Agnostic.com

44 5

Impossible relationship

Is it possible for an Agonist/Atheist/Free thinker/Humanist to be in a serious, romantic relationship with a Christian?
Every time I asked this question, the answer is "no." But that answer is ALWAYS given by the Christian side of the argument.
I am respectful of anyone's beliefs, so why can't two individuals of different beliefs have a long term relationship?

Ana305 4 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The problem I see is not only do you have to overcome the differences between the two of you, but also deal with a religious family dynamic. First, the believer probably has to be a fairly liberated believer. If they are weekly attenders of church, bible studies and other church functions and you choose not to go at all, it could be an issue. As a non believer, are you OK with your children being baptized? Will you attend the service? Will you go to holiday services with their family; church weddings and funerals? Is your partner going to be all right with going to all these events on their own if you are not willing to spend time in that environment? My first and second wife were not Atheists, but neither were they really church going people, mainly holidays and events. I was willing to go for certain activities to keep family harmony. Besides, the more times I have been in church, the more it reinforces how silly the whole thing is, so I had no fear of being converted! ?

I don't see why not... but then I don't insist others believe as I do. It's always the Xians on the dating sites who tell me "this wouldn't work out, even though you seem nice, because you're an atheist." Never me telling them, "You seem nice, but I can't date a Christian".

seems like it would eventually become the big elephant in the room dependent on how both parties viewed their belief systems

I have only tried it once.
For a while it worked, but eventually it did get in the way.
We are still friends though.

If both parties agree to disagree and not let their beliefs (or lack of) get in the way of an honest relationship, it is possible. Easier said than done though.

Binny Level 3 Aug 1, 2018

If there's a genuine respect for each of course it's possible. If one side or the other tries to impose their beliefs (or lack of) it's a control and/or ignorant thing not a god, religion or anything else thing.

Don't know. Never tried. And I won't. I prefer my partners to be logical and intelligent.

It's entirely possible. Back when I was dating on OKCupid, they had a fun study going on. It showed that the two partners' religions actually mattered less than their respective attitudes towards religions. Two "Very Serious About It" Christians were actually less likely to have a successful relationship than two people of differing faiths that were both "Laughing About It". So yeah, it's absolutely possible.

People can make it work if both sides respect each other and have strong boundaries. If you can let them be them and they can let you be you, it can work.

I never had a relationship with someone who wasn't a believer until recently. I really like that in my current relationship. It's more honest. But two different religions and even theist and non-theist can work. Before her it mostly worked. It definitely wasn't religion that ended my previous relationships.

There are so many other challenges in maintaining a long term relationship, why make it even harder? You want to increase the odds of success, not decrease them.

I wouldn't think it would be impossible. Heck, there are people in relationships that have differing political views. You can disagree with someone's beliefs and still have a wonderful relationship. Your in the relationship with the person, not their views. There are other things to connect with besides religious and political views.

Not impossible at all. Simply a matter of deciding whether or not to make it a major issue, and being able to respect one another's differences. And there always are some !

I was in a 12 year marriage. It's possible but very hard. When the lifestyle is not the same it makes it very difficult to live in the same household.

Compassion is key. Find immutable truths in mother nature. Truth confirms truth

Sure it can work, but the odds aren't in favor of it. We obviously don't have concrete odds, but in my experiences and what I've heard from couples, it's a slim chance. When people are so entrenched in ideologies and someone challenges them, even in a non-hostile way, it's like you're challenging their very being and self. They have a set of preconceived notions about who you will be too. It depends on how religious they are though. If someone just believes in God, but doesn't go to church and has never read the bible then sure there's a great chance you can get along. If they read the bible and go to church and are around others who do the same, then their ideologies are being reinforced. That goes for anyone. It's probably why so many people on both sides of the political paradigm are always at each other's throats. Ever hear of a successful relationship with a hardcore conservative and a hardcore liberal? This is probably on a tangent, but ever hear of a successful relationship between a hardcore conservative and a transgendered person? Those probably don't even start, let alone flourish into a successful relationship.

Its worth a try - anything is worth a try, sometimes you just have to test a theory!

Yes, it's absolutely possible. I have no qualms about dating real Christians, as long as they don't try to convert me.

The one time i dated a seriously religious person, he could not help somehow bringing up god or the bible in every conversation we had. i was fine with him having different views than me, but it obviously was not ok with him.

If they love each other and are committed to working the relationship, then why not.

Betty Level 8 Aug 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:145681
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.