Agnostic.com

32 4

What do you read for pleasure/fun?

Not the books you read for school, work or to make a point but just simply for enjoyment.

Crimson67 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Edgar Allan Poe has always had a special place in my heart. I also have a love for feminist poetry and classic novels.

I like to read history, a little fixated around the Nazi period in Europe

@LennyP49 Irena was the nurse that was smuggling infants out of the ghetto that was captured and tortured right?

I am currently reading The Accidental Universe by Alan Lightman

Dr. Seuss, to my son

I really enjoy reading historical fiction, especially by Ken Follett. He really has a way of bringing history alive.

yep the description of the poverty in the 1300's is brilliant in pillars of the earth

CNN... and.... USA today. Oh yeah... that damn RV manual.

there will be a quiz on the RV manual

I am currently reading 'Elon Musk - How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is Shaping Our Future' by Ashlee Vance.

All sorts of things! Currently "The Man Who Knew Too Much - Alan Turing and the invention of the computer".

I re-read Don Quixote and Orlando every five years or so.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

2nd try here. ...Travel art gardening healing science writing gives me the most pleasure and I consider Atheists writing here within my 5 categories. ..good job most of y'all Atheists

These days it's mostly scripture: Dhammapada, Lankavatara Sutra, Bhagavad Gita. Buddhism and meditation.

I like to go to the library and browse fiction or not is fine with me.

Haven't enjoy a book for a while. But anything about enemy cousins Elizabeth I and Mary Stuart I found to be interesting history. video or book. As real true to life as possible, rather than hollywood version.

I highly recommend checking out Allie Brosh's "Hyperbole & a Half", inspired by her online blog.
It makes a great gift also. My daughter and I were having a tug of war trying to read it at the same time. It's epic and something of a thing that the book even came out as the author suffers from severe depression.

I could read stuff like that all day.

A lot but not all of these made it into the book: [hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com]

Comic books, erotica if its good material. Yea, anything to unplug sometimes!

I'm currently on the 3rd chapter of, "The God Delusion'' and also for light reading, I'm reading my dictionary/thesaurus for intellectuals.

For fun its fiction for me the less realistic the better

Odyn Level 4 Jan 9, 2018

Currently? Game Of Thrones

I read Dune cover to cover in three days when I was 16. This is child’s play.
Try Gormenghast.

@Gatovicolo Dune affected me the same way. Great book

@btroje the following books were mediocre by comparison, but Dune was amazing.

Music theory, guitar and guitar related gear reviews. Bios on bands I enjoy. I used to read a lot of sci fi and fantasy, but haven't much recently.

Almost anything Science Fiction with a preference for Hard Science Fiction where the author has taken the time to develop his characters well and they tend to run the show but the technology has not been forced into the back seat. That would be my number one choice.

Actually open to any genre, though I give Romance, Literal Fiction, and most Westerns a pass. I can get turned on by well written Urban Fantasy/Paranormal/Horror, but it has to be well thought out and presented.

Have you read any of Stephen Baxter's? If not, please do. I think you'll like them.

@Jnei -- No, I haven't, but shall look into it. I've been a bit lax in my reading lately. One, because of my own writing deadlines and two because of some pesky health issues. Thank you.

I like Sci Fi and Lord of the Rings types books. I also like to read books on history, economics and biographies of various famous people. Right now I'm re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert.

I love reading biographies written by Massey. I also love Tolstoy. I re-read Resurrection every year. I also enjoy a good horror or fantasy book now and then.

Autobiographies of explorers, and books on physics. I've never been able to get into fiction (I guess that's why I'm here).

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 9, 2018

especially when reality is so bizarre

I enjoy biographies, and any thing that may catch my eye in the book store . I recently finished the Sociopath next door

Non-fiction. Music, comedians, science.

I enjoy reading history. I am very much into history of science and ancient cosmologies. I have read a great deal of Law material as well. When I was young I read non-fiction, Physics, Chemistry and the Earth sciences almost exclusively. Now I lean more towards Brain sciences, Sociological and Philosophical material.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.