Agnostic.com

56 4

For those who have no children, would you date a partner with a child?

If you didn't have a child, would you be willing to accept a partner who does have children? Would you consider those children your own if the relationship was serious? How involved in raising them would you be?

TwistyOwl 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have. I certainly would again.

Ozman Level 7 July 29, 2018

Hell, we've been broken up for over a decade now, and barely talk at this point (we remained friends for years). I am still her kids' favourite uncle, and helped raise them when she couldn't.

I don't think its a problem if both partners are happy with that.

moz Level 3 July 29, 2018

I most certainly would and would definitely want to be involved in raising them. I have never had a desire to have kids of my own, but children seem to love me, and I enjoy having fun with them.

children are a huge responsibility and a bigger burden. The fun part is only when they belong to some other person who will take them away at end of the day.

I have dated single mothers, you just have to factor in the importance of the children obviously.

If a potential partner has kids I do tend to try & not get involved with the them until I'm fairly sure the relationship is going to last.
Breakups can be difficult if you've been involved for a while

Have done has it good and bad points . Now I'm a single dad not sure what I'm gonna do opportunity hasn't arisen yet so not sure what will happen

Simon1 Level 7 July 29, 2018

I can recall examples from people I know where it worked and where the consequences were grave. Like all aspects of life, life is a gamble full of dangers and ultimately it is a deadly disease.

I have and would again. The only worry for me is attachment to the kids and the relationship ending very badly.

I've dated single mothers in the past but find myself no longer wanting to. In all of the relationships the relationship never came first always the child, as it should be! The issue with this though is that I never felt like we were creating a special bond between us. I always felt expendable as if a decision came between me and a better life for the child they would always choose the child. Again, as it should be. A few times that decision was to dump me to be with the child's father again. It always felt like I was just there so the mother wouldn't be lonely. When things ended it always really hurt because you get attached to the kids and you feel terrible because they have no idea what is going on and why you aren't around anymore. Basically, it came down to "you're not the father" and I hated that.

You've touched on the reality that, selfishly speaking, there's no buzz-kill like children. If anyone wants romance, it probably should not involve minor children. All one's life-force goes into nurturing them, worrying about them, keeping them from harming themselves, etc.

In practical terms though, the typical scenario for people of a certain age involves not just children but some messy blended family scenario. For me it was, most recently:

1. Me, with two adult children
  2. Her, with two high school-age teens
  3. Her ex and the dipshit he remarried, and the resultant custody and child support ass-kicking contests and lack of discipline coordination between households, etc.
  4. One of my kids and one of hers having trouble launching due to mental health issues
  5. Did I mention: teens?
  6. Why were we together again???

I am not interested in dating someone with children because I don't want to have or raise kids.

I would and did. I loved them and raised them as my own. And even though their father and I are no longer together, they still love me and call me Mom. And they've given me 2 grandkids!

Deinan Level 4 July 29, 2018

Hmmm. I did. We dated as a monagamous couple but kept separate residences until her 2 were off to college. Then we moved in together. Still together after 22 years. We're married now. I consider her kids my stepchildren and we get along fine. Last year I became a grandfather.

Unusual. First, a human being is not a monogamous animal. Not only there is a huge difference between male and female, the first is commanded by evolution to spread seeds; the second has just several hundred and she is looking for the biggest brute with the biggest club to bring home the bacon. Secondly, evolution keeps couple naturally together for about a dozen years after the youngest child is born; time needed to raise the brood to self-sufficiency. Most divorces are occurring in the 12 to 20-year mark. People that stay together longer, for life sometimes, mastered the craft of successful working on the business of staying together. It takes work to constantly appreciate my partner, to derive happiness from my partner's behavior, bad or good alike. Every city in the civilized world has one swingers club for perhaps 100,000 people. I study and admire those people. It seems they found a way of leading a happy life, firmly grounded, usually more educated and affluent. Yes, they break up as others do, but usually without the associated trauma.

I have two stories about children in a broken home.

My mother married five times, twice before I was born. Her third husband, Bill, my first stepfather, abused me. When I was three he punched me in the stomach...my grandma told me the story. It wasn't all, but you get the gist.

My father and his father were alcoholic. I didn't want to pass that on, so I got a vasectomy and married a woman with two children. We are still married 35 years later; it is the only family I have. I didn't abuse the children, as far as I know. Sometimes we do things without knowing how others are affected; being possible autism spectrum, I'm concerned about being insensitive. I must work at being sensitive; whereas, many people do it automatically.

I certainly don't regret dating a woman with children. However, I regret my mother dated with me hanging on. If you like kids, go for it. If you don't feel like playing with children, and might loose your cool...do not date someone with children!

EdEarl Level 8 July 29, 2018

Sorry I've already been there done that don't want to raise anybody else's kid

I am curious to read the answers to this too. I am divorced with 3 kids and have had no luck finding anyone to date. On the other hand, my ex moved a guy with no kids into her house a year after we got divorced. I wonder if it matters whether the single parent with kids is a man or a woman.

I have in the past.

While I'm not interested in starting a family from scratch I have absolutely no issue with dating a single mother. I like kids and see no reason why I should arbitrarily cut myself off from someone I may really like just because children are in the picture.

I completely understand, and fully expect, that said children will come first, second, and even third, well before me and my needs.

I would most certainly consider them my own. If the relationship got passed the "mom's friend" stage and into something more serious I would happily claim them as my own. Provided they, and her, were comfortable with that claim.

I would be as involved in raising them as she would let me be, though if I start feeling like a second class parent whose views and opinions on parental decisions are disregarded, that will become a problem in the long run.

I understand that there will be a learning curve as I acclimate to the parental role and it's myriad responsibilities but at a certain point I need to be viewed as an equal partner in the endeavor and treated as such.

Of course this presumes a relationship with someone whos children still have a lot of growing to do. Someone with older children, or even grown children, will have a fairly firm family dynamic already established. While I would want to be come a part of that dynamic I would not be looking to upset it or radically displace something that is already working for them just for the sake of feeling like I have a seat at the parental decisions table.

That would depend on the some are great to be around some are a night mare but a mom with a well behaved no problem.

At this point in my life, any children any potential date might have, need to be completely grown, with jobs, and out on their own.

Totally its all or nothing

Absolutely not.
Never would, never did.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'm in my 50s. Been there. Done that. If a man similar in age has young kids I'd be like WTF? I would not want to negotiate time five ways: mine, his, his and mine, his with his kids, his baby momma's demands. Too old for that. Just not enough time anymore.

But only if the baby mama drama is mild. I will not date a guy who has a constant battle with his kids mom

One of the best moves i ever made was dating a woman with a child. Matt and I are closer after the divorce than he is with his mother. Children can give you the highest high and drive you to despair, Both teach a lot and make you a better person.They can also make for some real fun dates.

BillF Level 7 July 29, 2018

I think it would depend on a) how long he had been broken up from the mother and b) how old the kids are. If the kids are under 12 or the man has only been divorced under a year no thanks.

GwenC Level 7 July 29, 2018

Yes, she would be better able to put up with my childishness.

Hmm, good question with no good answer (for me, anyway). I don't want kids. I don't want to be "dad" to anyone. I'm not opposed to being a positive influence in more limited ways, in a more avuncular capacity, but I'd probably never move in or assume a parental role. But if the romantic relationship became serious enough, I don't know how those roles would remain clearly defined. I think my best bet is to date childless women or those whose children are fully grown.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.