Agnostic.com

65 11

What do you call your mother-in-law?

I've mostly just called her by her first name since I met her, but now my wife wants me to call her "mom". I'm not quite comfortable with that, though, because I love calling my own mother that.

Thoughts?

Rhetoric 7 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments (51 - 65)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call her Karen. It's been 18 years, I don't see that changing.

Deceased.

Mum. It's the grandmother name she chose for my daughter to call her when we married into the family. It's just easier to call her the same thing the kids do. Hubby calls my folks "your mom " and "your dad " - they don't have the best relationship ?

SaraY Level 2 Aug 7, 2018

Dead?

Nothing. I ignore her as I walk by her and Faux news is perpetually on.

Draw the Line in the Sand.

Deceased

It took me a long time to have a good relationship with my mother-in-law, years, but I just never could call her "mom". She had a lot of wonderful qualities, but she was not the warmest of women, and fairly judgemental. My father in law, on the other hand, I had a wonderful relationship, and started calling him "Dad" almost right away. Sadly, after having been married to her son for 37 years, she became my EX-mother-in-law, and we have NO relationship now. I hope for you that you can develop a good relationship with your m-i-l, and perhaps come up with a special pet name for her!!

I called her by her first name.

In the south, we usually address our elders as Mr. or Ms.com/Mrs. So-and-so (first name), and the same applies to in-laws in my case. It's said to be out of respect. However, I do call his aunts and uncles Aunt/Uncle so-and-so.

Don't forget people are dying in Canada to fight the C16 law.

I called my ex mother-in-law by her christian name as well as a lousy cook, not of this world and wet although the last three not to her face.

It was never an issue.

nothing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:149807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.