Agnostic.com

97 16

What song would you want played for your funeral?

What song would you want played for your funeral?

Here's the one for me:

Always loved The Mamas and The Papas!

Haley Reinhardt has a really good cover of this song too!

HeyHiHullo 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

97 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its a toss up between wish you were here by pink Floyd or can I play with madness by iron maiden

Black hole sun seasons in the sun

So much comes to mind... but start with theme music from “The Godfather l & ll”, a few words, then for “my finale”, “Danny (Tommy) Boy” as performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir... (at Red Rocks, CO), won’t be a dry eye in the house... not because of me, mostly because of the music.
If possible, I’d want a whole body drop in the ocean, in my speedo, or cremation with ashes scattered at sea.

Tomas Level 7 July 23, 2018

No SONG, but the melodious SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

Beer Barrel Polka with kegs of Guinness.

Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix

I find this question odd, as I won't want anything at my funeral.
In fact I intend no Funeral at all. I intend to be promptly cremated and my ashes blown into small glass orbs of different colors, which can be presented to all my surviving family. They can then do with them whatever they want, throw them into the sea, piss on em, smash them, place them on a mantle, whatever helps them in their catharsis.
I am not there, it won't be my issue.
It is not about me or my beliefs, but about comfort to others.
I have thought about what song might give them comfort at such a time.

Wow. It is a very very long time since I heard that song! I'm curious as to how/why you recalled it and posted. Have you thought of joining "Traditional and Folkmusic"?

Someone once wrote he wanted at the end of his funeral for them to play "Pop Goes the Weasel," while everyone in the audience watches the coffin lid uneasily to see if he pops up. Sounds good to me.

The Rolling Stone's "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

Some other songs by the Stones that could be played at my funeral are:
Wild Horses
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter

I also would like:
One - U2
Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
Maragaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
Shelter from teh Storm - Bob Dylan
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Bob Dlyan
The rest of Bob's "Blood on the Tracks" album as far as that goes, I think it is his best album.
Blue Skies - performed by Willie Nelson on his Stardust album
My Favorite Things - as performed by John Coltrane
Roundabout - Yes
The Weight - The Band
Along with many others.

I may have to put a playlist in my will now that I think about it.

Fade into you by Mazzy Star, Great Song!

That's not a funeral song. It is more a great party send off. Cool

Black Sabbath War Pigs

Pink Floyds "Outside the wall" from the movie -

All alone or in twos
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall

Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands
The bleeding hearts and the artists make their stand

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall

gater Level 7 Jan 26, 2018

None. I am not having a funeral.

Cremate me (since putting me in a compost heap isn't allowed - although it should be), disperse my ashes, or put them in an urn, post an obit. Done.

There is no need to perpetuate the Neanderthal ritual of gaping at a dead body in a casket. I am considering having money put aside to allow my daughter to throw a 'rememberance party', but no funeral.

While being scattered to the wind, would there be any song you'd like played?

@HeyHiHullo "While being scattered to the wind, would there be any song you'd like played?" Honestly, no.

I didn't play a song or bow my head when I ripped up the bushes in front of my house and killed them in cold sap, so I would expect the same treatment if I die. We are all just animated bits of protoplasm, and when you are dead - you're dead. No song necessary.

Now, I may change things up a bit ... and every time I enter a room from now on, I'll play the main few bars from The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)" by John Williams [youtube. com/ watch?v=ehrj58nJBJI] People will start to associate it with me, and then when I die it can be played as an exit.

@AtheistInNC good choice

your a nut

At my funeral I would love for my best friend to deliver the eulogy. But I also have to give my sister equal time for the rebuttal.

As for the song, I don't just want this song played... I want everyone to participate.

I came across this recently and thought it funny.

Orchestral Suite from Star Trek: The Next Generation "The Inner Light"

Anthem by Leonard Cohen - my favorite line from the lyrics "There is a crack in everything ... that's how the light gets in."

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

Well, I have a list of songs,
Bat out of Hell -Meatloaf,
Smoke on the Water, - Deep Purple,
Son of my Father,
Riders on the Storm, and since I'm going to cremated,
Light My Fire - The Doors, to be the last song played.

We must be similar in age (I am 63) - I liked those Deep Purple and Doors songs when I was in my teens.

I second thought, I think I need a medley. I also need 'Roly Poly Fish Heads' and 'They Are Coming to Take Me Away', just to put people at ease : )

Source:
jeffy Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy", with the Chris Cunningham video shown on a big screen. At the point where the monster climbs out of the television and screams in the old lady's face, I plan for a spring device built into my coffin to be released so that my corpse suddenly leaps out, flies through the air and lands among the mourners.

They won't forget me in a hurry. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

I am planning a big dinner, while playing a montage of my fave movie clips, mostly comedic on screens. Thus no music, per se.

At my husband's funeral, I insisted on Collective Soul as my husband, who gave that church SO much always asked them to play that, and they always refused. Finally got them to play some for him, dammit! Was the least that they could do.

Zster Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

It's a near tie for me! I really like Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun but I think I'll have to go with the classic - Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

Source:
jeffy Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

Very good cover of black hole sun!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.