Agnostic.com

9 5

We all know the types, that believe God intervenes when something wonderful happens, some kind of divine plan, but deny that anything terrible is of God's doing. What is your take on this?

I see it as you can't have it both ways. If you believe that God is all powerful then that being does everything or nothing.

Akfishlady 8 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anyone spewing out the gawd gott gods sounds to me get an instant reply: "What are you talking about? They merely repeat the sound gawd. I repeat WHAT IS THAT? THEY HAVE no coherent answer only gibberish. ...I never enable delusions. ....Some get wise then fall back SO YOU'RE an Atheist ? I stare. "You don't believe in gawd? My reply is I WALK IN DOORS I have no need for door beliefs because doors exist. ....after that they know they have been branded stupid

its bullshit

I tell people that you can't praise god for the good and not blame him for the bad.

Obviously those people believe in a capricious and unloving god who uses people as toys and discards them as they get old, disfigured, sick or unwanted.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 12, 2018

The miracle vs the "tragical." You can't have one without the other.

Edward Currant (religious Poe type satire on youtube) came up with the term in one of his videos some time back.

A really fundamental question. There are two points here. The first is the inconsistency between God being responsible for anything good, but not responsible for anything bad. Theists always seems to come back to one answer: it's God's plan, it's beyond our comprehension, it's a mystery etc, That's their way of avoiding thinking about it. The second question is about God not just not preventing bad, but doing it himself. Look at the bible. God's consent of murder, rape, enslavement and retribution. So many atheists have pointed this out. Read Dawkins. How can this be? Because monotheists create their God then put him outside of the moral and sin framework that he apparently created. He is not subject to it. So, if we murder, rape, and enslave, we are guilty of sins, and also human crimes. But if God does it, that's OK. God is always good, they say. God cannot be other then good. Whatever he does is always good. He is Goodness. Not only absurd and a contradiction, but dangerous. If whatever God does it good, even if bad, then it's good. If religionist zealots follow God's Will, and do bad, that's OK because the cosmic diplomatic immunity that He has flows on to them. All religious atrocities, including modern terrorist thinking, is based on this false reasoning. It stems from a God concept. It follows inevitably.

If God is omniscient and omnipotent, I don't see how he could "intervene" at any time. If he knows everything that's going to happen and controls everything, then everything must have been set up exactly the way he wanted it to at creation. He couldn't not know something or change his mind, and no situation could arise that's not part of his plan. That's why I never understood praying for something to happen. I'd be like, "why? He's already decided everything, duh.". And don't even get me started on "Satan", who is also supposedly a creation of this all knowing, all powerful God. If Gods own creation could undermine him in any way, he'd be a lousy object of worship.

You have to be pretty shallow in your thinking to accept this stuff. It took me a short time as a child to sort it out.

Selective good deeds and selective tragedies.

It's god's will. LMAO

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.