Agnostic.com

56 4

For those who have no children, would you date a partner with a child?

If you didn't have a child, would you be willing to accept a partner who does have children? Would you consider those children your own if the relationship was serious? How involved in raising them would you be?

TwistyOwl 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've dated single mothers in the past but find myself no longer wanting to. In all of the relationships the relationship never came first always the child, as it should be! The issue with this though is that I never felt like we were creating a special bond between us. I always felt expendable as if a decision came between me and a better life for the child they would always choose the child. Again, as it should be. A few times that decision was to dump me to be with the child's father again. It always felt like I was just there so the mother wouldn't be lonely. When things ended it always really hurt because you get attached to the kids and you feel terrible because they have no idea what is going on and why you aren't around anymore. Basically, it came down to "you're not the father" and I hated that.

You've touched on the reality that, selfishly speaking, there's no buzz-kill like children. If anyone wants romance, it probably should not involve minor children. All one's life-force goes into nurturing them, worrying about them, keeping them from harming themselves, etc.

In practical terms though, the typical scenario for people of a certain age involves not just children but some messy blended family scenario. For me it was, most recently:

1. Me, with two adult children
  2. Her, with two high school-age teens
  3. Her ex and the dipshit he remarried, and the resultant custody and child support ass-kicking contests and lack of discipline coordination between households, etc.
  4. One of my kids and one of hers having trouble launching due to mental health issues
  5. Did I mention: teens?
  6. Why were we together again???

Absolutely. Most men grow up when they have kids. I would rather him have a child than be a child.

I met and married a woman with a child. I fell in love with him first. We were together for 19 years and had three girls. Unfortunately our son[I had adopted him] died in an avalanche a few years ago.

I have children, but I'm answering anyway. =P LOL!

While I prefer to date someone who either has no children, or none at home, I am not letting that in any way restrict who I make connections with here on this site. All of the ladies I have established a rapport with here either have children at home, or are empty nesters. If I wound up in a relationship and the woman had one or more young'uns at home, how close I got to them would depend largely on their situation. Is dad involved in their lives? If so, I would never presume to replace him. I would just become another adult in their lives, and if we all wound up living together I'm sure I would function as a co-parent, but the message would be clear that they have a dad and it ain't me. I would work to make that situation as positive for the kids as possible.

Now with that said, I love kids and I know that--unless they were complete monsters and every moment in their presence was misery (which would likely impact my relationship with mom)--I'd love them too and would behave as a nurturing and loving father to them.

Absolutely not.
Never would, never did.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Only if the kids were over 18. I can’t stand children for more than a few minutes.

Livia Level 6 Aug 17, 2018

Nope. Grown up kids, yes. Small kids, no. I want to be a man’s partner not a mum.

Livia Level 6 Aug 9, 2018

I enjoy children and being around them, so having a partner with children would not be a big deal to me. I've always wanted to be a mother some day, but have struggled with the ethics of bringing more children into our world (which is why I'm leaning towards adoption if I ever do decide to have a family), that said, if my partner already had children that would work out fairly ideally for me. I would easily accept their children as my own and would want to be as involved in their lives as any other mother would want to be.

Mea Level 7 July 29, 2018

I'm in my 50s. Been there. Done that. If a man similar in age has young kids I'd be like WTF? I would not want to negotiate time five ways: mine, his, his and mine, his with his kids, his baby momma's demands. Too old for that. Just not enough time anymore.

I did marry a single mom (second marriage) with an autistic and delayed development child.
We have been together for 20 years... SHe is my best everything, even though sometimes
drives me nuts 🙂

I do not think that it should matter - either you are in (all pluses and "minuses" ) or you are not...
If the one is the one, than he/she is the one... Everything else is an icing on a cake 🙂

Yes, and I did more than once. I now have a lovely stepdaughter in her 30s, who is a brilliant lawyer!

I have done so in the past. It's a difficult line to walk--if you get close to the children and it doesn't work out with the parent, that's another messy little heartbreak. On the other hand, you can't date a parent for very long without getting to know their kids.
I stayed in an abusive relationship for the sake of her child (and because I was not very good at relationships and boundaries yet), and the whole thing was very difficult for all involved. That does not mean it is not worth a try. (Well, except the abusive part. Don't try that.)

Hmm, good question with no good answer (for me, anyway). I don't want kids. I don't want to be "dad" to anyone. I'm not opposed to being a positive influence in more limited ways, in a more avuncular capacity, but I'd probably never move in or assume a parental role. But if the romantic relationship became serious enough, I don't know how those roles would remain clearly defined. I think my best bet is to date childless women or those whose children are fully grown.

I think it would depend on a) how long he had been broken up from the mother and b) how old the kids are. If the kids are under 12 or the man has only been divorced under a year no thanks.

GwenC Level 7 July 29, 2018

At this point in my life, any children any potential date might have, need to be completely grown, with jobs, and out on their own.

I am not interested in dating someone with children because I don't want to have or raise kids.

I have and would again. The only worry for me is attachment to the kids and the relationship ending very badly.

I might have considered it when I was MUCH younger, but not now.
Besides, anyone who could possibly be interested in me would have
grown children by now.
LOL

Once, in my thirties, I dated a man with young children. I knew quickly it wasn't for me. Adult children are a different story. I haven't given up hope to have grand-children via someone else's children.

Most likely I wouldn't date a person with children. I have no desire to be a father. I don't the patience and understanding a child would need. No, I wouldn't consider them my own if I ended up with a partner with children and do little with raising them.

The women I go out with frequently have adult children, so it really isn't an issue.

I have and would date someone with a child. I had no problem with being with her or helping her raise her daughter. However, I asked if it was alright if she didn’t call me dad. I was happy to play that role, but I didn’t want her to “replace” (if you will) her actual father with me. I wanted her real father to be a part of her life.

The two of them had personal issues, but he was still a good dad to their daughter. Actually, it turned out that she was the crazy one which is why our relationship didn’t work.

Leo716 Level 6 July 30, 2018

At my age any woman going out with me is not likely to have children living at home. I can tell you from experience, grown children can be a much larger pain in the ass than the younger ones.

Personally, I would. I cannot speak for anyone else, but if I dated someone and enjoyed their company, I wouldn't have a problem with a child. And I wouldn't fret over what is until the what if became a this is.
Over the years, ive dated women with children and have shouldered the responsib8lity of being a good and decent role model for her child or children.

I love children and I could accept a partner with children and I think they could be like mine.
In the past I had a parter with a girl, I and she have loved each other.

I don’t have a problem with children. It’s unfortunate when the relationship ends because I’ve grown attached to not only the lady but the children also.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.