Agnostic.com

24 4

Do you play a musical instrument?

I'd love to know more folks who make music in addition to listening to it. I'm a singer (chorus mostly) and a pianist in the classical music world. Who else is out there?

chicagojcb 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sing, play bass guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo, recently decided to pick up the violin and hope one day to take up piano. I like most music but I enjoy playing mostly Irish folk.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 9, 2018

I play and also teach Recorder / Flute / Oboe and Clarinet

1st clarinet in high school band. Didn't do much to get me laid, till I took up guitar. 😉

Trivia question ; What was the only number 1 hit record that featured a recorder?

@273kelvin - wouldn't that be Stairway to Heaven?

@Hominid Never no1 (I think). No Ruby Teusday

I used to teach piano. I have a family of recorders (all except the bass). Play the alto best. Don't get much chance these days, though. Teaching is a wonderful way to stay in the game, though, don't you think?

Hi Kelvin. I think it was Melaine's "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday". And it was a Treble (Alto) recorder being used , mostly at the end of the song.

I am a horrible guitar player....a slightly better bass player....and I have a voice that makes dogs whine....so yep....been in a bunch of bands...haha

Guitar (jazz).

Several and I enjoy playing in a few groups as well.

I'm a self taught closet guitarist who just recently started doing open mics. I've done 4 so far. Getting some positive feedback even when I thought I sucked. I sing ok enough to accompany myself but would really love to do some harmony and duets. Some of the other musicians have friended me on facebook and invited me to other open mics in different towns so I guess I'm being accepted into the community. Kind of exciting for me.

That's terrific! I, too, love making harmonies more than anything else. I hope you get to do that, and I hope you let us know about the experiences!

My only internal clock works during partnered dancing. Own guitars, wind controllers, keyboards, bongos, congas, guiros, maracas, but I can do and produce music via software in computers, Acid, Band in a Box, Sonar and a few others. Write lyrics in 2 languages, Never had the inclination of being a musician like my daughters and son is the dancer now. Can't sing but do my own. I just posted a video. Welcome to our little niche of enlightenment with your talent. I can copy and receive International Morse Code, Military Trained, he, he, ha, he, he. No I am not a musician.

Play bass with a celtic band. Play banjo (5 string) with two other groups. Play some tenor banjo and mandolin. Can play rhythm guitar. Next project is to get up to speed on an Euphonium. Think making music with others is about as good as it get.

I agree! LOVE celtic music. Sadly, we don't live near each other so asking where your band plays won't help. If I ever get out there, though...

Acoustic guitar. Electric guitar. Bass. Some keyboard.

Guitar

I sing and play guitar. I front a local band and have written most of our originals, some of which clearly show my atheist bent

What style of music do you write?

pretty diverse...somewhere in the overall rock genre with a hint of Americana and such thrown in.

Piano, violin, voice.

I am a guitarist and was teaching myself piano when l had access to one. I got interested in playing music by learning to play the autoharp, which was easy. I would love to play classical piano.

Lifelong musician here. Fumbled around with piano since the age of 4. Learned music theory playing trumpet at 8. Started learning guitar, bass guitar, banjo, mandolin, ukulele and drums at age 16. Been playing guitar and singing professionally since 18. Member of many successful performing bands over the years. Currently semi retired recording studio owner, engineer, producer, and recording artist. I'm always interested in collaborating with talented people. I have connections to major labels if I find a star quality talent.

Wow. The recording side of things is something I know nothing about. It's as much an art as a science, right?

@chicagojcb Yes production of a song is a mix of art and science. See photo of Console and control room.

Music producer myself, but a pianist at heart. Self taught and never learned to read music. I Had softwares that would emulate any instrument through my midi keyboard. Some with articulations that were so small that it came down to a variation in velocity, this allowed my to make some gorgeous music.
SoundCloud.com/nathanel-steam

Drums (Rock kit), a little bit of acoustic guitar.

@Chicagojcb
Listener only. Used to be a radio announcer/presenter/producer/supplier in all genres except pop or as I call it "three month shelf life pap". The religious housewives on the committee did not like my constructive criticism of their protection of inferior standards and of local commercial radio.

I can't play a triangle but i can sing ok

I am a music lover. I listen mostly to classical, but not to the exclusion of all other genres. I don't play any instruments, but I do write songs (lyrics with the tune in my head) for some bands around who want originals. There are a number of people here who play.

I'm trying to learn violin. I played clarinet for years and hated it, but I adore violins.

Kudos and best of luck!

I play harpsichord, mainly. Organ as well. I love playing chamber music, especially Bach violin, flute and gamba and harpsichord sonatas. I love opera, also. What's your favorite opera? Mine is Rigoletto.

Verdi's Macbeth -- because the music is so intoxicating.

My favorite opera might make me a heathen. Lol I'm obsessed with Repo.

Tympanist Percussionist saloon singer

I'm not familiar with an opera called Repo.

I play classical Armfarts, but have branched out to Country Nose Hair Twang.

If you add some foot stompin and jug hootin to your skillset you could be a one man hillbilly band. I'm used to getting paid for my advise but I'll throw that one in for free. The next one will cost you one bitcoin! Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.