Agnostic.com

44 10

Smokers?

Any smokers out there? I have found I am tired of this newest addiction. I started smoking for the first time only 9 years ago. It began with cloves and although I have also gone periods over that 9 years where I did not smoke for years, I seem to return back in times of stress like during break-ups, which is why I am currently smoking. Albeit, my breakup was well over a year ago and here I am, still smoking! A friend of mine borrowed my vehicle for the evening and I didn't realize my cigs were inside my car so now I am stranded too far from a store and without cigs. I swear, I would jump a midget for a cig about right now (chuckle) and what I hate most about this is that the Cigs Control the Ari and not the other way around. I loathe having something else in control of my emotions and my mental wherewithall. Ugh! My mind just keeps gravitating back to cigarettes. I feel like I need that service from the Stephen King movie "Cats Eye." The one with James Woods called "Quitters Inc." haha! I may end up with a missing pinky though! yikes!

Sadoi 7 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I smoke, and I like it. I ain't no quitter.
No matter what you do, you're still gonna die.
I know lots of people with lots worse habits.

yeah. its not like i was smoking meth! haha

Quit a couple decades ago (after about a hundred practice runs).

skado Level 9 Jan 10, 2018

I tried to quit for years. I could never make stick. It nearly killed me.

Then one day, I just lost the urge. I think mostly I was tired of the way it made me stink. I don't know, can't really explain it. Now, I can have a smoke once or twice a month at the bar or whatever and have no desire to pick it back up as a habit. It's weird.

That was five years ago or more. Shoot, it was at least ten.

Good Luck.

Yeah, but I knew I smelled just like that to my wife.

I've never smoked a day in my life.

No thanks. Couldn't date a smoker either.

I worked in disease research years back, and saw all too clearly the direct connection to smoking and a horror show of debilitating, and usually fatal diseases.

Smoker for almost 40 years. Quit 7 years ago when I saw my husband suffer and die from COPD. Cold turkey. Still have urges. Still have dreams that I started smoking again. I haven't but I always joke and say that if I am terminally ill from some nasty disease, I'm buying a pack and smoking like a chimney!

I quit in 95, but even if I ever got the urge again, I'm way to cheap to pay what they cost now....

I started irregularly smoking at nine, but I started smoking in earnest at 14. I quit cold turkey at 24. Of course, when I started smoking cigarettes cost $0.25 per pack. They had increased by 300% when I quit. I felt that I was being robbed by the tobacco companies,and with the probably negative effect to me health, I just quit in disgust. I’ve never gone back. Within two weeks of quitting smoking, my senses returned to their pre-smoking state, I was disgusted by the smell of cigarette smoke on my hands and clothes. Trust me,it’s not worth it.

OMG! My eldest son is 9! I cannot imagine that little guy smoking at this age!! YIKES!!

I started when i was in my 30's. lol! Good job, right?

I've never smoked, never tried any illicit drugs, and I don't drink. I was hooked on Mountain Dew and was bitch to get off that. I had to learn what was in it to finally stop. Now it's just water.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

I have never smoked cigarettes in my life ,but am not against it like some people that are over fanatical about it .I really do not care if someone smokes in my presenceme .I have dated females that smoked and most of the time it was ok ,except in one instance in which she was a chain smoker and it became to much of problem for me . I do smoke marijuana on occasion

You can do it and you know you need to quit smoking. you will be soooo proud of yourself. you would also be preparing yourself to invite a different kind of guy into your life that the kind you have in the past. get one pack of nicorette gum and quit!!

Watch someone you love die a slow, painful death from lung cancer.... and imagine that someone else you love may have to watch YOU go through that someday. <3

Cigarettes-never smoked. Weed-still enjoy

@IndySent yeah thats ALSO The way interviewers can nail a pothead too! I always tell my fellow pothead friends, "If you are EVER ASKED 'do you smoke?' at a job interview or by an employer, NEVER SAY 'cigarettes?' because then you're fuuuucked!" hahahah

I quit over 20 years ago and it was hard to do. Tried and failed over and over. Finally I just started limiting the times and places I allowed myself to smoke. I got down to 1 cigarette a day for over a year and I was finally able to quit. Even after I quit, I kept a pack in a drawer for a couple of years - I eventually threw that out. A guy from Europe once told me that he viewed smoking as an ‘occasional’ treat only, not something to do all the time.

