Agnostic.com

184 25

What if you are wrong and there IS a god

Im atheist . And I get asked this often . Was curious to know other non believers answer to this . Without getting into to much detail my answer is simple. If I am wrong and im hell doomed for not believing then thats fine with me . Maybe hell is where I belong . Because there is just to many things in the bible itself I can't justify . Too many evilness . God murdered o don't know how many people including kids . He tortures gay people . Ect. I will not bow down before such an evil being . I also have questions for him as well. One being why has remain hidden ? Why did he leave behind no evidance of his existance? And even more confusing leave more evidence of him NOT existing and then throw us in flames for eternal torment for not believeing him ? If he does exist we have a mad man on charge and we should all be fearful of this lunitic . So send me to hell god because I would never follow you anyways

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

184 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have honestly never gotten this question, but if I did, I'd ask what my questioner would do if he believes in the wrong god.

Hum let's see. Last I checked there are more then 3400 gods but that was a while ago so there are probably a lot more by now. Looks to me it's us, the human race, against them. I'm a marine. I'll take more of them down before they even know what's going down. 🙂
But back to reality. I'd really love to kill a god. I here once you do you get it's power.

Something else you could ask them is What if your right and you found out that the god you worshipped, dedicated your whole life to, come to find out it wass a god but not the one you worshipped and he also is a jealous god and because they didn't worship him exclusively I guess they go to hell as well

I agree with your approach. Instead of arguing whether the christian god is good or bad, reply with the same question: what if you find out you picked the wrong god? I’m reminded of a South Park episode where they find themselves in a group of recently deceased and the angel announces that only one religion was correct and everyone else is going to hell.

Typical answer by me, like yours.. "So what"

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug." - Mark Twain

I always answer "I'm not wrong".

I have no need to justify not believing fairy tales to anyone, nor to answer their fairy tale related "what if"s.

If there is a god the afterlife will be an endless scream of misery or agony.
He may put you in the basement. Imagine what he'll do to the people he likes.

You seem obsessed with flames and being thrown into flames. I have to ask which god is it that I am wrong about? It certainly cannot be the biblical god. Too many contradictions in the book. Then people forget that Jesus himself said he had come to save the lost sheep of Israel and later, Saul of Tarsus expanded that idea to include the Gentiles. Oh, it's OK because he is St. Paul. WTF?
At a checkout yesterday there was some trouble with the credit card and a man in line said it will all be embedded in your body soon as a chip. That day is coming, he said, and it's coming soon. I left thinking that many people today actually deserved the biblical god. It's a crazy world.

Well, the god you address is a nasty creature but you address him as if you believe in him and are angry. atheists are often accused of being angry at god, which is ridiculous because you can't be angry at someone who doesn't exist. the observations you make about the particular god you've chosen to observe are good and valid observations... of a particular fictional character. i can't tell from what you wrote whether you're just riffing on how it would be IF such a god existed, or whether you really do believe in one and don't like him/are angry at him, which, again, is NOT the definition of "atheist" (no matter how much some theists love to tell us it is). i am not accusing you of not really being an atheist. i am just telling you the impression your post leaves, at least how it impresses me.

now, i am not worried about a hell (or a heaven for that matter -- it sounds terribly boring anyway!) since if i don't believe in a god, i don't believe in hells or heavens either. but let's imagine for a minute that i am wrong. is the god that turns out to exist really the kind of god who punishes people for being mistaken? then maybe that is also the kind of god who punishes people regardless. is the god that turns out to exist a forgiving, reasonable god? then well oops. my point is, finding out there is a god or gods is not necessarily the same thing as finding out there is a hell or heaven or finding out that the god that exists has any particular interest in whether or not i believed in him/her/it. i don't give it a lot of thought. finding out there is a god or are gods after all is about as on my list of things to worry about as finding out i am really a unicorn and my horn got bitten off by the tooth fairy. but if i try really hard to imagine there is some kind of god who reveals him/her/itself to me, presumably after my death, i still have to imagine WHICH god(s), and what KIND of god(s) before i could imagine what, if anything besides "oops," i would do or say to that entity.

g

It can send me to hell.

well I don't have one so at least one god missing from the list!

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

I ask their god to strike me dead now. So far (50+ years) nothing.

xyz123 Level 7 June 13, 2018

I'm happy in my opinion that there is no God.

My reply: How do you know there is?

I have been asked this before too. My response seldom changes. IF I'm wrong and god does exist, then he is a fucking monster devoid of ANY empathy or compassion, and completely unworthy of 'worship' or adulation. Fuck god.

Is she hot

I read an interesting comment by a well known Spanish writer who said if there is a God then great and if there isn't so what? God is said to be forgiving so if you live a reasonable life, don't pull of a mass murder or do lots of evil stuff you are OK and can go to the magic place in the sky called Heaven (that doesn't exsist). If you just die and become dead you won't go anywhere. You will rot in a box or mold away. Better to be burned up and become a bunch of atoms and molecules and join the molecules and atoms of Elvis that are floating around in Space.

Iggie Level 3 Apr 10, 2018

Friends of mine often beg me to hedge my bets in case there really is a hell, I have had people crying , trying to get me to believe in a god . I rather think that 'brown bread' really is 'dead ' and I am not going to reincarnate as then, what would be the point of births?We 'd be pretty overcrowded- I know I am not being logical I am just firing off - But I truly don't fear death, bring it on!

Ask them what the difference is between living in this hell that God has created where he lets little kids be born into starvation in India and allows earthquakes and cancer and poverty etc., and the hell they fear?

And what if an earthquake knocks the entire western United States into the ocean? What if a comet wipes out all life on planet earth? What if Jesus hasn’t returned yet because his GPS got him lost? What if coconuts CAN migrate?

only by African sparrow

only by African sparrow

@Shep
What would an African swallow be doing migrating with a coconut over England?

Any "God" who tolerates a hell in his perfect creation is the keeper of that hell; i.e. the Devil. Whatever might exist that comes closest to being a God, no good atheist has cause to be afraid of it.

if you look at the bible the Devil doesn't really do anything but speak the truth

You cannot loose something that is not real. These religious people want all to join in on their misreable life. If I end up in hell, I will ask for a transfer, my god allows this so nothing to fear.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 29, 2018

Which one

Shep Level 4 Mar 14, 2018

What if they are wrong and realize they lived their lives in a closet to sacrifice their fun,
But then again, I know they are wrong and the what if is just wtf

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 8, 2018

What if there is a god and she only cares that we treat each other (including animals and environment) with dignity, respect, equality, and a gracious heart? Then all the religious right would be so fucked and all the agnostics and atheists would be all right.

If there was a God I can't believe he, she, it would be the DICK described in the Bible. If so he, she, it could use some anger management therapy.

I will be very surprised.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.