Agnostic.com

148 5

What was your worst experience with religious people?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

148 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was 12. Mom was sick so she stayed home that night and the pastor came to get me to take me to church. I was the only non-adult there and I had to sit in on the adult class.
The pastor told me if there were other children there that we could have our own class. Somewhere along the way, I excused myself to go to the restroom, and when I came out I spotted 2 young boys about 9 and 10 out the window playing outside.
I had always been taught that it was our duty to bring others in, so thinking that I was doing a good thing, I went out to unsuccessfully convince them to come inside.
The pastor came looking for me and brought me back in. He said nothing to me, but the 1st thing that happened when I walked in the door was that my mom slapped my face.
Convinced that a pastor would never tell her a lie, it would seem that the pastor had told her that I left the church and was 'outside talking to boys'. I was punished without ever getting the opportunity to explain my side.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

It hurt so much that people of religion always believe what pastor and other religious leaders tell them.

In UK never had one, however I was literally groomed by a couple who were ostensibly selling us a house. They invited us round for dinner, offered us gifts, offered to let our kids go round to play in the pool and 'get used to the house'. Then they offered us to join their church. Basically when we said no, they withdrew from the sale. I felt violated.

@heavenhug Seriously? You have a stolen pic.

@heavenhug I would love to know u too . The picture of u donating blood is soo beautiful and real . U are clearly a very nice person .

@Pralina1 hahaha

Wow. that's really creepy

@Moravian it was in Arizona

@Amisja That explains a lot. Can't see it happening in the UK

@Moravian I would be completely freaked if it happened here.

I can tell you the day I walked away from religion was a few days after my best friend committed suicide. At the funeral, someone whispered behind me, "you know, suicides go to hell. He committed suicide because his family is pagan and didn't have jesus in his life."

My family is very religious and that was six years ago. Every day, I get a guilt complex that drives religion fostered upon me for "walking away from god." That is my worst experience with religious people. It's every day.

I'm so sorry. I can relate to your feelings so much. I'm currently being shunned by my parents and younger siblings because I won't go back to being a Jehovah's Witness. They will babysit my daughter but refuse to have a relationship with me. So every time I see them it's like I have to say goodbye over and over again and the wound can never heal. However, I have to live true to myself. I can live in peace and personal integrity knowing I'm not a part of something I don't believe in. Much love

I found this viewpoint quite comforting:

@Hardford nope no way i call bullshit.............no skyfairy no no no

I decided to turn my back in religion when i figured out that people can spend billions building churches but can't spend thousand to feed the poor in the same church and the homeless.. Instead of building Mega Million Cathedrals why not build Mega Million Homes for the Homeless.

i think the world need more understanding people like you.

I'm 100% on board with you there, Lewellyn! If I ever give to any charity today, it's the Salvation Army, because they are the only ones who walk their talk and spend like 90% of what they take in on the needy. But I'd much rather give the dough to someone directly and have done so! I walk my talk!

@Logician i worked for the salvation army......ooh my they are bad people, the religious ones that run the whole show.........they high grade any gold or jewelry very corrupt are the officers -majors ,colonels,generals ect.google the denver colorado salv army and you will see the racism story.....the folks involed were our regional heads here in the PNW when i started they are freaks;;;;;;the salvation army is a corp.we had corporate boss,s and mangers and so forth but the fanatics run it,they have total control......but pay no taxes ever cuz of the religious status bullshit.......i would recommend donating to local reuse stores.....these big entities are corrupt (in my opinion of course)

My brother-in-law was one of the 16 Marines killed in the c-130 that crashed over Mississippi on July 10. Almost every day after the names of the victims were officially announced, my sister started getting "sympathy cards" from Christians telling her that she needed to repent so that she could see her husband in Heave (ironically, he also was agnostic so that ship would have already sailed). Some included tracts, pamphlets, steps to avoid hell, and the conversion prayer. These were people that didn't know my sister or her husband, Brendan (or any of us for that matter). We have no idea how they got our address since we never announced that, but it was just freaky, and a disgusting violation of a human being's grief.

Sounds like something JWs would do. Exploiting people's grief and loss of a loved one to convert them.

I'm so sorry for your loss, @Benthoven, and for that of your family. (Sorry for the delay, I just saw the post.)

It must have been like a slap in the face every time your sister opened one of those vile cards. It's times like this that I can agree that the religious - or at least these religious - are mentally ill because I can't comprehend a sane person being able to commit such cruelty.

My trauma is this. My worst experience with religious people was when I was 17 and I had a group of three elders (older appointed men) assigned to assess my case of immorality. They are called a judicial community. Anyway they suspected I was lying to them about the exact events that took place being my boyfriend and I. They wanted to know details about how far we had gone sexually with each other. Supposedly they needed the information to discern whether or not to kick me out. But next they invited me to meet them at another kingdom hall (church). I thought it was just going to be us. They failed to mention there were going to be three other Elders and my boyfriend there.
So here I was, 17, the only girl there with 6 old geezers and my teenage boyfriend all sitting in a circle going into detail about our sex life. They asked us questions like, "Did you masturbate at all? How much clothes did you have on? Where was it? How many times?" Etc. Etc. VERY DISTURBING. I don't know how I didn't realize how wrong it was and why I didn't run out of there. The brain washing was strong with this one. (AKA: me.)

