Agnostic.com

31 3

How convinced are you?

No, I am not a Christian in disguise, but I have come across atheists as vehemently anti-spiritual as I have Christians on the other side of the issue. So, I would like to know: how convinced are you that there are no gods/order to the universe, and, further, how deeply does that inform your views of life itself?

Thanks

Mikestr 4 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am certain that none of the gods that I have ever heard of exist. None of them make any sense. The common theme is that they fail at the point of what people understood at the time of their creation.
After that there is no way that I can be certain that there is no god(s) because that would be a logical fallacy. I cannot know everything therefore I cannot know that there is no god somewhere in the knowledge that I do not know.

CK-One Level 6 July 25, 2018

It's hard to put a precise number on a vague question which conflates gods and order. There are over 4000 known belief systems on the planet but no empirical evidence of a godlike entity. There is still no definitive answer to the origin of the universe. But there are known universal scientific laws which stand as evidence of order. Therefore I put 99% on my site question because that number was the best way to say i am nearly convinced there are no gods but I won't be positive until we factually know the origin of the universe.

I don't believe there's an order to the universe, at least one that's within our comprehension. But I also don't believe it's a god or other-worldly spirit that's controlling anything; I simply believe life is too mysterious and stupendous for us to know.

About 50/50, and that supports an adventursome outlook on life (and death). But I seriously doubt that the creeds of any particular religion are true.

So that pretty much sounds like a coin toss. You've come to that proverbial fork in the road, and can see no reason to choose one over the other. My recommendation would be to, as the poet Robert Frost so eloquently wrote in his poem The Road Not Taken, take the one less traveled, and maybe you will feel the gratitude of the poet, when he said:
"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

@pnfullifidian Thanks for the advice! I do like that poem very much but I have trouble trying to apply it here. Yes, I see atheism/theism as a coin toss, but I DON'T KNOW HOW to believe that it will land on heads (atheism) or that it will land on tails (theism). I can guess, but that's not the same. Moreover, I'm not really sure which is the road less traveled. Atheists think they are in the minority. OK. But each theistic sect sees itself as the minority. For example, Pentacostals see themselves as the few with the truth who are reviled not only by atheists, agnostics, Moslems, and Hindus but also by all the other false (so-called) Christian groups, and so on for many of the other denominations.

On the other hand, maybe the two roads that diverge in yellow woods can that of 1)taking a side or 2)continuing to exist with the question open; and maybe the latter is the road less taken of these. So, in this sense I think I feel the gratitude of the poet. It has made all the difference indeed. Peace.

@Wallace I have no words ... your journey, your life ... peace!

@KissedbySun True, a sigh can be taken a number of ways, but I believe most who read the poem take Frost's final two lines as an affirmation of the decision to take the road less traveled.

@KissedbySun Robert Frost looking back at his life with regret? Perish the thought! 😉

Finding. God.

After I became convinced that God exists, I immediately set out on a quest to find Him . But it took about 4 1/2 years for the quest to be realized . I understand now that the reason it took so long was because of one thing . That one thing is called sin . Sin is the thing that will keep us from really coming to know God . Therefore sin must be renounced and we have to submit to the. sovereignty of God in our lives . It was the willfulness on my part to find God on my own terms without totally renouncing sin that caused it to take so long . I repented if I commited a sin but due to the power that sin has on our psyche. and our spirit we need the redeeming power of God.to free us from the stronghold that it has on us . So I had to go through a process and it's a process that really works . It involves repentence ,submission to the will of God and accepting the sacrifice that He made for us because He loves us (John 3:16) and wants the best for us according to the Holy Scriptures . I'll just finish with this famous saying from the Master : "Whom the Son sets free is free indeed "

I am definitely convinced, but it's not an important issue to me in and of itself. it wouldn't even be something i thought about were it not for religionists acting so very aggressively, especially in politics, and were it not for my being challenged all the time over it. it sure seems to rile people up to think i live my life without bowing to some invisible entity in which they fervently believe. their fervor stokes mine, but not in the sense that i will become more atheistic. i mean, there is no such thing as "more atheistic." either i believe or i don't. i don't. that's all. i don't have an atheist's outfit, or sing atheist songs, or go to atheist meetings (unless this counts!) or think about it that much except in the context of sites like this, to which i belong BECAUSE of that challenge, and BECAUSE of religious aggression. otherwise... i just live my life, ya know?

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139717
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.