Agnostic.com

148 5

What was your worst experience with religious people?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

148 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In UK never had one, however I was literally groomed by a couple who were ostensibly selling us a house. They invited us round for dinner, offered us gifts, offered to let our kids go round to play in the pool and 'get used to the house'. Then they offered us to join their church. Basically when we said no, they withdrew from the sale. I felt violated.

@heavenhug Seriously? You have a stolen pic.

@heavenhug I would love to know u too . The picture of u donating blood is soo beautiful and real . U are clearly a very nice person .

@Pralina1 hahaha

Wow. that's really creepy

@Moravian it was in Arizona

@Amisja That explains a lot. Can't see it happening in the UK

@Moravian I would be completely freaked if it happened here.

Having listen how my experience would be similar theirs if I drank the same kool-aid

I hate people saying they are going to pray for me! if I wanted that I would ask them to do the honours but its too presumptive.

Starting a sort of New Age group in early 90s with another and realising what you could get people to do, and even worse when i suggested it was all nonsense they wouldn't believe me and told me how wrong I was! Major wake up call!

I haven't had anything really terrible. When I was 25 I was engaged.The wedding was coming up and at the last minute he 'couldn't go through with it'. I was crushed, but stayed with him. A long time family friend who was very religious (and whose husband was chronically unfaithful -- he tried to seduce me at my sister's rehearsal dinner) invited me to dinner. When I asked if I could bring my ex-fiance with me she said 'no' she didn't allow cruel, immoral people in their home.I was floored but I'm glad I didn't say to her the things that came to mind. Needless to say I never went to their home again

When my Pastor, who I loved dearly wanted to massage my upper thigh region and suggested it would be ok if I got an erection. JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!!!

Aaah no!!! I am good, don't NEED a massage and I ain't even plannin on sportin a woody up in here. Left that church not long after that f*cked up experience.

This one time, I had to share a planet with them. Fuckin sucked.

Not my experience, but my great grandparents were 1st generation Irish Catholics. My grandma's brother died in a car crash when he was 18. Someone from the church came to tell my grieving great grandmother that her son had died because she was a bad Christian. I think that was when my grandma was done. I never heard the story about how my great grandma took it. Needless to say, my family never went to church.

Remi Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Mine will probably be when I come out as an bisexual atheist. Since, my family and friends are very religious, I 'm sure it will go over well.

Good luck with that. I'm sure everyone here will support you when you do it. Head high for your own Truth. No one else's business!

So I was in graduate school and pregnant for the first time. I only had two people in my studio class so we were pretty close. One was a born again Catholic. When I was 18 weeks pregnant, I got the results of a test back that were abnormal. By the time we could get another test run, we were at 20 weeks. And found out that the fetus was non-viable and would most like be detrimental for me to carry any longer. So I chose to have a "late-term" abortion, which in my case meant early induction of labor so that an autopsy could be performed. My own doctor would not do it, so I had to see a strange obstetrician. The nurses put me in an area tucked in a corner and basically left me alone with my husband and only came in to help with the delivery. When I went back to class, my born again Catholic studiomate had a lot of ugly things to say to me about the abnormality of the fetus and my decision. Not the best part of my life.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I will never understand why so many people feel free to judge other people's reproductive experiences. It's so not their business. And how can they say you had anything about the problems with your pregnancy when you know full well they'd give their god credit if things went well!!

I went to a private, Catholic school from 1st grade through 11th grade. By the age of 8 I was already a non believer. I kept to myself in order to self-protect. But once I was out of that school I was in trouble using drugs and hanging out with bad company. Playing R&R saved my life. I loved the music so much that it kept me going until the present. I even got to beat the H/S bully who reminds me of Donald Trump.

think I have said this one before I was about 15 years old, first saturday job, train up to town got the wrong train back and was stuck in a carriage that was bursting to the seams with a bible puncher telling me he was going to pray for my soul-doh! And I had to wait an hour for the train back to Lee Green.

