Agnostic.com

14 0

Is there a church for anthiest groups I need to know please

khaalid 2 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my community we call it, "Brunch."

Sunday Assembly. It's a get together for fellow non-believers. There's singing, talks, games, friendship and fellowship. All without any faith or theism. The xmas meeting was a Festivus celebration. 🙂

Chuck-e-cheese

I can understand the feelings behind the question.

We as animals evolved in groups., and that has been man's strategy for safety before we, as a species, started agriculture and built cities. The need to belong to a group is instinctual, but manifests in varying degrees from person to person.

Fpr me, the hardest part of leaving religion wasn't givign up the ridiculous beliefs, but was in giving up my place of belonging in the group. Outside of belonging to a group I felt uneasy. Inside the group, although I never really felt like I totally belonged, I did at least feel safe and liek I had refuge to some degree. Making the transition form beign a part of hte group to standing alone is likely the hardest part of transition ihn leaving religion for most people, and is also why many peole who have doubts remain in religious groups.

For anyone reading this, if you want the church liek atmosphere, there is always the Unitarian church which is nondenominational and accepts atheists with open arms.

If you want to leave the church atmosphere behind totally, I'd suggest looking at meetup.com to find a social activity group where you have common interests with other members. You can achieve a sense of belonging in a group that does not share common spiritual beliefs, but has some other common interest that they have in common. You can do searches on meetup.com to see what interest groups are in your local area.

You may also look for interest groups on Craig's List, under Community and Groups.

Some people also find a sense of belonging by doing volunteer work.

Hope this is helpful.

why can't you just not believe

Why would anyone who escaped religion want a church to espouse some other dogma?

the Unitarian Universalit Assoc. at UUA.org

mzee Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

Difficulty is you need one for realists and none to be found.... rest is clutter of delusion and hype

Occasionally I attend the Unitarian "Church." About half the people are atheist, and some are deist. Most are dedicated to doing the right thing by our fellow humans. It is a nice way to socialize with like-minded people.

Someone please educate me, I seriously don't understand why you would need a church for Atheism? I am not trying to be mean, I just actually don't understand

Sacha Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

Yeah I think maybe church is not the right word. But a community or a Meetup group of like-minded individuals is nice so you don't feel so lonely and you still have a sense of belonging. I feel very lonely myself. Id like to find a few atheist people to hang out with.

@Loudpaintings Very correct good sir 😀

@Sacha and @Loudpaintings You could try Sunday Assembly. I commented on it farther up the post.

Well there is the church of the flying spaghetti monster.

[venganza.org]

Have you been touched by his noodley appendage?

If the word church is involved, I will have nothing to do with it...Now if the was a church named Lady of Our Horniness...then I am in

BWAAAAAHAHAHA!!! "Our Lady of Perpetual Sex".

Definitely. Unitarian Universalists are mostly agnostic or even atheist. Many consider themselves secular humanists. Others belong to a special interest group called CUUPS [UU Pagans]. I was a UU for well over 20 years. I still am really, just no fellowship here where I live, although there is an online UU group called Church of the Larger Fellowshlip for those who have no access to a local group. Check them out. Good people. Educated people.

I agree. I joined a UU congregation when I first moved to Chicago in part to find a community. I no longer attend services because I found them too "churchy" for me. But I made some wonderful friends whom I expect to keep for life. And many of my fellows are also atheists; they just have different tolerances for how the services go.

@chicagojcb And as I'm sure you know all UU Fellowships are autonomous and they are all different. The one I attended wasn't particularly churchy. i guess I got lucky.

I'd check out Unitarian Universalist Churches if you have them in Finland. They welcome freethinkers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.