Agnostic.com

21 6

Are there any objects, even seemingly ordinary, that you attach an emotional significance to?

An heirloom, something that triggers a good memory, or any other material item that would be hard to part with on an emotional level...

silvereyes 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So It's all about the context then. Which is as it should be I suppose. My folks had this antique dining room table that I grew up around and we played many games and had many meals around it. When my mom died two years ago she left it to me. The finish was practically worn off the top and it was badly water ringed. I sanded the top and refinished it and now my kids and I will game around it until it goes to one of them. I'll put a couple of pics on my profile page.

Yep🙂 apparently there's no way to put a description on a pic?

Wow, that's beautiful, @Fearlessfreep - and no doubt gaining more gaming karma each year.

My antique singer sewing machine that was in my parents house growing up. It was passed on to me when they moved. Also my late feline sons paw print in clay and his ashes.

Things can always be replaced...NEVER be a hoarder...

An antique micro mosaic brooch handed down to me from my great grand mother who emigrated from Sicily

Oh you are of Sicilian ancestory? I thought you were also an Asian Mix like myself. Awesome! 🙂 I am actually half Japanese, half French.

Many because they remind me of loved ones. Here is a short list from my long life. Dad- small shaving mirror and a half pint Sunnybrook bottle.

Continuation : Webster's unabridged dictionary gift from parents on my 7th birthday. Hot chocolate set and washing picture and bowl which came with family members from West Virginia to Idaho and then Oklahoma. Marble top chest I bought with my first paycheck at age 12.

I love my ps4

I miss the music with a soul in the 70s and 80s. Pink Floyd- Dark side of moon is even has a stronger message for today.

Daughter birth, sculptor contests and Romances are the most solid memories.

I may have to many of them I could be a hoarder, I can attach a memory to many many objects this is a problem when I have an extremely good memory.

My cell phone. Lol. It's not an heirloom.

My guitars

Multi tool well that is more for survival if needed.

Cars, all of my cars I nearly cry when they are sold...

Oh, mercy, many! Probably too many. For a while now I've been trying to remember that getting rid of something that someone gave me (particularly loved ones who have died) is not the same as getting rid of them/their memory.

Some that I'll always keep are my grandmother's wedding rings (which I sometimes wear, illogically, for luck); my MIL's rosary; and the huge, old McCoy mixing bowl that my nana made my favorite sweetbread in.

I have a ornament my sister made for me of a man kicked back and removing his shoes. He's leaning against a sign that points to London. She painted for me too. I was born in Lancashire.

Apparently mine is my cell phone. I have stress dreams often where I lose my cell phone and I'm freaked out. I feel lost, cut off, afraid... I think it represents my ability to reach out if I'm ever in trouble.

Highly skilled, master hoarder here! Everything in my house, garage, barn, and storage shed(s) is a memory from my past, or my parents' or their parents'. And you thought there was no meaning to life! 😉

skado Level 9 Jan 12, 2018

Ashes. Photos. Voice recordings. Personal items exchanged sometimes.

No I'm past materialism having faced death three times in 9 years. I love my dog, cat and 2 daughters. Love my home.

I keep a couple of handmade love letters from my ex, they meant so much to me and gave me much joy.

A couple of old books from the 1940's that my mom gave to me before she passed -- "Great Ghost Stories of the World" and "Seven Famous Novels by H.G. Wells". These are not only reminders of the past, but good reading too. Also, I have my father's watch, that he gave me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.