Agnostic.com

16 0

Moon landing deniers

I work with 2 people, who most would say are quite normal. However, They are both very skeptical about humans ever landing on the moon. The only argument offered up is 'Why don't they go back back there' and 'surely they should be going back all the time'.

What would you say to them?

RobH86 7 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some people believe that Desert Storm (Gulf War 1) was all staged. Tell that to a veteran.

There's no accounting for what people believe.

The problem is there is no real obvious economic advantages to going back.

The realities of space travel are seldom accurately depicted in most science fiction. Space traveliers experience greatly diminished health from weightlessness and radiation exposure. Thsi alone makes it seem undesirable economically.

Few people realize that without the earth's molten rotating iron core, there would be mo magnetic field protecting the earth from radiation generated by the sun, and the earth would be a dead as Mars is today, having lost its molten core which generated its magnetic shield from solar generated radiation, causing it to lose most of its atmosphere and ability to sustain (at least readily recognizable) life forms.

We first went to the South Pole in 1911 for the same reason we went to the Moon in 1969. National prestige, in both cases existing technology was pushed to the limit at fabulous risk (people died in both endeavours) to acheive the goal. After it was acheived there was no reason to go back until technology was available to make it safe to do so. In the case of the South Pole, humans didn't return until 1957. 46 years after humans first set foot there. It's only been 49 years since we set foot on the Moon, and it's vastly further away and more dangerous to travel to than the South Pole. And it may well be a few more decades before we return. Nothing strange about the gap at all, when the technology exists for people to SAFELY return to the Moon we will no doubt do so.

I love the term Flattards for these people who believe the earth is a flat disc and that the Apollo moon landings didn't happen. They have submerged their brains in this drivel so deeply it's now well nigh impossible for them to admit they're so totally wrong. This is not just blatant ignorance. There is something more deeper going on here. It's called Religious fundamentalism. It goes like this. The Holy Bible is the inerrant true 'word of God' In this collection of ancient writings is an image of the world about us that has now been totally discredited by modern science. This they cannot deal with, so as modern science contradicts every thing that this Biblical world view tells us , it is science that is incorrect. It doesn't matter if it's Christian , Islamic or Judaic fundamentalism. it's totally 'brain dead' ignorant.

Those people annoy me and I'm glad Buzz Aldrin punched that moon landing denier that was harassing him.

The point I usually like to make is this: if the moon landings were staged then what was the motivation behind apollo 13? Why would we fake a compromised mission to the moon? Why would we deliberately show weakness in the face of the Russians?

Get a good telescope and look at the trash (as usual) we left behind.

Not worth the effort or time to be bothered by them. They are an insignificant number of nuts that if all planted in the same place wouldn't yield a whole tree.

There is scientific and visual evidence therefore it happened.

I would ask them why we should go back? It is very expensive so there needs to be some kind of financial incentive to do so, be it access to resources or as a practice run to go to Mars, which might happen.

Or... just ignore them because there's probably no point in having this conversation with them LOL

I would ask them why we should go back? It is very expensive so there needs to be some kind of financial incentive to do so, be it access to resources or as a practice run to go to Mars, which might happen.

Or... just ignore them because there's probably no point in having this conversation with them LOL

From what I've read, the Moon is rich in helium3, and other elements. Scientists have been studying the Moon to try to figure out how to mine it economically.

My first husband and my grandfather were moon deniers. I can understand my grandfather being one but not my first husband. As hubby put it, parts of Arizona looks a lot like the Moon. He also told me to watch Capricorn One and I would understand how easy it would be to fake the landing.

Except- Capricorn One was filmed in 1977, with 1977 technology. That movie technology didn't exist in 1969.

Next they will be saying atom splitting is a myth also.

This video also brings up an interesting point:

This seems like a fairly harmless delusion. I wouldn't even try to change their minds.

If you're paying...

Nothing. Maybe they're flat earthers... Google Moon has images of the tracks left behind by the Lunar Rover... maybe show them that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.