In the last several years, I've limited the times and places. I cut down a lot from doing just that.

I was a smoker for 25 years and tried everything to give up with no success. I eventually managed it with a e-cig - they're not perfect and you're still absorbing nicotine but you're not getting the tar and so many toxins, plus you can gradually wean yourself off the nicotine by switching to weaker liquids. Best of all, you still have the actual "act" of smoking, so feel the same satisfaction a cigarette gives you. Much cheaper, too - recommended! 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

I vape too! I quit cigarettes 8 years ago. And I'm still vaping lol but at least it's cheaper than cigarettes! And it tastes and smells much better

@FindMyLight I think I actually vape more than I smoked. But hey - no tar, far fewer nasty chemicals, cheaper, not stinky, no ashtrays around the place... got to be better in every way! 🙂

@Jnei Oh I KNOW I vape more than I smoked! This thing goes with me everywhere!

Can cost you a finger but will set you free. Never smoked in my whole life. My sister is a chain smoker. 'Sorry for your habit. Always said I was too lazy to carry a master around on my back.

I smoked for 38 years, then had a heart attack and quit cold turkey. The surprising thing was that I expected to have all kinds of physical withdrawal symptoms, but I didn't have any at all, not one. I discovered that, for me, it wasn't an addiction so much as a habit. For the first year, I would have vivid dreams, so real that for a long time I was never sure it WAS a dream, of smoking. But that was the only thing. It's been 10 years, and I have no urge to smoke cigarettes. Plus, I couldn't afford them anymore. 🙂

marga Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

Never smoked probably because my parents did not and stressed that I follow their example

It was the same for me. Not many smoked in my family, plus I am from California and No One smokes in Calif. It was made illegal to smoke in most public venues many decades ago. You couldnt even smoke on the sidewalks outside of buildings. It was hilarious because when I lived in Santa Monica I frequently hung out at a placed called The Third Street Promenade which is a cobblestone street with zero car traffic and outdoor courts, shops, cafes, etc. Whenever midwestern tourists were in town, they would ask many of us locals where they could smoke if not on the patios. This is where it got funny! The only place you could legally smoke was on Santa Monica Blvd 20 feet from the sidewalk, which would put you Right in the Middle of the Traffic lanes on a super busy street like Santa Monica Blvd right near the SM Pier! hahaha! The tourists would look at me shocked and offended as they responded with things like, "Are you fucking kidding me?! We CAN smoke but ONLY in the middle of heavy traffic?" And I would cringe, grin, shrug and would say, "uh... yeah... pretty much." haha When I took up smoking and whenever I go back home to visit, all my family and friends are fully disgusted with me. lol! I feel bad. hah

I can relate to that. My mother gave up smoking when I was five or six, and my father a year later. I never smoked.

Hey first post on here. Anyway.
So, for Christmas my dad got me a vape pen. And I have officially gone 34 hours without a cigarette. I hated that I couldn't breathe and also the lack of control over my own actions. I started smoking 14 years ago and I'm only 26. It's a journey all right but with a little will power and huge hits of nicotine I think ive got it 🙂 maybe consider trying that?

Oh wow! I just saw this!! Congrats on the first posting!!! Yeah i started for the first time in the mid 2000's then i quit for yeears, then a break up, smoking. then quit, had a couple of kids in next relationship, nooo smoking! Broke up 7 years later, smoooking! lol

I said to everyone, "oh its the break up! once im over it, i'll quit!" ... two and a half years later.... STILL SMOKING! hahah

I smoked for 10 years (in between my two kids). That was 12 years ago. I know what you mean about it consuming you. Just don’t give up, ok? I quit by using the patch for a full year and ripping the old one off and putting a new one on whenever I had a craving.

