Agnostic.com

41 3

How do you cope with the fact that any day you will die and that will be the end?

Hi guys, I would like to get your view on how you cope with the fact that any day you will die and that will be the end?

I am a person that thinks a lot and sometimes I end up with very weird thoughts and this is something that interests me. I enjoy finding deeper meaning in things.

In my case for example, last year was a very stressful year for me so I decided to do more of the things I like and less of the things for the future. So this year I will do more "Carpe Diem" and less stress.
#carpediem #whatislife

JesusOrtega21 5 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I hear of a celebrity keel over...
I'm like... whelp... made it past that one!
/shrug
😛

How do I cope?

Well ... easily. Without effort.

I just know it to be true and accept it. It's simply not an 'issue'.

In truth it's something I barely think about - and certainly something I don't worry about.

Live your life. When your time comes it will just happen. Do not waste whatever time you have left worrying about when am I going to die. Everybody dies. Do fun things and enjoy.

I don't concern myself with it much at all. Dying is part of the program. Obviously, I would rather it take its time getting here. At my age, I'm at that 'waiting for the two minute warning' stage, so it sure as hell wouldn't make much sense to worry over it now. Sure, I'd like it to be quick and painless, too, but since I'm not planning ahead in that manner either, I've no control over that aspect.

What is there to cope with? Your just accept reality and go n today. As far is death itself. there is nothing to cope with.. You simply cease to exist.

I don't think about it all too much. I do things I enjoy, and try to do those i don't thatll get me further in life to be able to do even more things i enjoy. Maybe ill even be able to make some sort of impression on the world, for however short of a period that may be (whether its 1 or 1000 years makes no difference really)...nice to think i might go on living after i die through something i love and worked hard on, or just did something good in the world even if it doesnt last until after my death (rescue an animal/s, write 1 or more books, change peoples lives for the better throuh whatever relationship we have/had, maybe even invent or discover somethig that has an impact on society in some way, etc). Nothin matters really, but we have to find meaning in our lives if we don't want to live an unthinking, survival and reproductuion-oriented life, or kill ourselves.

I'm totally fine with it. There's absolutely no point in me being any other way about it. It's inevitable and fretting over it is a waste of time.
You do that Carpe Diem. Today is all we really have. Everything else is unknown.

I have important things to think about, and thinking about the end interferes. I just don’t.

I don't cope. I just live and reflect and always have a calling card to remind me when my ego gets ahead of it's self. "Memento Mori" yes originally a catholic Idea but I don't reflect on the afterlife or soul portion just the remember you're not Immortal and death comes for us all don't fear it and live.

I just try to leave as music, art, and writing in my wake. Will anyone remember my work 20 years after i'm gone? Eh, probably not. But i feel better writing a song than i do worrying about death.

After you're/we're gone, memories don't matter. I "retired" in 1994 at age 41 as I figured/calculated I had enough ongoing material wealth to continue living in "a/the style" of choosing... And what I do, I do for myself... yes, including making the world a better place (smallish foot print, no children...) and staying on good terms w/ others. But... a post death legacy of some sort? Meh.

I still feel better leaving behind some tangible creative output. Art, music, and creativity are pretty transient. Leaving behind hard copies or internet archives of things makes the creative process seem a little less pointless. And thus, makes life a little brighter in my mind.

Cope with knowing when you die it’s over. This is an Agnostic site. Agnostic = I don’t know. So to me, I’m clueless as to what may or may not happen. I feel I have the same chance to go to heaven as anyone, and I also have the same chance as anyone to just be dead. Every time someone asks me the unknowable, I just answer, “I don’t know “. Most days I’m fine giving that answer.

I always think this when I see people running.

It will make everything that’s happened in my life that much more special, as there will be no more ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

I just had a health issue where I thought I was on my way out at any minute for weeks. Though I of course don't want to die, as an Atheist I have no real fear about what will happen to me if I did die. I was much more concerned about the actual process. Fortunately, they hacked out my gallbladder and I am fine now.

I don't have an issue with it-I'm more concerned with not having completed my work during my life (I have young adult kids with disabilities who need me till they die, and I'm not likely to outlive them...)

I was dead before I was born and that wasn't a big deal.

I have thought about it as we all must have. whats the point?

I think of this from Neil deGrasse Tyson: "I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime"

I'd like to see a figuring for the energy involved in the process (of cremation, distribution...) vs. simple burial (sans formalin, casket... clothes even).

As much as it's possible I try to live 'in the moment' because when I eventually die I won't even know I'm dead because there will be no one there anymore to know anything. Kinda puts real 'zest' into life/existence.

Ya, I'm trying to learn how to do that. Sage advice.

Sage advice ? Get into the books of the American philosopher Alan Watts. Deep subjects written in an easy to understand style with sometimes lots of mischievous humour.

Having spent a big portion of my life in depression and constantly feeling as if I was dying and now...somehow being mostly free of depression...death seems like a natural outcome of having lived! I have no fear of death, nor am I worried that it will come to soon. And, I harbor no desire to live forever. Yet, I am not finished with life...

My opinion is that nostalgic people (like me) want to hang on longer... to see a Mars colony; to see medical advances that would blow my mind, and other things. Letting go of my existence scares me. How do I cope? It's a work in progress.

Why worry about something that is inevitable? I hope it just happens though. My partner was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago November an told it would be his last Christmas. It was. That sucked. He wasn't ready to go. I don't know how I will react if given a death sentence

Nothing to cope... had faced death face to face and is what it is. Live your life to the fullest. Brother in law just got sick and 3 weeks later was gone, very inopportune and unexpected at 7 years my junior but we can not give much thought about our possibility to check out at any moment... sickness or accident. Enjoy life because it may be the only shot we got.

Death is an inescapable consequence of living, you are doomed to die from the moment you are conceived. That never changes, just how we look at it. So I just accept it.

"Cope"? How do you cope with the fact that he sky is blue today? I do not understand this question, sorry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.