Agnostic.com

22 2

Do you still find yourself praying from time to time? In what circumstances?

I was just on a walk, and I was welling up with gratitude for the simple pleasures- the sound of water dripping, birds chirping, the slush and crunch of snow, the ability move, etc, and a "Thank you, God" slipped my lips. It made me chuckle. What are circumstances that you still, out of habit, attribute to or call out to "God", then catch yourself?

Susie 4 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I never pray. Ever.

I do talk to my cat, but he's not imaginary.

I might say OMG, Jesus Christ and Holy Shit.

I still do similar things out of habit. It's ingrained in me. I find myself doing it less and less as I slowly re-wire my brain (I've only been atheist for 11 months), but I imagine I'll catch myself doing it for years to come.

Not a joke, the other day I was thinking about what kind of new activities and causes I want to get involved with, and I thought, "Maybe God wants me to help other people become atheists." lol.

Atheists are the true angels of the Lord.

@Susie Well said and worth repeating: "Then, I have to rationalize that I DO have an agenda - to be present, to enjoy my life, to listen and understand, to connect, to have empathy, and bring a little joy to others, if they're able and willing to receive it."

No, never.

I feel abundant gratitude when I see how fortunate I am, with all the relative beauty around me. But the gratitude is not TO someone, but more the fact that I am aware enough to appreciate what I have. Whether that is my life, my health, or my surroundings and cohabitants in nature.

In bad times, I have pep talks with myself, urging me to be strong. I feel that, barring outside uncontrollable events, I am fully in control of me, and my reactions.

Just a few weeks after becoming an atheist, my wife was heading out of town for work. I instinctively went to pray to ask God to protect her. Nearly as soon as the thought entered my mind, I recognized how silly it was and just laughed at myself.

I think it depends on the extent of the brainwashing that the person has undergone, particularly as a child. Some of the ritual becomes ingrained; that's the purpose of it actually, to inject the chosen set of memes into one very firmly by means of ritual. One of those rituals is praying for this and praying for that. If a person was hit hard and early by the extremely churchified, who themselves had been conceptually damaged by a cult previously, it is much harder to make the memes running in one's head stop. It takes a lot of time for some people.

When I see the pain and suffering around me...i envision rising above to the heavens and tearing down the very walls of the divine.

Only when a friend or loved one asks for prayers. Otherwise no, got out of the habit long ago.

Can't say i have that problem. The occassional pissed off "jesus christ" on occassion.

Whenever I catch myself wishing there were some power greater than myself to which I could appeal for meaning or help or whatever, I just take a step back and remind myself that I'm in charge of me--no one else.

For a second it feels crazy-making, but then it feels empowering and I remember how glad I am to be the boss.

If I'm having a moment of emotional extremity I can focus with a mental mantra or affirmation or something. Pretty much the same thing in my mind, anyway.

Nope.

Nope. I would feel silly 🙂

No, never. I will, however, use expletives containing some names of those who don't exist.

Just when I drop the sugar bowl on the floor and I say, GD! (I still don't like to say it out loud - lol
or when I say "Bless your little pea pickin heart."

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 12, 2018

No. Unless you count the number of times I say "Oh, Jesus H Christ" or "OMG". But trust me, those are not meant as prayers.

I'll slip and say the sneeze blessing but I don't really mean it. 🙂

I never found myself praying, but I do find myself exploring thoughts, wishing deeply, hoping things continues to work out Exedra. So I guess that could be considered praying.

When my thoughts do slow down & I reflect on my life, with my wife and daughter. I get pretty emotional, because for the here & now I'm very happy with my life. ...not sure my comment is exactly on topic.

Nope. I am pretty settled on my version of the truth. But I do used the name of god in vain.

Never which is strange. I study religion every day, particularly early Jesus traditions. I just don't believe and have no desire to make supplications to a God I don't believe exist. I can not believe in the unbelievable, even if I wanted to, so I don't have any inclinations to pray.

Nope, never.

I don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.