Agnostic.com

36 8

Pros and cons about having a tattoo/tattoos?

Really thinking about getting a red rose with thorns tattoo and has been wanting one for a while...but was feeling nervous about it.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't they are ugly on both men and women.

Marine Level 8 July 27, 2018

To be honest, I have zero desire to get a tattoo myself.

Having said that, I find tattoos on women to be insanely sexy.

I got my first tatoo after my husband passed as a memorial to him. I went with a friend that got her first as well. My second happened a month ago again when a friend went. Always nice to share the discomfort.? one on my ankle and one on my foot. Once you are there and find the right place you will be ok.

Rose2U Level 7 July 27, 2018

I have many and have no regrets. Each one is a memory of a time and place in my life when I got it. Find an artist that does custom work rather than just picking something out of a book.

GwenC Level 7 July 27, 2018

This is a good point. I mean, pop art tattoos have their place, but custom work is almost always a better choice.

I do have some that are straight off the wall/out of the book at the tattoo parlor and they're fine. But the ones I have that are custom are so much better. Finding a good artist is the key. I have a good one that I can walk in with a kernel of an idea and trust will turn it into something I will love.

Tattoos are intensely personal. Everyone gets them for different reasons. Get what you want.

Just remember it's a permanent choice...and that good tattoos are never cheap, and cheap tattoos are never good. Find yourself a good established artist, check out their portfolio, and make sure they work at a licensed and inspected studio.

Nervous in what aspect? The actual process of getting a tattoo can be nerve wracking, the first time. But it's a temporary pain. The artist doing the work should be on the same page as far as your vision of what it should look like. And finally, don't even consider what others may "think". It's your body, your decision.

I have a small flower on my forearm for the world to see and a full back tattoo for just me...and they are both very personal. So anyone who judges or makes a snap decision about you because of your choice...run away from them... immediately.

I have one. Got it 20 years ago.
Don't regret it at all, but haven't felt the
need to get another.

Pro: Having amazing art applied to your skin as canvas, having an expression of something that have special meaning to you always with you

Con: as have been mentioned, tattoo healing and aftercare can be a pain, especially the itching; allergies, if you are allergic to metals you may want to rethink certain colours (I’m allergic to black, blue, and green)

I’m not sure if the fact that tattoos are addictive is a pro or a con. I have 12 tattoos and I won’t stop until I’m pretty much all covered except for my face.

Tatoos are no more or less addictive than anything else. It's not a "fact" that they are addictive.
If a person is prone to addiction then it won't matter what form the addiction takes.

@KKGator It may not be a scientifically proven fact but many who have tattoos have said it is addictive to them. It’s not necessarily the same kind of addiction as an addiction to nicotine or alcohol in terms of mechanism. It could be like an addiction to books and reading where you would keep buying books even if you already have stacks of unread ones. As someone says, tattoo pain can be addictive. I feel that way as well. Sometimes I crave it and need it like I need a drug.

@graceylou Thank you for proving my point.

@KKGator There was no real point to make. You are reading too much into what I said. Obviously I wasn’t stating that it’s a medically serious addiction since I said that I couldn’t really choose whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing. Like potato chips or cats, you may not be able to stop at one or a few. Ask people with tattoos and most would say they want more and more. I really don’t care to argue the semantics of my use of the words “fact” and “addiction”. The addiction is a “fact” for me and many others with tattoos. I am not prone to addictions to drugs or alcohol or sex or whatever else. A friend of mine has an addiction to collecting cross stitch patterns that she can’t control but she’s not a drug addict. Addiction can simply be an utter love for something that you always have to have more. In terms of tattoos there could be a chemical component involved. I’m not proving your point. I’m proving my point in the first place if I were pricing a point.

I love my tats. Tattoos can incredible pieces of art or they can be awful. This is totally one of those times you get what you pay for. An excellent tattoo artist will charge excellent tattoo prices.

Someone will have to explain the pros to me.

Gareth Level 7 July 27, 2018

Tattoos are a very personal decision. As I work in the medical profession, it is generally frowned upon... and that’s ok, as I’m not a tattoo fan anyway.

Do whatever makes you happy, keep in mind your profession for placement.

I say if you like what you have its cool, i wouldn't recommend ones that are difficult to hide

I have several. Each one has a special meaning to me, and I love all of them, even the very old, faded ones. I will offer a word of advice. If you have one that you want, wait 1 year to see if you still love it. Sometimes fads come and go, and you are glad you didn't get it. Sometimes, it just still seems perfect for what it means to you, so you will still want it.

Im not a fan of women's tattoos in general but I really don't like chest tattoos on women.

I love tattoo's and would love to get one or two or three. My dilemma is that I really don't know what design I would choose. I am going to keep looking though. 😀 I like the sound of yours.

I have 6 and I regret only one of them. Which is okay, I will have it covered up soon enough. I recommend getting the drawing/picture of exactly what you want and sitting it out at home and/or work where you can see it a multiple times a day for a couple weeks before deciding on it.

I am a late bloomer to tats, but dove in with both feet, er, arms. My tats are meaningful to me and I love them. I have no regrets.

@Quazi
Hahahahahaha! Great movie! "You do you Scotty P."

I have one and I love it - when I was going throuugh a seriously mentally unwell period I burned NO into my arm . it was actually a good cure and worked for a really long time, as it was white and my arms were usually sunburnt brown, so it stood out - then as I got older I got load s of liver spots and it was all gettting obliterated so I had it made into a tattoo. I love it I have a NO to anybody now I only have to glance to the left and my NO is there for me

Pros: They are cool as hell. They are pieces of meaningful art for myself. I have ones as reminders for myself. I’m my own art book. They are unique. I feel more confident with them.

Cons: It costs a lot. People sometimes stare unpleasantly. Upkeep sucks. No swimming or sun on it when its first done. Family/friends may disapprove.

Get one, you live once and they all come with memories about a time in your life

I love ink on women as long as it is done well both technically and artistically. Definitely not something to cheap out on. I'd also suggest a small one with subtle placement first. Then you can see if you like it being done and after. Good luck!

I have one and wish I did not.

Marine Level 8 July 28, 2018

Cons.

1. Over time it won't look as sharp as it did when you first got it.
  2. If you change your mindset, and old tattoo may become an embarrassment.
  3. It is just as, if not more, painful to get it removed as it is to get it.
  4. Dirty needles can cause hepatitis, herpes, and/or other diseases.
  5. Not everyone who does tattoos are actually good artists.
  6. Tattoo ink leaves you vulnerable to problems that have to do with excessive sun exposure.
  7. Fads and tastes change. Tattoos may not be "cool" in 10 years.

pros: self expression piece, cool in certain circles, curiosity piece in other. can mask some skin features you dislike in an artistic way.

cons: sun care is critical. Some designs don't age well (may become tacky). Expensive to get, expensive to get rid of. healing can be an issue., there are always risk at breaking skin (minimal if you don't infect easily). intricately small features & design fade or wash out with time.

Lukian Level 8 July 27, 2018

Mine took forever to heal and I have to wear long sleeves to work everyday.

No real benefit but I like it and plan on finishing now that it's healed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:140697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.