Agnostic.com

41 8

Does anybody else cringe at the sound of someone’s saying,” Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for my sins?”

I just want to make sure it is not just me to hear someone say that. It’s like they are constantly kissing jesus’ ass for so-called sins that all took place and started with one man and one woman eating from a tree because a talking snake convinced them to do so. Leave your thoughts below and tell me what you think about this.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Died way before I was born (if he even existed). I didn't ask him to. Knew nothing about my "sins". Can't pay for them. I refuse this "favor".

The scapegoat system is the ultimate in immorality. Asking someone else to pay for your crimes is moral cowardice. We mere humans would never accept the idea that someone could go to prison in place of another, serving the sentence for something they did.

The only reason Xians accept this system is that they also believe in a tyrannical, incredibly unjust God person whose retribution for the most minor infraction is eternal torture.

I believe the bible doesn't teach this.. i can show you how it teaches all have been saved and that God is bringing everyone back to "him"
It isn't a scapegoat, per say.. it is a means to find forgiveness when you cannot even forgive yourself.
Sadly people do use it as a means to do whatever they like.. but this isn't what it's purpose is

I could also go on and explain how even Christians get judged.. ..and it isnt about avoiding the reprimands..
..but I'm out of mental energy today

@OccultaUmbra That would be quite a feat, considering how many (including Paul the apostle) have used it to "prove" exactly the opposite: that "all have sinned and fallen short", and therefore unless they accept this sacrificial offering PDQ, they're all going to a real hot place.

Interesting fact: Jesus is also God, and he's also the Holy Spirit, all are one. Therefore God sacrificed himself to himself. It would be so much simpler (accepting for the sake of argument that this God person exists) to just grant forgiveness to everyone he wanted to forgive. But remember, this is the God who sent ten plagues to Egypt, and after each one, sent Moses to ask Pharaoh to let the Hebrews go; but before Moses asked, God took the precaution of hardening Pharaoh's heart, so that he would refuse, thus giving God an excuse to send another plague; rinse and repeat. The Hebrew/Christian God works in extremely mysterious, not to mention circuitous, ways.

To reiterate: we would not need forgiveness (again, for the sake of argument, I also don't believe in an afterlife) if there wasn't a God so extremely vindictive and harsh as to pass a sentence of eternal damnation for such offenses as picking up sticks on the Sabbath or speaking ill of Him, or believing in a different Deity. That last one is the biggie, and especially considering that we have NO rational basis to believe in ANY gods, being punished for non-belief is akin to a traffic ticket for failing to stop at that invisible stop sign over there. I would rather not be in an afterlife with that god, thanks anyway.

@Paul4747 well i agree if thats who you think God is.. i however believe scribes where corrupting the Law and Image of God for their personal Gain

I'm not even sure the old testament is that literal or supposed to be seen as literal.

There is no eternal torment in the bible.. Rome had to translate that into it through Latin.. ..and terror has kept it in there.

Paul is actually a big supporter of the salvation of all... ..even claims Jesus was a Man and not God.

..and you don't think feeling forgiven is essential?

I still don't have the mind right now..
I will pull up verses and better rebuttles later

@OccultaUmbra Only a person I've wronged can forgive me. If I insult you, I have to apologize to you and ask your forgiveness. If I take something that doesn't belong to me, I have to give it back or pay it back and work to earn forgiveness from the person I stole it from. That's the only way forgiveness can be earned.

A very generous person can forgive someone who hasn't earned it, but again, that's for a wrong committed against them, not against someone else. If Bob hits you, I can't forgive him. You have to do it. That's where the whole "Heavenly Forgiveness" racket breaks down.

As a Corrections officer, I've seen hundreds of men who can't earn forgiveness from their victims, because they've done unforgivable things. Their victims, in many cases, are beyond being able to forgive- because they killed them. In other cases the things they did scarred their victims for life, emotionally and psychologically. But those men, turning to religion, claim that "God has forgiven them" for their crimes against other human beings. In my moral compass, that's impossible.

I apologize if I'm overly argumentative, but I feel strongly about this.

I keep waiting for someone to say to me, “Jesus paid for your sins with his blood (or life).” So that I can reply, “…for everything else there is MasterCard.”

Hahahaha!

Okay... I'm stealing that one

Priceless. Lol

It does not bother me to hear anything religious people say relating to their biblical beliefs. I know it is just nonsense and let fly right on by. However, hearing them say absolute lies about how things are is another story. e.g. "America is a Christian nation and the Constitution is founded on biblical principles".

