Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Offer them a cold drink on a hot day. It's not something I have encountered for a very long time. Maybe, just maybe, I won't stop my dog from humping their leg.

dokala Level 7 July 21, 2018

Nope,thank humanity you encountered a still humane one.Most of them especially the Catholics and Church of Christ ones are very stubborn and will definitely engage you when you refuse them or better yet tell them you don't believe in their Gods(I know because I used to be a devout Church of Christ member and I used to be part of their door to door dogma propaganda teams,and with the Catholics I myself had a face to face argument with one of em)

These days, I just don’t answer doors to anybody I don’t know or are expecting. On those occasions when I am confronted with them face to face, I typically politely brush them off. I don’t want to waste their time or mine. Especially mine.

I say I'm NOT a christian and NO I don't want to be saved! bye

I ask with all earnestness what bikes they recommend.

It's very important to be civil and clearly explain your views if you care about sewing tiny seeds of doubt that might one day free them from their . You did exactly the right thing.

It might be fun to be rude it try to trigger them (eg my gay lover will be back from mass any moment) but in the case of JWs they are thoroughly trained to expect negativity and it reinforces their church's teaching that the devil is in control of "the world" (ie anyone who is not a JW).

We have a Mezzuzah on the door frame as we (are) Jewish. I just point to it and say “ I’m one of the chosen, are you?”

I have had fun with those kinds of encounters, but usually I politely state that I have "absolutely no interest in engaging in a religious debate", wish them a pleasant day, and close the door. If I expect anyone to respect my beliefs, then I should first extend that courtesy to someone wanting to share theirs. My city has a "no soliciting" code, and I will also politely explain that to them. For those who argue that their proselytizing (my word choice) is allowed, I counter with this is precisely the reason for the law! I don't mind girl scout cookie sellers, but not religions!

Rustee Level 7 June 28, 2018

The same way I treat any pusher (drugs, salesmen, religious people) -- I tell them I don't like pushers. I seek out dealers. Pushers seek out others. I also do the same for phone sales. Door-to-door was once consider the 'back-bone of American'. I do not think so at all.

xyz123 Level 7 June 25, 2018

I don't answer the door for unexpected knocks. Anyone I consider worthy of knocking on my door has my cell number & would have called ahead.

My mode of operation exactly...too funny

I answer the door naked or in my boxers. They don't want to see that and I don't want to see them.

Lol...I've got this scenario in my head now: "Honey! Its those damned jehova bastards...Quick... take off your clothes and answer the door!

I never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If the doorbell rings I'm pretty sure it's either someone selling something (religion or otherwise) or a homicidal maniac, and I hate it when that happens.

Well, I enjoy teasing them. The most common are Jehovah's witnesses. I use their own knowledge against them. I start off with how do they pronounce God's name, where it is specifically stated in Torah that God's name can not be pronounced? And where they spell it, there are no vowels.

Then I ask them what Bible did Jesus and the Apostles use? The Torah. So, if it was good enough for them, why not you?

I don't even get into the reason of atheism, I just use their own materials to make fools of them.

Of course, then I point put the Jews never took the Torah literally, even the concept of God was a metaphor, which is why over 52% of Jews are atheists, but embrace the culture and nation, while thinking the concept of God silly.

We have always been as polite - but short - as possible. Since we moved up here to the TN mountains, we have had them come by - usually groups of two or three men - until a couple of years ago. It was early in the morning when the doorbell rang and while I was struggling to open the door while containing a 100 lb German Shepherd, I had a slight "wardrobe malfunction". I don't know who was more embarrassed -- me or them. They skedaddled pretty fast and we didn't have any more visits for about 2 years - now they've started up again but they're sending the women now! 😉 😉

In Germany I was once forced to answer the door wrapped in a towel because the JW's wouldn't stop ringing the doorbell while I was having a shower (I was working nightshifts at the time). They were an older guy and a younger woman, I looked at them and said "hey we're having an orgy, you fancy joining in"? I was never bothered by JW's again in Germany and only once more elsewhere (Netherlands). I think I've been blacklisted! 😀

Pete66 Level 6 June 18, 2018

Been years, but I laugh and shut the door.

It has not happened to me in many, many years. But if it does, I hope to handle it the same way you did. You are very kind.

Some of them have the rare hability to swing my mood towards the bad side faster than the speed of light !! Perhaps they deserve a Physics Nobel prize

I live on 2.5 acres and 200 feet fron the road with 3 no trespassing signs not because I dislike people but for liability but years ago I’d get JWs or LDS and would greet them with Asalaam Alechum and tell them I was Muslim... honestly you never people walk away from me so fast

This is a COP OUT but it's what I do. I have a crucifix hanging on the wall facing the front door. It is put there for the very purpose of reference to any proselytizing faction of Christianity or (insert belief here). My immediate family knows I don't revere it's meaning in the traditional sense, but it keeps me from having to say more than, "sorry, we are devout catholics" (which we aren't) and ending the process there. In my experience, Catholics never go door to door, so no one ever calls me on it.

I might have to try that. Except I’ll be honest and say as I point to it, sorry but I’m in favor of violent ends for know it alls. That should work right?

@Wurlitzer --Might put you on some registry that keeps them off your stoop, worth a try.

When one of the JW's asked me if I had been raised in any religion and I replied "Catholic"....she leaned over to her companion and said ....that's why she's an atheist. I laughed all morning.

Don't answer. pretty simple

I talk with them and debate them. I always treat them with respect. I used to evangelize myself, I get where they're coming from. I essentially take it as an opportunity to evangelize atheism. Many of the most outspoken atheists are former believers. Maybe I can get them to Join our ranks

Cover them with a door bra.

I tell them I'm happy in my beliefs and throw what crap they hand me in the trash.

This is crude and rude, but after a lifetime of having mormon missionaries, without a collective brain in their head, knock on my door and try to waste my time, one day they showed up at my door. I told them to get off my porch before I arrested them for trespassing. They gave whiney responses but did leave, then returned several minutes later and apologized. Again, I told the to get off my porch, and they started into their spiel, " we are missionaries from the church of jesus christ of latter day saints ( a title they now use to incorporate the name of jesus to prove they are not a cult )
...I interrupted and said, "I know who you are, and since I cannot get you to leave, which one wants to come in and
suck my dick." they left, and not one has come back to my door, tho they will yell at me from the street.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.