Glad we Catholics have the confessional. Do we sin again? Yes. Will we be held accountable? Yes...if we make no effort to improve behavior, we condemn ourselves. Can atheists make it to heaven? Yes

Matthew 12:31-32 (NRSV)
31 Therefore I tell you, people will be forgiven for every sin and blasphemy, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Many atheists act more "Christian" then Christians. They do not "...speak against the Holy Spirit..." Therefore they could be saved because of their actions while professed, but non-practicing Christians may not be saved "....in the age to come.".

The catholic religion is the most wack of all.

My best friend had AIDS and, when he didn't have much time left, he asked his older brother (who lived in another state) if he could see him one last time. His brother sent him a bible and told him he still had time to save himself from hell if he hurried. Oh, and he'd be praying for his soul. I can't fathom anything that hurt's another human being that intensely as being good.

That is just cruel.

Thank you, @EmeraldJewel. I thought so, too.

My mother told me not to have children because i'm an Atheist. It sounds really rough but I'm actually not really mad at her. I used to be very religious too and she's told me directly she simply believes that if I raised a child atheist then they'd go to hell in the afterlife. We still love eachother, but its been a Dificult split in the family.

"Mom with all due respect, that kind of God sounds like a jackass and intolerant of critical thinking, I'd rather chill with my homie Lucifer." If only it could be this easy.

love will keep you together

Listening to the stories of kids who heard some religious people praying for the death and destruction of non-believers, and those who don't practice their same religion.

Most wars between nations before the modern age were of religious causes, or so I thought. But it never really changed. Extremist groups up to now wage war and sow terror in the name of their religion

I came back from a Toys for Tots run to pick my son up from my aunt at her church one evening. One of the church ladies rushed over to tell me that if I was a good Christian that I wouldn't dress like that. I responded, "I'm not but if you were a good Christian, you wouldn't have said that. Maybe you should read your book about judging others."

With all due respect, could you please describe to us what was it that you were wearing that night? In what particular place of the church did you pick up your son? Did you enter the main church hall during service? In what particular place of the church did one of the church ladies rushed over to you?

@Monkmiester and i would have liked to have seen what she was wearing!! he he

I actually had someone defend the idea that you can rape children in the name of god. I told him that if he truly believed that then his morals were absolutely FUCKED. He became irate at the use of the word 'fuck' and declared that he could not tolerate such vulgarity. To sum up, he actually believed that child rape was acceptable but saying 'fuck' was unconscionable.

Holy shit. That's some serious cognitive dissonance, right there.

chimo,cut it off

When I was a kid I went to a Catholic School and we had to go to church so yeah probably going to church

been like that the first half of my life, just "going through the motions" so my mother won't feel sad

After my stepson committed suicide, a work colleague asked me if he was a Christian. Ben’s spiritual journey was complicated, but Christianity was part of it so I said yes. She then said “good, because that means he’s now in heaven.” Which by extension would mean that if the answer was no, and if he had lived longer it might have become no, that he would not be in heaven. I have little time for a spiritual philosophy that insists that it’s my way or you go to hell.

My family who are "born again" christians. All they talk about is jesus and try to convert me. They think I have to be "saved". The only thing I need saving from is them! They are judgemental hypocrites who are focused on materialistic things. They have no compassion!

Christians are the worst people on earth.

My oldest sister. Blocked me on Facebook over challenging her faith. Well, let me just point out, she's the kind of Christian that places Jeebus First on everything in life. That would include disowning anyone in her family that doesn't join her bandwagon. Yeah, my own sister hasn't talked to me in years because of "religion". Pretty pathetic if you ask me, and gives me even more reason to deny religion as a whole.

I am a professional house painter. I'd spent a week painting the house of a lovely older couple. On the last day, I was cleaning up and they were chatting with my boss. He's a former pastor and a heckuva good guy. When I entered the room, my boss joked, "Don't ask him about any of this, he's an Atheist" (We have a very good relationship, and discuss and joke about this kind of stuff pretty regularly). It was the wife's reaction that got me.

She looked directly at me, and said, " oh, and you seemed like such a nice man".

I was actually pretty shocked at how much that hurt.

Since then, I painted for them again. I didn't mention it. My experience has taught me time and again that there is simply no changing the religious mind.

" Oh yeah? Well, there are a lot of Atheists who've made some tremendous contributions to this world" Huh? Did you assume they think they are trash? Why do you think Atheist need some form of Affirmation? do you do that when someone says their black?