Lilie Level 6 Jan 10, 2018

I tried smoking a time or two, but couldn't handle how it made me feel, it bothers my allergies. I don't even like to be around smokers. Well, tobacco smoke anyway.

There is no way I would deliberately put any sort of smoke in my lungs. Any visitors to this house who smoke do so outside.

Rudyard Kipling - “You must choose between me and your cigar.” Breach of Promise
Something to make you smile. Mr Kipling had a good sense of humor.

the old cigar-box, get me a Cuba stout,
For things are running crossways, and Maggie and I are out.
We quarrelled about Havanas—we fought o’er a good cheroot,
I know she is exacting, and she says I am a brute.
Open the old cigar-box—let me consider a space;
In the soft blue veil of the vapour musing on Maggie’s face.
Maggie is pretty to look at—Maggie’s a loving lass,
But the prettiest cheeks must wrinkle, the truest of loves must pass.
There’s peace in a Laranaga, there’s calm in a Henry Clay;
But the best cigar in an hour is finished and thrown away—
Thrown away for another as perfect and ripe and brown—
But I could not throw away Maggie for fear o’ the talk o’ the town!
Maggie, my wife at fifty—grey and dour and old—
With never another Maggie to purchase for love or gold!
And the light of Days that have Been the dark of the Days that Are,
And Love’s torch stinking and stale, like the butt of a dead cigar—
The butt of a dead cigar you are bound to keep in your pocket—
With never a new one to light tho’ it’s charred and black to the socket!
Open the old cigar-box—let me consider a while.
Here is a mild Manilla—there is a wifely smile.
Which is the better portion—bondage bought with a ring,
Or a harem of dusky beauties fifty tied in a string?
Counsellors cunning and silent—comforters true and tried,
And never a one of the fifty to sneer at a rival bride?
Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close,
This will the fifty give me, asking nought in return,
With only a Suttee’s passion—to do their duty and burn.
This will the fifty give me. When they are spent and dead,
Five times other fifties shall be my servants instead.
The furrows of far-off Java, the isles of the Spanish Main,
When they hear my harem is empty will send me my brides again.
I will take no heed to their raiment, nor food for their mouths withal,
So long as the gulls are nesting, so long as the showers fall.
I will scent ’em with best vanilla, with tea will I temper their hides,
And the Moor and the Mormon shall envy who read of the tale of my brides.
For Maggie has written a letter to give me my choice between
The wee little whimpering Love and the great god Nick o’ Teen.
And I have been servant of Love for barely a twelvemonth clear,
But I have been Priest of Cabanas a matter of seven year;
And the gloom of my bachelor days is flecked with the cheery light
Of stumps that I burned to Friendship and Pleasure and Work and Fight.
And I turn my eyes to the future that Maggie and I must prove,
But the only light on the marshes is the Will-o’-the-Wisp of Love.
Will it see me safe through my journey or leave me bogged in the mire?
]Since a puff of tobacco can cloud it, shall I follow the fitful fire?
Open the old cigar-box—let me consider anew—
Old friends, and who is Maggie that I should abandon you?
A million surplus Maggies are willing to bear the yoke;
And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke.
Light me another Cuba—I hold to my first-sworn vows.
f Maggie will have no rival, I’ll have no Maggie for Spouse!

I quit cigarettes 1980 saving my lungs for weed . At least you get a buzz from weed .

True! I do both. Usually at the same time in rotation. lol

I just felt the urge to commiserate that cloves were also my "gateway" cigarette 😟 Always loved the scent of them at the clubs when ppl would have them. Then got hooked. Thankfully they made me sick when i got pregnant but afterward post partum stress had me falling off the wagon.
I've quit a couple of times and had periods where I was super cut down, chantix helps a lot, but I had a horrible relapse last year and haven't tried since. The closest I can come to cutting down of late is sleeping a lot.

Makes me VERY angry at myself as I never smoked. Late in life habit this. Dumbest thing I ever did.

I prefer a pinch of tobacco, and believe me it is addicting. If I quit for two years, I would never touch it again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.