The only ones that have bothered me are the influx of flat-earthers that are spreading misinformation across the internet like some kind of digital crusade. I spent a year correcting their memes and answering their questions only to find that almost all of them are just contrarians trying to make the bible more scientifically accurate by inventing their own science, and possessed a level of arrogance which deserves a medical term of its own. I've now left all the groups I was in and blocked 200+ of them who persistently invade the NASA page and YouTube, and am enjoying the peace and quiet.

Just knowing they exist and to what extremes their beliefs can produce is an on going bad experience. Thats about as optimistic as I can get.

This is something I posted about previously. A girl whom I loved dearly broke off with me because of her religion. It has been fifty years and I still miss her.

Can someone tell me exactly what the "Holy Spirit" is? Thanks.

Cannot tell the properties of something that does not exist. According to the bible nuts, God is made of three entities, God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. But they are one at the same time. It is just nonsense and mythology.

Stay strong ! You've pulled back the curtain of hypocrisy, and you KNOW, inside (that little voice), when something is wrong !

I was dating a Catholic. He was in the midst of a divorce and had 3 young daughters. One night the priest of the church his family attended (not him, he was a "fallen Catholic" ) came to our house. He wanted my boyfriend to sign papers having the marriage annulled so his ex could remarry in the church. We asked him exactly what that meant. The priest told us that he had to deny that the marriage had ever been consummated. My boyfriend looked at his daughters that were sitting in the same room and said, "so you are asking me to say I am not their father." The priest just stood there for a minute and said "I guess I am." He was immediately removed from our home.

I was dating a Catholic. He was in the midst of a divorce and had 3 young daughters. One night the priest of the church his family attended (not him, he was a "fallen Catholic" ) came to our house. He wanted my boyfriend to sign papers having the marriage annulled so his ex could remarry in the church. We asked him exactly what that meant. The priest told us that he had to deny that the marriage had ever been consummated. My boyfriend looked at his daughters that were sitting in the same room and said, "so you are asking me to say I am not their father." The priest just stood there for a minute and said "I guess I am." He was immediately removed from our home.

I've never had a bad experience with religious people. In my experience, they haven't been unkind just misguided. Generally, I just roll my eyes at them.

I was going/still am going through a bout of depression, I think. It's undecided. Anyhow, I was talking to one of my good friends from college about it and she suggests Jesus. I explain to her why that doesn't/won't work for me. We then start discussing the intricacies of my non-belief and she says, "I don't see how people who don't believe in God can believe in anything bigger than themselves. How can they ever do anything for anybody other than themselves". (Insert pretty much every other cliche).

Long story short, this person was my GOOD friend for 4.5 years, and she still had the balls to say that to me. As if over that time period I never once was anything but a hedonist. I just couldn't believe it.

I don't think I had any really bad ones. I do think I asked too many questions during my time in. I taxed the poor youth group ladies so with the questions that once I was pointed at sternly and told not to ask anymore questions. It's funny how much they try to teach when they can't seem to answer the questions themselves.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

Thankfully nothing truly terrible because of where I live. The worst is just your typical fruitless debates over matters of science and faith. I had the misfortune of getting into some awful and stupid debate about evolution and moral relativism with my former supervisor, the profound ignorance made me want to smack him with my shovel. He wasn't "religious" per say...."spiritual" I guess? Believed in god and the bible sorta, but doesn't practice the faith.

It was the typical bad talking points you'd hear from dumb people, but the aspect that just got on my nerves is the unwillingness to listen and let me inch in more than a single sentence. Dude was a walking dunning kruger about many things, but this was some of the worst.

My worst experience was being under my mothers religious control within the brethren church. a perfect setting to become another weirdo..................... which I didn't !!!

My brother became trapped into believing this nonsense which eventually drove him into committing suicide.

The time I got home from work one day and my fiancé was on the phone with his mom. I had just walked through the door and he was trying to put me on the phone with her from trying to be nice. All I was wanting to do was take off my shoes, put up my feet and relax. Anyway, when she realized she thought she was going to be talking to me, abruptly she was telling him that she had to go and was in a hurry to get off the phone cause she was convinced I was trying to talk to her, which I had no interest in doing so, anyway. Religious people are my enemy for the most part. Come to find out later, she was against me cause I didn’t give my life to the Lord and told my fiancé that she didn’t want to talk to me until I gave my life to the Lord.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.