Agnostic.com

130 28

What’s the origin of your Agnostic.com name?

My name, bleurowz, is the name for my design/creative work. I love a blue rose, and so I took the words and put them together in a different way, and I’ve also created the below logo for myself.

But there’s more to this story. Sometime after a friend had asked me if I’d gotten the name from The Glass Menagerie -- I had to look it up, and this is what I found: “Jim calls Laura ‘Blue Roses,’ a mispronunciation of ‘pleurosis,’ the childhood disease that left Laura crippled. The name ‘Blue Roses’ turns Laura’s defect into an asset: her unusual qualities are seen as special rather than debilitating.”

I can’t make this stuff up.

bleurowz 8 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

130 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just my initials with the word "go" prefixed to it, something I came up with when I needed a new User ID in a pinch.

godef Level 7 Aug 3, 2018

Cassiopeia has been my online name for about 15 years, in games and for my business. I can’t remember why!

Mine was a name progression for my eldest daughter..
“Boo boo” in baby talk language then morphed into “Big bogga boo” and then “BigBogeesh” and eventually just Geesh or Geeshie but I started using BigBogeesh everywhere so I have that familiar problem...wanted to keep my usernames consistent.

Derivation of my last name, Grogan. From the Police song "Roxanne" comes Grogman.

Second last name of a (fictional) Mexican detective and the year I was born. His first last name is a mouthful (even for speakers of Spanish).

I like to write and do it fairly well.

I had the same name as another employee and I decided to pick a new name for myself. I had been reading up about Lucy the hominid but when I tried to explain who she was to co-workers they look confused. For some reason I then said it was short for Lucyfer.

Most of them have called me Lucyfer ever since lol

I have the same name on Facebook and it is from African Shig. I got the name in Kenya and it is in reality a shortening down of your real given name.

For me it is my name and my favorite essential oil. I wear it all the time and it is usually how people identify me. I have been told by my work mates that they can smell me when I am around......I think that is a good thing!?

Well, Arthur C. Clarke, of course. Had the pleasure of an email exchange with him about 20 years ago. Odd fellow, but inspirational.

It's a reference to my last name

An interesting character in Terry Pratchett novels. A real troll made of rock. Brilliant when made very cold, stupid when warm.

My fingers slipped on the keyboard. 🙂

I was thinking of having a cup of coffee at the time.

I try to find joy in small things and polkadots are a happy design. It has become my name in my local kink community...so now I'm polkadot.

Seeing mean trolls and vicious on-line fighting made me want a handle that would inspire and encourage people to be the best they could be. I don't know if my handle inspired anyone else but it reminds me to never sink to the same level of people who are mean to me.

"Dare to dream. For what you dream, so shall you become."

I was in AA for 25 years. I made a lot of great friends in the program and adopted it as a way of life. There are lots of little short slogans used in AA "First things first", "Live and let live", "It works if you work it" and "Easy does it". I was going through a lot of things in my first years in AA, divorce, death of my son, loss of job on top of trying to live sober. It was very difficult, and remembering the words "easy does it" was sort of a mantra for me. I've used it as my username with this funky spelling for a couple of different things.

My name is Geo. McCalip. Geo. is the abbreviation for George. One of my favorite nicknames has been Mic. When looking for a handle years ago I came up with mcgeo as a short form of McGeorge. That was taken so I added the 52, the year I was born.

To live in this parallel universe I wanted to become nobody

Best describes my state of mind...skeptic yet adventurous. You only regret the things you didn’t do.

my real name is jac podevin only 4 people in the U.K have that surname its originally french and Good King Wenceslaz's trusty page was named podevin. My family emigrated to Dover from France when Queen Isabella of France declared open season for one day for killing huguenots so they rushed to get across the channel and there are many dead podevins in the first churchyard you come to at Dover. I don't mind how people mispronounce it - I was at a polling booth yesterday and was given many variations of my name as boxes were ticked -I accept them all

A song from the musical Rent (my favorite) and my initials. I also have a No day but today tattoo. I try to live by the moto and not worry about what I can't see.

??? too long to type

Him76 Level 3 Aug 8, 2018

Beowulfsfriend is from the epic story of Beowulf of the Geats, early Danes, and his adventures. He has no friends, thus I am Nobody, the name used by Odysseus in the Odyssey.

Spag84 is short for spaghetti August 4th. It's also my gaming name.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:146652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.