Agnostic.com

55 5

If you have depression, did atheism contribute to it?

It did for me. Mainly on the subject of death. Like, when my grandmother died, and my old dog had to be put down, and even going to funerals to be moral support for friends or family, it’s hard for me to live with “I/they literally will never see them again” I don’t think I’ve ever fully coped with it, but I’d be more upset with myself believing in an afterlife as an easy way out.

DaisyLove94 4 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No I'm pretty sure it a near death illness, divorce, losing a band and a small business all within a couple of months. But l could be wrong.

@sweetcharlotte l hadn't really thought about it in awhile, but when you put it all in one sentence it sounds pretty bad.Thanks to the makers of an anti-depressant called Zoloft l made it. Thank you for your kind words. ☺

Religion caused depression for me. It went away when I stopped believing.

Mermaid911, I can relate to you. The Mormon religion really intensified my depression after another member in my ward killed my daughter. The church said the killer was not to blame, even though she was convicted of reckless driving, because it was all "part of god's plan."

No. I'm pre-disposed to it. It's my coping mechanism. Also I'm highly sensitive and grew up in a family where emotions were suspect, so I learned to squelch everything.

Yeah, me too. Funnily enough I'm quite an emotional bunny these days, but in childhood it wasn't a thing that was tolerated. The result was a super laid-back teenager with a flashpoint temper.

I think being atheist, it was more comfortable for me to reach out for help with my depression, versus blind faith.

I wonder about that! As we atheists have more logical minds, we may be able to see various mental illnesses as more similar to physical illnesses, with biochemical causes rather than moral failing or lack of willpower or character. What do you think?

Wow, sorry it affected you that way. I got depressed later I think, but not worrying about going to hell has probably made me slightly less depressed, if anything. I take it you didn't worry about that outcome? What religion were you raised in?

Carin Level 8 Aug 1, 2018

I was raised catholic but I’m convinced it was for show because we weren’t a “mass on every Sunday” family. I was baptized and got put through communion and confirmation but no one really cared so it was just a label. I never feared an afterlife even though people said there was one. I just went about my day not worrying about anything. That was growing up, as an adult I worry about everything lol just not religion

Though I don't have depression, I do think being an atheist does make coping with death harder. For me anyway. That's about the only time I "wish" I believed. I believe that belief in "seeing them again" makes it easier for many.

That’s pretty much how I feel.

Yes, it did. I had to come to terms with things I believed and looked forward to. Seeing loved ones again, an afterlife, heaven and "God."

No, that doesn't bother me.

Somewhat. But I'm also introverted, so I don't make that many friends or connections anyway. Being an atheist hasn't help with getting dates, so some of my depression and loneliness are contributed to atheism.

I do and it didn't. In fact, atheism helped to relieve my depression a bit.

No, I can't say that it affects it.

I first experienced depression in my 20s. Single, in the Army, not a good fit, not at all doing anything career wise that I was interested in.I wouldn't have said I was a xian then, I was pretty flighty back then. I experienced depression off an on for several years in my 30s and 40s, while I was trying to be a good Xian. And I have had anxiety and depression off an on through my 50s while being openly atheist. So, no connection for me between religion or lack thereof and depression.

NO!

You're ridiculous lmao. Way to shoehorn religious memes like "atheists are more depressed" or "if you don't believe in an afterlife, then death is more miserable".

I'm not an atheist, but if you don't agree with atheism then I'm sorry but creationism is just not as logical of a belief system as atheism is. Atheists cannot prove that there isn't a God(s) but at least they rely on science and a good degree of reasoning.

I hope you're dealing with things better now. Depression is rough.

I have dealt with depression. Atheism has nothing to do with it.

Nope.
Not even a little bit.

There are moments when I am severely saddened when I learn of a person I had known is no longer available for conversation. Been a bunch of such moments during the past 10 years.

JacarC Level 8 July 28, 2018

I'm only depressed that I live in a world filled with people who don't want to grow up. They vote accordingly and it counts the same as people who view the world for how it is. Therefore, the world will never grow up.

mt49er Level 7 July 28, 2018

I doubt it, as I've always been an atheist so I wouldn't know any different. What I did find maintained depression for me, for all of my adult life, was alcohol and junk food. As soon as I finally knocked both on the head, my mental buoyancy came right up and has stayed there ever since. That's not entirely the reason I was depressed, but it's helped stabilise my mood enough to take control over the other aspects of my life that bring me low.

I think what depression I have experienced in my life have led to further enlighten me to reality.

godef Level 7 July 29, 2018

No. If anything, I'd say my depression contributed to my atheism. I was born more emotionally detached, which is a form of depression, so I never felt what others felt when it came to church and gods. All mental states or conditions have their pros and cons, but if my atheism was a major factor with my depression, I'd gladly take it. One human's curse is another human's gift.

No. I see the world for what it is: a space in time complete with wonderful experiences and sometimes extreme hardship. I suffer from depression, but most of that is caused by situations outside of my control - if humans weren't so stupid, I would be fine. Sometimes I wish that I could believe in bullshit, but I can't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.