Agnostic.com

48 6

Money is power? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Knowledge is power. Money is a tool to use that power.

Money gives you options.....
A lot of money can give you power..yes..influence too.

Not necessarily, but "no money" is usually "no power".

True and this is why it must be removed from campaigns and public funds used to mount campaigns and give each candidate the same amount to finance their run. Corporations and money cartels buy politicians who do their bidding and this is destroying the middle class via taxation and low wages in lieu of fairness.

You talk good sense.

@Denker Thank you. Have a nice day.

Mostly true. The wealthiest one percent of people control the world's laws and are generally backed by fundamental religious groups

Because.....god isn't powerful enough?

Neither true or false.

Money is not power, but it is a potential power-tool. My parents were both obsessed with it and the status it gave them. I went the opposite way once i was old enough to think for myself.

I view money to be much like the power of intellect, voice, words, or even a gun. They can all be used to overpower others, but can also be used to help others.

I've always been paid very well for what i did, so it has never been really important except as a freedom tool. Money was always just there when i needed it. Now that i have very little, i am still as free as i want to be, and maintain my freedom in many other ways and with other tools.

Which is exactly why i believe what i do about money.

Its power and security, but does not purchase happiness or i say it Love!

in America, like it or not, money buys everything. Influence, freedom,power and privilege just to name a few.

That depends on what you mean by power, doesn't it?

Knowledge is far more important than money..

@dc65 -- That too is subjective and open to question.

Unfortunately, money buys power, but not justice.

t1nick Level 8 July 23, 2018

It is a form of power, but knowledge is as well.

Knowledge is far more important than money..

If you have enough and power is your goal, sure. Poverty sure ain't.

False It is the person who wields it.

yaya87 Level 5 July 27, 2018

As I see it, money is an accounting system that keeps track of the interchanges between you and society. Assuming you’re not a robber the money you have equals your contributions less the goods and services you used. So yes, interacting with society by trading gives individuals MUCH more power than trying to go it alone.

But that power is limited to the offerings of society. For real personal power, joy, and freedom, in addition to money you need deep conscious awareness, appreciation, and gratitude for the staggering implications of the gift of life.

The accounting goes a little rye when you use a finacial advisor from UBS and he allows you to loose more than half your investment in two days and then saids that's the way it goes. This same advisor would not put in stop loss prevention stating that his clients have never had a need for this measure. To make matters worse this was a personal friend.This has resulted in a very course change in my retirement. If I hadn't step in against his wishes at the time I did I might not have anything left at this time.So much for what I had contributed to society.I left his company immediately.

@Marine I certainly sympathize with your plight. I’ve also had bad experiences with brokers, but nothing like what you describe.

It’s hard to see how playing the stock market contributes much to society. I see how making and holding investments for the long term is a positive contribution. Sounds like your friend gave very mistaken advice. I hope you have better luck in the future.

@Marine When I was told I had to remove my retirement funds from the plan it was in , I looked for an investment advisor as well . One of the questions I asked them was , are you rich ? One lady began telling me she was , because she had a family and believed in God . Others became insulted that asked them . So I changed my question . I began asking if they had invested their own money in any of the plans they were recommending . No they hadn't . I figured , if they aren't confident enough to put their own money into any of their plans , then I wasn't either . Another financial advisor , said he could safely invest the entire amount , but he would claim 3% of it first .

Try getting by without any, you are powerless.

it gives you the power to make loans to friends if they know you have it to loan. seems like more money you have the less people like you

If you have enough, most definitely.

Money certainly is influence

Money can be used to buy power but mostly it buys headaches...

Both true and false. Money can’t buy you every sort of power, but it can buy quite a few. Mostly though money is freedom and security.

Depends what the power is. For control and authority, yes. For freedom and peace of mind, no

Unfortunately true.

yes

Marine Level 8 July 24, 2018

It absolutely is.

It doesn't hurt to that end.

Mokvon Level 8 July 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138321
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.