My few encounters with religious people have been a real hoot. Being human they also question their beliefs and I think at times are frankly unsure of them and questioning. Many can get pretty wound up if you let them know what you think. They will go far out of their way to let you know they are right. I have this sneaky feeling a big reason they don't like agnostics/atheists is because it makes them question their own beliefs and possibly have doubts and that can be very uncomfortable to them...LOL

YESSS!!! EXACTLY!! This is why the Jesus freaks really freak out when I ask them The Three Magic Questions! A guy I used to car pool with took about TWO YEARS to finally admit that he was beginning to "warm up" to them! You see, he was just totally afraid that if he admitted a little bit of critical thinking to enter into his life, it might make him to start questioning his beliefs about nearly everything. Can't have that, you see? He might have discovered that he was dead wrong in almost everything that he held near and ear to his heart! TTMQ go like this: What is the EXACT AMOUNT of fraud that ANY man or woman has the right to commit?
What is the EXACT AMOUNT of fraud that ANY man or woman has an actual obligation to endure?
What is the BASIC PREMISE that is being operated off of, in the instant case?
Man, those simple questions make people question all kinds of stuff, if they think about them too much!!

Randy

I think its healthy to evaluate your own beliefs every now and then. If you feel threatened by someone else's belief that's different from yours and can't cross-talk and debate - what sort of faith is that???

Every time a religious person tells me that they'll pray for me, while they have such pity in their eyes. Like I'm just trash, lost and unloved, and only their prayers will fix my broken soul. It does hurt me like it used to, now it makes me angry. I don't like being angry...

I'll pray for you ! I'm kidding when I left a cult that I was in for 10 years. I got a new job, car, and apartment. I met two sisters that I use to know in the church. I was telling them how better my life was and the older one just kept saying we're praying for you. Like I was dying or something. The older one looked liked she aged 10 years and the younger one was covered in rashes go figure.

I think people say things like, "I'll pray for you" for lack of anything else to say; they want what makes you sorrowful or sick to go away and they hurt seeing you going through it, yet feel helpless at stopping it, offering words of wisdom, so they offer that remark up. I don't think it's an attempt to convert you; it certainly isn't why I say it. Its frequently the only way they can think of to teach out.

Let me ask....what would be an acceptable thing to say to an atheist at a time of challenge or sorrow or even devastation? This is why I'm on this board - to gain a better understanding and know the proper things to say to comfort atheists and what not to say. Anyone?

I'll Pray for You is just a lame ass fd up way for the person saying it to feel better about themselves for having no pity, conscience or resolve to truly help the person they are addressing.

I have met some religious people and groups that have the personality of destructive cults. I hesitate to go into too much detail about this though because a lot of people don't know about cults and how they work. But if anyone has experienced anything with cults, feel free to add to this.

You are TOTALLY not alone. Technically, Christianity is a cult, depending on what dictionary you use.

I was in a fundamentalist christian cult for ten years. This is my six year out.

Most of them are illiterate and they can't make any good logic. They are also very angry minded people ????

JOY Level 2 Sep 14, 2017

just go on, move along

Every day with my wife and kids going to religious things at churches. It is clear they choose to be stupid and blind and have no respect for someone who has more experience, knowledge and understanding than they do.

been like that the first half of my life, just "going through the motions" so my mother won't feel sad

I was and am being shunned by a church community I once belonged. Went from 100 so called friends to none. My sin? I dated a person outside my faith community. She was labeled a whore and me a fornicator! By the way, we were both virgins. At the time it was devastating but I now see it as the best thing that ever happened to me.

so, what was the best thing that ever happened - you were both virgins on your date? LOL! joking aside, lots of religious groups forbid having romantic relationships outside of their community but it's always well and good to have profitable business links outside

not much to be considered worst, no physical assault of any kind . . . except for the thought that most of religious folks I've known and have met don't practice what they preach

Ha ha Athiest! I liked that one.

Every day. Because I live Ina religious family\community people are always undermining and trying to change my belief and calling it a phase.

Stay strong Selah613. I can relate to how hard it can be around believers. ????????

Cheers mate

A fundamentalist preacher who was street-preaching at my college last semester told me that when Judgement Day comes, he will personally dragging me screaming and throw me into the pits of Hell, laughing at me the whole time.

Granted, he also told me that he had 5 Ph.D.s, performed miracles, and had evidence that present-day whales existed in the Cambrian Period, so he might not be the most believable person in the world.

First experience with religious people was my worst. Southern Baptist family of kids comes walking down the sidewalk while I'm outside with my two sisters, we were all younger than 12. They were all dressed in their sunday's best. They walked right up to us and said, 'Do you believe in Jesus?' Not a one of us knew what they were talking about. Immediately they all started telling us how we would all burn in hell unless we believed. Their words just struck me as angry and hateful. It also sounded like they were trying to sell me something they couldn't actually give me. I went inside and told my parents and my dad got pretty mad and explained to us how wrong they were to say what they said. It made sense to me then and it still makes sense to me today. Keep your religion to yourself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.