Agnostic.com

21 1

What are some of the best books?

What are some of the best books or other sources that turned you from religious to non-religious?
"Letting go of god" by Julia Sweeney really started me to question things though certainly not alone.

Gringo6 4 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, now that's a tough one - there are so many! Two books I've read several times and will read again are Don Quixote and Orlando.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

The bible did it for me.

History books full of misleading and false facts.

Why I Am Not A Christian
Beyond Goid and Evil

@Gringo6 yes

@Gringo6 try thus sprawl Zarathustra

the godfather. was a great book!

High School, senior year, spanish class. Epic Poem written in "old castilian" "El Poema Del Mio Cid", epic poem about Rui Diaz de Vivar. The Cid. Charlton Heston, Sofia Loren 60's version movie, never remade because Disney hold the rights, but nothing like the epic poem in original antique language.

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith by Charles Templeton

The Cutting Room Floor by Dawn Klehr REALLY made me question everything I ever read about the Bible, such as the obvious, "why were all of the other books taken OUT of the Bible." "Were they trying to hide something?"

Bertrand Russell....I believe that's how you spell his name, was and early but a goodie

Green Eggs and Ham

Green Eggs and Ham

Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation. A perfect treatise. I just wish the Christian Nation would read it.

Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation. A perfect treatise. I just wish the Christian Nation would read it. Also a personal favourite, perhaps less well known, is Mathew McCormick Atheism and the Case Against Christ (2012). The focus is far wider than just the Christ myth, and is very interesting analysis of religion from many angles.

The bible and pursuing questions that it prompted was enough for me. Final break occurred a bit over 60 years ago and I've been a happy atheist since.

Ironically, the Bible. I read it several times, and each time I read it, it seemed less and less plausible.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

And

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Are two to put in the list IMO

Sense and Goodness Without God, by Richard Carrier. This changed everything. But that may be too much to digest at once, so I always suggest Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman, because it does not even mention religion but makes one think how mistakes are made.

sapiens by harari. should do it

The God series by mike hockney changed my life forever. These books are literal gems. They liberate the mind with ideas all in one place that is unknown to the world for the most part. For a person who doesn't resonate with religion or faith of anything in general, these books gave my life meaning when before I was an antinatalist. This is how empowering these books are.

Douglas Addams "Dirk Gently holistic detective" Worth it for the electronic monk

"Guns, Germs and Steel: the Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond (Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction in 1997) It's a very interesting read about how societies developed dominance based on climate, agriculture, available natural resources, etc. The second half of the book deals with the development and migration of languages. It's very well written and quite easy to read.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14712
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.