Agnostic.com

8 2

Tattoos - care to share?

I've been slowly planning a tattoo for myself & was wondering where others are at in this respect.
What kind? How many? Meaning/reason? Stories? Advice? If you don't have one, why/why not? I miss anything?

Decieven 7 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is my only tattoo so far, hearts in a tribal style around my arm. I always wanted a tattoo so I drew what I wanted then got it done. To me it means love. My advice is to choose an experienced artist. And if it costs more than you anticipated, please wait until you can afford it.

zing Level 6 May 31, 2018

I have three. A dragon on each shoulder/upper arm, and a full back piece. I didn't rush into getting them. Have had them for a long time, think they are works of art (especially the back piece), and glad that I got them. Think it is important to work with the tattooer and be happy with their artistic skills. Reason - love oriental style dragons. The back piece is based on some old oriental art that shows a warrior, a tiger, some trees and a waterfall. Also have a poem in japanese characters at the lower left.

I currently only have two. The picture below is my first and favorite. Its the Celtic symbol for life/death/and immortality. the second on I have is medusa on my other shoulder. I feel like you should do it, you don't ever want to feel regret for not doing something (I have too many of those). Just make sure Its what you want. I want to get another but to get it where I want involves me losing a little weight.

getting@Decieven I waited till I was 25 before I got my first, part of me regrets waiting so long and the other part is happy I waited because I don't regret what I chose. The one important advice I can give is when choosing an artist, try to find one that finds your tattoo design just as interesting as you do. I went to over 20 different shops before I found the one for me.

My first "love", at age 11, looked like a frog... according to my best friend. She bought me a plastic one as a joke, & I've been collecting them ever since.
At 21 I had a small one tattooed above my right breast. A couple more small ones over the years, then started on my big one. It was my supervisor's idea... frogs on a vine, winding up my body.
I'm 13 hours in, up to my waist, & only stopped temporarily because I gained weight.
I think they're beautiful! Mine are covered at work since I'm in a corporate environment, otherwise I show them off!
As for advice.... be prepared for pain. Yes, it hurts like hell. Have a drink (some will tell you not to) or take some Tylenol before.
Don't book a 5 hour session the first time! Take it slow.
Don't let them scab over, keep the skin supple.
And finally, you get what you pay for. Do some research, attend a show & see for yourself. This is a lifetime commitment. My guy has a plethora of awards, yet only charges $100 an hour. Plus tip.
That's actually cheap, considering.
Good luck!
(Sorry for the novel!)

I wanted one and I got one. It's as simple as that. No stories or reasons. 🙂

I have quite a few. My biggest piece is from when I believed-now I look at it differently. It is 3 cherubs with hair color matching those I struggled with losing and their names. I was having horrible dreams and such. My son, my sister (murdered) and my nephew. I now see them as angels on earth..I have a phoenix on my right arm-I feel it fits me and the life I've lived. I have "no lies, just love" each on a wrist. I have one on each of my ankles..left-the love hurts m&m, right-a kanji for friend..on my foot I have a rose & vine which is in the shape of a heart for a fallen friend. My advice is to have something that resembles something that deeply shaped your being, or states who you are.My personal creed is I refuse to put the living on me.

also, I struggled with suicidal thoughts and got one that's hard to describe..it's a heart beat but beginning and end of it the lettering is 'until the very end'. It is a line from Harry Potter. I got it as a promise to my kids-to stick around until my body gives me no choice.

I don't have any.
I never had the urge to get one, especially when I see all the bad ones out there.
People do stupid things like get their BF/GF's name or even a spouse.
Long sentences or phrases that are horribly drawn or misspelled.

No thanks.

@Decieven Yes, I've also seen some beautiful artwork done be very skilled artists.

No face tattoos either!

tattoos are very difficult to remove if your viewpoint changes in the future and you selected the wrong one. Personally I don't like body decorations of any kind. The human body is beautiful the natural way evolution made it. But I'm only one person and you may have reasons you think you need a tattoo.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.