Agnostic.com

24 1

Should we give religious believers a little more slack?

• 6 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 7 votes
El-loco 7 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In any given controversy, the person who has the facts is the adult, and the person suffering under erroneous information is, in effect, the child. Children don't need abuse; they need understanding, and education. The enemy is ignorance, not misinformed people.

skado Level 9 Jan 12, 2018

Adults that are suffering under erroneous information that is inherently intolerant are very hard to reason with. They become insulting and condescending.

Yes they do, just like kids. @kensmile4u

@skado My question (and my point) is once you've tried to reason with an adult who rejects you with prejudice what is your next step?

@kensmile4u Same as with a child, I think. Understand that they can only learn at their pace. Try not to frighten them. Focus on what you have in common. Be the best role model you can be. Realize that gentle hints, delivered with kindness over a long period of time, can be more effective than a confrontational assault. Don’t engage rudeness. With adults, there is no obligation to have a next step if they can’t maintain civility.

@skado Good words and good analogy. I raised three sons as a single parent. That experience taught me many hard lessons which are useful dealing with adult conflict resolution.

Yes, certainly. @TheMiddleWay

Most of them were brainwashed from birth ,and they did not even choose to be what they are ,so sure I will give them some slack ,UNLESS they attempt to convert me in an annoying manner or are overly persistent

IF they (1) do NOT mix their religion with politics, , (2) treat all people with full dignity and respect, (AND (3) keep their religion to themselves, I don't care what they do. But, the problem is that most can't meet all of these 3 conditions.

Look, I understand perfectly well when you finally begin to open your eyes and start shedding the mantle of religion that it is easy to become a "militant atheist". I get it, been there, done that, but as you age you begin to see and appreciate religion is as much culture as anything else.

Some people need their religion like Linus needs his blanket, and berating them for it is cruel and not wise of a person who supposedly has become enlightened.

@kensmile4u That may still be true in many parts of the world, but here in the US, that level of intolerance towards non-believers as you are describing would be called a Cult.

@LucifersPen In my comment I said they will try to convert us or in the extreme kill us. But in between those choices there are many insidious and malignant actions ongoing against non-beleivers in the US all the time. Have you ever had a boss ask you about your religion? Have you ever had a customer ask you about your religion? Have you ever had a potential love interest ask you about your religion? Have you ever had your teacher or your child's teacher ask you about your religion? Have you ever had your doctor, dentist, lawyer, police officer or handyman ask you about your religion? All of these examples are not harmless.

@kensmile4u: No, I can't say I've ever had a boss ask me point blank about my religion. Customers, that's another thing altogether, since dealing with the public will get you involved with some strange characters. As for a potential love, I would hope so, as that is a major lifestyle issue. As for teachers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, and police...no, never! What part of the country do you reside in?

@LucifersPen I have lived in 5 states and traveled to over 30. All of these things happened to me in southern states. I've been thinking I need to move. Lol

@kensmile4u Head West 😉

@kensmile4u I have never had any of those things happen.

@El-loco There are many rural areas in the American south that stubbornly hold on to antebellum values.

Not the extremists. Any religion.

They get way too much slack. We've given them inches, and they've taken miles. We've stood by silently while they've elected a brainless child as president, and said he's chosen by God!

Unfortunately the creed of intolerant religions is not "live and let live"! Many follow a doctrine that compels them to view non-religiuos people as worthless, or a misguided danger, or oxygen thieves. So they are taught to convert us or in the extreme kill us. In the long run militant or intolerant religion can not co-exist in a culture with divergent thought. There will always be conflict. History shows this to be immutable truth.

I say we we give 'em a little more smack.

godef Level 7 Jan 12, 2018

I am perfectly content to live and let live. It would be nice if they felt the same way.

Zster Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

Why have the buttons all shifted around??

In my book, anyone can believe anything they want - even if I think it's stupid. I would rather talk with them than fight them.

Ouch! I was only suggesting that we be nice to people who might come and talk to us.

Here? Or in general?

My personal experience of "come talk to us" has been that they arrive, dishing out meanness. So, no thank you. I get enough attacks from the religious on every other site that I visit on the net.

No, no and no unless they keep it to themselves and affect no one else.

lerlo Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

I try to cut them slack but only when they are respectful to me, if they're not then I'll either give them the silent treatment or I'll become a pain in their ass

I am from the line of thought of... "Enough rope to hang themselves". Because anything else will be slacking from our part.

One of the problems with polls is the choices limit views to a single answer, and it's not a simple yes\no question.

One thing is certain, people who are fearful to express their views can become dangerous. Putting religious views in the underground promotes extremism, which often leads to violence. We see it in all our monotheistic Faith's originating from the the God of Abraham, mostly because society and science and technology moved beyond them, and they felt marginalized, and have\are\will strike(ing) back.

I think the best course of action is to keep people who are religious involved, and allow them to have a voice in society. I think societal evolution is a process, not an event, and so long as we keep them at the table, they are exposed to what benefits a secular society can offer, and eventually as non-religious views become more popular and more the norm, most will come around to enough of an extent that their form of belief won't be damaging to society.

The last thing we should want is to keep them secluded (self imposed or otherwise), away from the societal norms the rest of us experience. I think their are people of good faith, by either upbringing, teaching, or innate character. And I think there are people who live in their own version of reality, one not nearly as real as some science fiction.

But you can't dismiss a person outright, nor dismiss a culture, a movement, or a population. We do so at our own peril. Better the devil you know, and all that.

I don't think we have to influence, debate, argue, hate, etc. those who choose to follow a particular faith. There are many reasons why, and in my perspective, it helps many to keep them from going crazy over an existential crisis. I've been there - but I've learned to cope with it.

Faith/religion is basically a way to cope, in my perspective, about the inherent meaninglessness of the universe. Lol

Slack? I don't give them anything but the same respect I give everyone. That's like them asking if they should give me slack. As an individualist I go into every relationship with someone in the same manor.

Slack in what way?

Depends what is meant by slack. Religious extremists, no slack. Genuine people who have a religion but are tolerant and progressive, yes. Religious organisations that take money from people, support reactionary policies, teach superstitious nonsense to children instead of critical thinking, cover up appalling deeds by their members and do all they can to thwart human progress, absolutely no slack whatsoever.

I think there's a difference between the UK and the US here.

What difference do you see between the two countries?

There is a bit of conscious choice involved to live in a state of willful ignorance. So, no, I don't think they deserve any slack.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14600
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.