Agnostic.com

14 2

Get your flu shot?

Greze... we're thinking about staying home because it's so bad this year. Doctors said it takes off a 30% chance of you getting it. Not to mention you may get sick from the shot....ugh!

BucketlistBob 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are they claiming you can get sick from the shot itself? I haven't heard that, though I have heard that feeling sick right after getting the shot is a good indication you were already exposed to a virus. I heard that the effectiveness is greatly diminished this year, largely because the particular strain that's so virulent is difficult to cultivate in the lab. I don't get the flu shot. My father, though elderly, is in good health yet. Once he becomes feeble or there are indications of immunodeficiency, I'll get the shot each year just to cut down on the risk to him.

Awww heck brother... me and Susie just get sick after those shots... . I don't really know if its the shots or not. I'm just thinking it's the shots.

@BucketlistBob Well, I hope that's not the case. Allergic reactions are certainly possible, and thankfully rare but I've heard that the reaction can be severe. (Sorry, I don't know anything specific about it, though.)

Never.

This year they seem to have missed the mark when they guessed which flu strains to include. Sometimes that happens. However when people say they “got sick” from the flu shot it means they had some minor symptoms for 2-3 days, which is a lot better than being so sick you want to die (or DO die) for a week or more. My health insurance covers it for free so I just do it.

Good .... protect yourself as best you can.

I got the vaccine back in November. First time in many years. As I write this I have the flu. This year the vaccine certainly didn’t do much. I can say that with certainty.

Yeah I got one, and I'm just getting over the flu. thanks for asking...

Always get it

Not to mention you may get sick from the shot

No... There's 0% chance of that happening, the virus is inert and unable to reproduce, which is how it makes you sick. IF you get sick, you were too late in getting the shot and were already infected.

However, most people also mistake colds for the flu, if you truly got the flu your going to be bed ridden with a high fever, vomiting and muscle aches. That's why there's a running sexist joke that when a man has a cold it's called "Man Flu", apparently some men react to having a running nose, sore throat and headache as though they're dying, like the flu makes you feel.

If you read around you'll see "flu can be deadly, especially in high-risk groups." which to those who know no better think means only high-risk groups are at risk but no the flu can be deadly to everyone, but like bullets it depends when and where it hits. If you don't think you're going to die, or wish you could so it would stop, you don't have the flu, unless a doctor tested you and says so in which case you got the cuddliest breed, consider yourself lucky.

Doctors said it takes off a 30% chance of you getting

Unfortunately true because of evolution there are too many breeds to vaccinate against so they pick the ones that are predicted to be heavy widespread hitters.

Not this year. Unfortunately, I did get the flu around the holidays. I’m going to make dame sure I get it next season. I was sick for a week!

I have gotten a flu shot every year for the past 5 years, mainly because I can get it for free. I get asthma, so some people can get a free one. Pregnant ladies, Diabetics, people prone to asthma, over 65 year olds.
So I take advantage, and have not had the flu/cold in 5 years. 🙂

Sacha Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

Don't get flu shots-I say no to free shot and my docs don't push me.

no

I got my flu shot, now I read that they didn't guess quite right and it is going to be a rough flu season. My oldest daughter is pregnant and has had the flu just recently. My grandbaby spent some time in the ER today with an upper respiratory infection. Yeah, I'd like to stay home for the rest of the flu season, but I don't think that is in the cards.

Got mine. Common misconception that the shot will make you sick. I've been getting them for years and haven't gotten sick from the shot once.
Too bad there's a different strain that's nailing so many people. I'm avoiding public places as much as possible.

Getting sick from the shot is a myth as I understand. Just means you got the shot too late or a newer strain got you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.