Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because I see no evidence of any higher powers.

I love...I really do...when a candle sucker tells me "We must give you a bible." because it gives me the chance to answer: "Thanks; I will use it when there is a shortage of toilet paper." They become enraged......LOL

Typical reaction for one of the religous nuts.

I see a trend in most of these comments that I am in complete agreement with.

The use of fear to control the faithful. It is a political tool as well.

If it wasn’t for the fear of going to hell I doubt religion would even exist.

It’s basically a search for answers to big questions such as “where does the earth come from” and “what is the origin of mankind”, with made-up answers which pay no attention to evidence.

Religion says "Believe it!". Science says "Prove it!". And I've always been the science-oriented type!

because it's ludicrous.

Because there are no religions without internal strife, further diving people into separate camps of chaos and conflict.
Show me a religion with some evidence to it's name and we can have a different discussion.

Religion, if i am defining it right, is an organized system of beliefs revolving around human interaction with a supreme being or beings. i don't believe in any such beings. therefore religion is not for me... with the caveat that the secular, reform judaism in which i was very loosely raised has humanistic elements, and damned good food, and interesting holidays, so i like it, but i am still an atheist, which, by the way, is not forbidden in judaism despite its revolving around aforementioned supreme being (noncorporeal and genderless, as it happens). it's not the IDEA of religion i reject. it's the BASIS for religion i reject. some of the details are horrific and others are cool, but in the end, without a supreme being, most religions really make no sense. some religions make no sense even WITH a supreme being, but that's another story!

g

**I do not reject the idea of religion - that is the greatest crowd control method in the world and most humans are primitives who need to have religions/ crowd control in their lives. I don't but ok by me what others need to do so long as it does not infringe on my life.

It ruined my life. It shows how gullible some people are. I should not have to hide that im attracted to men or want to become a woman. Its my life.

Alot of the stories and beliefs are just too way out there for me, and I don't like the oppression and hate religion teaches. I was exposed to a little bit of different religious institutions when I was a child, but spent the most amount of time meditating with my mom in my early years in Buddhist temples. Overall, I have taken what feels true to me, the stuff that makes sense and feels good and threw away the rest.

Vayton Level 4 July 28, 2018

Why would anybody want to worship something "forever and ever?" If this is your god he is an egotistical prick. Imagine him as a ham sandwich or a good steak dinner. Maybe your favorite vegetarian meal. Wouldn't it all get old after about the first 10,000 years?

As for "unanswered questions" what if your god who has always existed was the universe which has always existed in one form or another. We are indeed "star stuff" as Carl Sagan said but I find no reason here to be worshiping the universe. What is, is. It doesn't have to mean anything unless you are solving a crime. Clouds do not "look like Jesus" and there are not any invisible men in the sky. If your god was in another universe or dimension you would have no way of knowing this and certainly no way of proving it. Modern apologists do this in order to "protect" their god from close scrutiny.

Personally, I don't reject the idea of religion. In fact, the idea of religion makes perfect sociological sense as it provides community bonding, identity, purpose, among other benefits. Many that follow soap operas buy into an imaginary narrative and use it as a bonding process with other fans. Likewise supporters of sporting clubs, some with incredibly partisan views. Many of these institutions have their deities, their social cohesiveness, their reason to engage in an activity on a cyclic basis.

The misconception is to confuse belief in gods with social adhesion. It allows types of different individuals the opportunity to share in a collective activity which may not be possible under 'non-religious' conditions. The evangelical nature of some religions is not the problem of religion, but the challenge lies squarely with the adherents. Its the people, not the place.

I don't reject the idea of religion. I challenge the behaviour of individuals within.

Zero evidence. The repulsive nature of the personalities of the devout is only (revolting) icing on that cake.

You seriously ask this question??
Always based on the supernatural. In other words, based on that which doesn't exist. How could anyone not reject it?

For me it is so nonsensical that to even contemplate it never enters my mind. For any thinking aware person who knows anything about world history, science and observes daily life and the fact Trump is president, it should be crystal clear instantly and without thought.

Because there is no evidence to support a belief in any gods and because religion seems to do more harm than good. Because people use their various religions to rationalize cruelty.

Deb57 Level 8 June 13, 2018

Because religion was made by men in order to control the mindless people that will follow them and believe ANYTHING they preach whether here in the present or their make believe past that they pass off as factual. Religious people are the most group hypocritical created.

Religious ignorance at its best;. A group of Catholic participating in a macabre ritual against abortion...they are "adoring" a fetus.

[facebook.com]

The older I grow the more I am convinced that only children and mentally challenged people can believe in religions. But over the years I also realised that for too many people seem to be defending other ideas with religious zeal and fervor. Fanaticism is the ugliest expression of submission and it exists amongst sports fans and nationalities.
Often there are phenomena that are sacred: religions, sports and matters military.

Read the bible. All the proof I needed.

I reject any ancient streaming's rights to tell me what to think. Generally religions are man made and seek to impose their beliefs without being able to present evidence as to their correctness. Just as I wouldn't believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster, I don't think the concept of God holds much water, and neither bribes in the form of heaven nor threats in the form of hell are going to move me.

anyone who has really studied religion should see through all the lies etcetcetc or they are blind to the truth that it is man made

anyone who has really studied religion should see through all the lies etcetcetc or they are blind to the truth that it is man made

Well there many reason one is the lack of evidence in this god.
Any religion that require faith to get to heaven or offer hell just because you don't believe is often sign of a bad or fake one

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.