Agnostic.com

1 1

The Blue Dwarf is an interesting concept I've recently discovered, see my little write up about it below.

The smaller a star gets the less energy it needs to stop its own collapse, as a result M class stars burn their hydrogen fuel slowly. Compound this with the fact that red dwarfs are fully conductive, meaning that the hydrogen fuel within the star can completely circulate and all possible fuel can be used. This means that these stars have really long lifetimes of hundreds of trillions of years.

However, when they do run out of hydrogen fuel they will start to leave the main sequence much like every other star. As they do so they will start to burn hotter and brighter, some even becoming as bright as the sun is today. So trillions of years from now a new era of the universe will begin, the era of the blue dwarf. The blue dwarf stage of these stars has been estimated to last hundreds of billions of years, providing light and energy for a tremendous amount of time. Time far longer than the current age of the universe.

So cold and frozen worlds that lie outside of their star's habitable zone will in time find themselves enveloped in heat and light, and may provide another stage for the spectacle of life. Imagine life and civilizations being born on planets that are not billions of years old, but have been awakened after hundreds of trillions of years of frozen slumber.

Additional link to blog post, not by me.

[beyondearthlyskies.blogspot.com]

OrbitalResonance 4 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are some minor problems associated with your view of the blue dwarf, a type that is predicted as a result of the collapse of red dwarfs. Predicted because there hasn't been enough time for red dwarfs to have reached that stage in their development.

The potential problem is that as the radius of the red dwarf reduces and the temperature increases, there is the possibility that the smaller radiating surface area may be just enough to offset the rise in temperature. That is to say, the radiant energy may not increase enough to expand the habitable zone significantly. It is an interesting thought, though, and I may just play with the numbers a bit to see what will happen -- unless someone else hasn't already done so. They probably have, so I'll look. Thanks for the prompt.

That makes sense! Always glad to get input and numbers from others! Still, the timescales of habitability are wild!

@OrbitalResonance -- That they are, and if the numbers appear to come close to working, the possibilities for an eruption of new life forms in the Universe approaching the Cambrian Explosion relative to the Earth become quite high.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.