Agnostic.com

10 2

A de-baptism ceremony? In another forum I frequent, a guy talked about a ceremony his atheist wife did with him once he became an atheist:

First, he got wet, then they dried him off and she asked “Do you reject all belief in any deity or deities?” to which he replied, “Yes, I surely do.” Then she declared, “I do hereby de-baptize thee in the name of Reason, Secularism, and The Scientific Method."

What are your thoughts on something like this? Is this just silly, or is this something that could be helpful for some people? Did you do any kind of "ceremony" after you became agnostic/atheist?

Edit: Just found that that Freedom From Religion foundation offers "de-baptismal" certificates. [ffrf.org]

BackToReality 6 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It might make for an interesting skit on a sketch comedy show. I think it is a bit sily.

It sound fun, but I don't think it would carry any real psychological benefit to me. About as much as joining the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Just for shits and giggles =)

Well that's one of the most amusing things I've heard all day. Rather silly and unnecessary little ritual, but if it's in good ironic fun then whatever. I just find it easier to simply cast aside all the religious baggage like last weeks trash and move on with my life.

I was pulled along and made to participate in all that communion and confirmation nonsense when I was young. Thankfully my general apathy towards religion made it hassle free to just discredit all those old ceremonies as not of my own free will so it didn't count.

If the humour and satire were over the top, then I'd be in...

Seems silly to me personally, but I can see how it would be just the ticket for someone else.

Sometimes the shape of the culture around you influences the shape of your psyche in certain ways whether you want it to or think it should or not.

I generally avoid all rituals and ceremonies. I have never, ever felt fully comfortable performing any of them. Now that I'm not trying to "believe" anything it bothers me less, but I still don't feel like I'm being true to myself when I participate.

I don't mind them. I mind being expected to participate.

it kind of misses the point really because there isn't anything to stop being. it's just a stupid belief so what would happen without the ceremony?

They do them at the American Atheist conventions (or at least they used to). It’s so funny because I was 30 years old when I got baptized (my parents believed it was something you should do after you reached the age of Reason. Six months later I read the God Delusion and became an atheist. I did the ceremony mostly as a joke but it really helps shake the last vestiges of “faith” you might still have so I’m glad I did it.

Lilie Level 6 Jan 10, 2018

Superstitious ritual to disavow superstitious rituals. Cool!

skado Level 9 Jan 10, 2018

As an atheist I refuse ceremonies based on religion. Be careful not ending looking too similar to your enemy.

Agreed! Like the proliferation of atheist "churches". Wtf? This kind of bs gives fuel to the believers claiming atheism is a "religion". Why do people even give them ammunition?

@DeeTee Can't remember where I read it, but there are some atheists who are starting 'churches'. They say they're doing it for "community". I was pretty unimpressed by it. I suggest a google search. I'm sure there's a ton of info on the web.

Personally, I think stuff like that is kind of silly. Although, the absurdity of it may actually be the point.

I totally concur!

Ya, but some people take mock religions seriously! They were created to harpoon the establishment, but some don't get that, especially if the satire is subtle.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14241
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.