Agnostic.com

39 6

Does anyone recycle?

I've been recycling for 1-2 months now. My local recycling center takes plastics #1 and #2, cardboard, paper, and tin/aluminum cans, but it doesn't take glass. Well today I found a center in a town I work in that does, so I'm happy I don't have to throw all my glass bottles/containers in the trash.

Now I need to find out what to do with plastics #4, #5, and cereal bags.

Does anyone else recycle? Are there recyclables that your center doesn't take? What do you do with those? Any funny stories about recycling?

joeymf86 8 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I recycle paper by burning it. I recycle organics by composting.

I cycle.

I don't think burning paper is recycling unless you are using the ashes for something. 😛

@joeymf86 I’d long thought heating my home by burning paper material in my wood stove was recycling.. I’d often toss the ashes on my garden or around fruit trees. Open burning in ‘trash barrels’ bothers me, though..

@Varn Oh, ok. Burning paper in trash barrels or out in the open was what I thought you meant when I read your initial comment.

@joeymf86 IMO paper is just a part of nature, no worse than fallen leaves. There would be no crime against nature in just throwing it on the ground to rot. The paper would blow all around and be unsightly though, so I elect to burn it in a barrel and dump the ashes on the ground. Nature takes over from there. IMO glass and metal came from the earth, and there is nothing wrong with burying them in a landfill. What bothers me is when people put organic material such as grass clippings in the garbage. Organic material buried is likely to contaminate the ground water with bacteria.

I’m not sure about plastic. Ideally there should be facilities for recycling plastic, but many places lack those facilities, and it gets buried.

@WilliamFleming Some paper (wrapping paper, newspaper inserts, and magazines) have toxic chemicals in their ink, so it's not exactly like burning leaves.

Parts of glass and metal cans/containers came from the earth. There are other chemicals in them too. Decomposition time: it takes glass 1 millions years, aluminum takes 200-500 years, tin/steel takes 50 years. IMO it's best not to bury your problems. They could come back to haunt you.

I recyle aluminum cans and other metals.

Luckily we have municipal recycling. Just curb it and they do the rest.

Life-long recycler, here. Welcome to the your next step in sustainable living! Finding centers that take everything is hard. So good for you for searching out the place that will take your glass! 4s and 5s are hard to recycle as there isn't much market force for them and they are some of the least pure plastics. Also, cereal bags are totally fine to be recycled with paper board! They are just waxed paper essentially. That little fact was straight from the mouth of a recycling plant manager! All my best!

Life-long recycler, here. Welcome to the your next step in sustainable living! Finding centers that take everything is hard. So good for you for searching out the place that will take your glass! 4s and 5s are hard to recycle as there isn't much market force for them and they are some of the least pure plastics. Also, cereal bags are totally fine to be recycled with paper board! They are just waxed paper essentially. That little fact was straight from the mouth of a recycling plant manager! All my best!

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Not really no

R3204 Level 1 Jan 14, 2019

I recycle every chance I get have all my life. Most places were I am at now only take bottles CRV, canes and plastic also CRV

My city provides cans for metal, glass. Plastic, cardboard, and paper. No food or yard waste, but we use the recycle more than the trash!

As a family we do recycle. My husband is really keen on it, so we follow. I have to admit, though, when I am lazy, I have been know to toss a few recyclables in the trash.

I sell my aluminum, and dump the plastics in a bin for the garbage men.

My sister recycles religiously. That is, she recycles stuff that has to be a huge loss for the recycling center so that she can feel good about saving the planet.

I did when I lived in New York (bottle and can deposits) but where I am now, the only “recycling center” close by is some guy on the next road who buys peoples aluminum cans. I don’t really use anything in a can so ??‍♀️

[tenor.com]

Single sort here so it's easy. Still some of it still ends up in the trash.

I dig stuff (mainly metal) out of recycle bins to give those objects a new life as they are.

Lovers? All the time... Don't we all?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:141237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.