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, -- as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims], -- and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." Treaty of Tripoli Article 11

[politifact.com]

@Clupus Thank you. I am aware of this.

I really kind of chuckle inside. I did quickly lose interest in a charming lady a few months ago when l overheard her talking about having Jesus in her life. I don't really like to share someone with another man, especially him. I am afraid his influence would be to strong.

Lmfao especially when he encourages people to cut off body parts to keep them from sinning.

@EmeraldJewel It is some strange shit. I figured it out as a teenager and l ain't that smart. It has to be that a lot of these folks just aren't very bright.

When I was religious, I also cringed during communion when the pastor said “the body of christ shed for you” and “the blood of christ shed yor you.” That was sooooo goolish.

*ghoulish --- unless you mean a combination of ghoulish and foolish 😉

That one doesn't get me nearly as much as, "God had different plans." I don't know why, but that one drives me bat-shit insane.

Oh yes!!! I especially hate it when someone says,” There’s a reason this happened.” Even though it’s a case to where a child just died, yet the adult lives of someone lived but will be forever messed up from the injury and they call it a “Miracle.”

Doesn't make sense, does it? The people who wrote that bullshit really made impossible to believe that a act of violence could be your salvation. I don't know what they were thinking or smoking back then.

Hey hey hey never blame it on the weed

I cringe at all of that bullshit.

Right!

Yes, I do cringe. I also wonder how they can believe this while bring rational in other aspects of life.

I hear that kind of talk daily. I usually leave the room before I say something that will get me fired. I spend a lot of time at other people's offices.

The sh*t is annoying for real!!!

I always have the strangest look on my face when I hear that. Perplexed, because it is so ridiculous!

Lol it is ridiculous. Half the time I can’t fathom how so many people believe it.

I cringe internally. No point in making a public display of disdain.

Those words in and of themselves yes , do make me cringe, sounds awful selfish no matter whos is involved ,unless its a serial killer or pedophile, rapist those types of people i have no empathy for

Yes it does make cringe, including those words or variations on that theme popping up on my Facebook feed.

Fornax Level 5 July 25, 2018

I get this picture in my head when someone starts to utter nonsense it is like the words from the teacher in Charlie Brown all just squiggly lines.

azzow2 Level 9 July 25, 2018

As far as I know, they were not my sins.

It's incredible how many people believe this load of crap. I sometimes think they try to impress others and honestly don't believe, which is ridiculous.

Cringe? not quite. I've come to a point in my life when I'm gripped with incredulity, that I don't bother to hide anymore, look them in the eye and say "Prove it." To date they have not. When they press me citing the bible as the irrefutable source, I tell them about Mohammed's Miraculous ride across hundreds of miles of desert in the course of a single night(I think I'm capturing the salient points). When they inevitably challenge the reality of my claim I hold of the Qur’an as my proof and point out I have just as much evidence as they do.

It's so funny how much some are willing to believe when its their repository of apocrypha. One day I was arguing with my mother(a staunch Catholic) about the validity of the claims she was making. I brought up the Mormons, a group she considers a cult, and pointed out the similar ratio of evidence to claim. My sister butted in and with great emphasis told me "Sean you NEED to think about being more open minded!" I was proud of myself because without missing a beat I responded "Have you read the book of Mormon?". And with the look of someone who had just been asked if they had ever ate raw frog legs said "No!". I mentioned I had, though I preferred the Orson Scott Card version, and asked her how I could be more open minded.

So this got a little away from me and I’m sorry, but no, you are not the only one. I know they typically mean nothing but well. They have been told from day one that they are saving you from an eternal fate of infinite punishment for a finite crime by an all loving deity. If they know your an Athiest, or anything close, I think they are offered a toaster oven in heaven as a prize.

Clupus Level 4 July 25, 2018

I'm not picky I cringe at all of those silly ass statements

Im with you on that. Anyone I hear thank you jesus I assume that person is far too detached from reality for any good to be had on my life. Im like "no thanks. Next!"

That's like when somebody survives a plane crash where everyone else dies and people will invariably claim by the grace of God they lived it was a miracle and I'm just wondering so I guess God didn't like the other 200 people

Never heard that... maybe I had not being listening.

"God willing" or "by God's grace" are probably the two I hear most often, earning an eye roll.

Dew25 Level 7 July 26, 2018

It all creeps me out. I think religious people have to "wear" their religion like a badge to prove just how "good" they are. Sometimes i think religion makes one feel superior.

It all creeps me out. I hate the kitten fishing on Facebook. Every single post is about Jesus's love and blessings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.