have already have given it considerable thought and I agree with your roommate.

gearl Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I do too. It's not all bad, but it's all bad for me. I'll give you an example. If your love interest is Hispanic and they don't want to introduce you to their family, dump them immediately.. that almost always indicates they are just using you for one thing or another..

@Kojaksmom What if they are simply selective about who they bring home to the parents?

if I fancy them and like them then it's all good

Hey I'm Latino! Lol, joke. Personally it doesn't make a scrap of difference to me, I find women of all races attractive, some less than others, but it's the connection that counts.

If the love is there and as long as the couple is able to work past other things, I say why not?

Yeah, has little to with color of skin and more to do with culture...........

Anything goes for me. Being a mutt myself, who am I to limit humans ?

I think people should date any person of any race, creed, hue or nationality with whom they are a good fit. End of my opinion.

I don't have any problems with race because there is only one race and that is the human race.

That's true, but there is culture. It may also be a female issue as well .I suppose there is not a culture on the face of the Earth that is degrading and dismissive of men in general, however ,the same can't be said for women.

I love other cultures. I have dated men from all cultures except Asian... Latin men are more family oriented over all and tend to be Catholic due to their culture... Not all are though.

My ex is Hispanic. I met her in 1987 and she already had two small children. I was originally opposed to having children, but I feel in love with her. We had three children together. I enjoyed being a father. I would attend a catholic church with her and the kids up until the turn of the century. I started having doubts about religion. I started out by exploring Deism, then Agnosticism and Atheism. We are no longer together and went our separate ways in 2014. Our kids are now grown, so maybe we were only together to raise children? I really don't have an answer.

That's my problem with Hispanics, baby making and God.

Seems completely acceptable to me. My best friend (a white guy) has been happily married to a black girl forever and they have a beautiful family. It;s all about the individuals

It’s only fiery if you date someone with opposing views. If you like Latinos, find one who shares your ideals. Then you won’t fight all the time. Or is the fighting what you like about the relationship? ????

I've dated a few, and found them to be too traditional.no, for your information I don't like fighting in relationships. Family and God are too ingrained in their culture for me to find a needle in a haystack.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13763
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.