Agnostic.com

49 7

Thoughts on kids? Have them? Want them? No!

I'm wondering if non-believers are less inclined to want children. So, where do you fall on the child wanting spectrum?

• 62 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 10 votes
silvereyes 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a 3 year old daughter 🙂

I would consider adopting or fostering, but I don't really feel the need. I'm certain I don't want to reproduce, however.

I think in this day and age your just creating pain for your child having one. the human race needs cutting down.

An anti-natalist, I see. There are certainly valid points to be made there.

Yes thank you! I totally agree

@IntellectualRN i too am a anti natalist. My feeling is this, look at the state of the world and where the world is and this is what you're contributing too.

exactly and we cull animals when we spread into there lands.

I don't have any, but want at least one. @Admin, is there a way we can see the poll results by gender?

2 girls, 1 boy, all adults and in good health and stability. Great Job Mom!!!!

I have 2 kids, 1 official foster kid, about 5 unofficial ones and about another 17-18 kids I have at least partly raised. No more please.

I always wanted kids and always imagined I'd have two daughters. My wife, however, never wanted any; and the time has probably passed.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

I have a son. He makes me admit that while I like to think my brain has evolved enough to recognize my genes make me do things in service to them when I want to do things in service to all humanity and the world, I can't override them on this. I would do anything for this new vehicle in which half of them now ride. It pisses me off a little. He's one of over seven billion but I'd favor him over anyone, even someone who could cure cancer or end hunger or bring about world peace.

Girl 45 teacher, girl 43 restaurant manager , boy 40 mechanic. It's hard to believe they are this old and on their own.

Was thinking about this earlier today. In a way having kids is really one of the few ways that you can have a lasting impact on the world. I know I am not exactly ready for kids but someday want at least 2.

I was not ever going to have any, but husband changed his mind ten years later. THEN he died from cancer, leaving me to raise them. They are the very best part of my entire life. They have been fascinating people in a thousand different ways and hold a huge part of my heart.

Zster Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

One son..and unless I won the lotto or became wealthy I would never have another...maybe adopt foster kids though

I'm up for adoption.... just sayin'...

Kids are a mixed bag. they raise your standards but they can be frustrating. they are definitely expensive but I guess so was I .

15 year old daughter, 13 year old son. I love having kids, and we have great times. Being an important part of their lives, walking with them as they grow and mature, learning from and with them... I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Never had my own kids, but I've got a boat load of nieces and nephews. Some of them now have their own kids. Being an Aunt has been the best job I've ever had. I get to spend a significant amount of time in their lives. In many cases, I spend more time with them than their grandparents. The older kids tease me now about getting older, and I tell them I'm corrupting their children even worse than I did them.

My kids are grown thankfully. I raised the 4 alone and they are all away at uni. I am glad to be done and would NOT go back or date anyone with young kids. No grands yet and sooooooooooo glad the kids are not ready 😛 I am warming up to grands with babies of cousins and short sessions with a neighbor's grands. Grandmother training I guess...

I like the idea of having kids but I am in no way in a position to support them at this moment in my life. Also I look at how frightening the world is these days and wonder if bringing a child into this world would be fair on the child.

That being said, if I had a kid and it was a boy I would call him Seth. Still working on a name for a girl.

Hate them. I find the entire process of having a complete stranger slopping around in my guts for nine months then tearing out of one of the most sensitive areas of my body completely repulsive. I know that's not normal ,but it's just how I feel. I've watched Friends raise kids, that's all I needed to see. Kids just keep becoming bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger pains in the asses as they grow up. There are other ways of contributing to the world Beyond flesh and blood.

Lol this is harsh, but I’ve always seen pregnancy as somewhat a parasite living inside you.

@EmeraldJewel like an Alien waiting to burst out !

@evergreen Lol! Not too far from the truth when you think about it. Can't remember what female comedian said this ,but she said that it was like pushing a Thanksgiving turkey out your nostril. Lol!

@Kojaksmom that statement leaves quite a nasty visual ! ha

Royal pain at times. Disasters occasionally. High maintenance costs. Psychological stress. Pride. Shame. Tears. Laughter. Warmth. Occasional loss. Occasional gain. No regrets. Love them all. All four.

Always wanted kids but never had any.

skado Level 9 Jan 10, 2018

None currently, and no desire to ever have any.

Maybe I'd have had a different answer if I knew 30 years ago what I know now!

Gary Level 4 Jan 10, 2018

I had to go through tons of red tape to get mine. The kids mom is schizophrenic and refused to put me on the birth certificates because I would not accept her religion or believe in the modern demigod or the supreme deity. She would not tell the hospital or authorities .that I was the father. Resulted to my kids going to foster care for 3 months until I could rescue them. Got social services on my side when I told them that I wanted the kids. The attorney on both sides were on my side the all thought it was honorable that a man would take responsibility for the children. So here I am almost 7 years later with 2 great kids. Best thing I have ever done.

I have a daughter. Unfortunately, I became the main parent because her mother could care less about her. I have no natural instincts on being a parent (I wanted to establish a friendship instead of a disciplined parent) and lots of mistakes were made). The one positive thing was that I was able to instill a need for emotion control in her which she still has to this day.

Grown kids 22 and 34. I'm a free spirit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.