Agnostic.com

56 4

For those who have no children, would you date a partner with a child?

If you didn't have a child, would you be willing to accept a partner who does have children? Would you consider those children your own if the relationship was serious? How involved in raising them would you be?

TwistyOwl 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (51 - 56)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I'm not interested in starting a family from scratch I have absolutely no issue with dating a single mother. I like kids and see no reason why I should arbitrarily cut myself off from someone I may really like just because children are in the picture.

I completely understand, and fully expect, that said children will come first, second, and even third, well before me and my needs.

I would most certainly consider them my own. If the relationship got passed the "mom's friend" stage and into something more serious I would happily claim them as my own. Provided they, and her, were comfortable with that claim.

I would be as involved in raising them as she would let me be, though if I start feeling like a second class parent whose views and opinions on parental decisions are disregarded, that will become a problem in the long run.

I understand that there will be a learning curve as I acclimate to the parental role and it's myriad responsibilities but at a certain point I need to be viewed as an equal partner in the endeavor and treated as such.

Of course this presumes a relationship with someone whos children still have a lot of growing to do. Someone with older children, or even grown children, will have a fairly firm family dynamic already established. While I would want to be come a part of that dynamic I would not be looking to upset it or radically displace something that is already working for them just for the sake of feeling like I have a seat at the parental decisions table.

I have in the past.

Have done has it good and bad points . Now I'm a single dad not sure what I'm gonna do opportunity hasn't arisen yet so not sure what will happen

Simon1 Level 7 July 29, 2018

I can recall examples from people I know where it worked and where the consequences were grave. Like all aspects of life, life is a gamble full of dangers and ultimately it is a deadly disease.

I most certainly would and would definitely want to be involved in raising them. I have never had a desire to have kids of my own, but children seem to love me, and I enjoy having fun with them.

children are a huge responsibility and a bigger burden. The fun part is only when they belong to some other person who will take them away at end of the day.

I don't think its a problem if both partners are happy with that.

moz Level 3 July 29, 2018

I have. I certainly would again.

Ozman Level 7 July 29, 2018

Hell, we've been broken up for over a decade now, and barely talk at this point (we remained friends for years). I am still her kids' favourite uncle, and helped raise them when she couldn't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.