Agnostic.com

22 1

Is there a word that says one is anti "religion" not antithiest? Is there a word for something that is in control of reality like a omniscience program other than God?

ewsintex 4 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Antireligionist or antitheologist? They more specific than antitheist which is opposition to belief in deities, especially intervening and personal ones, and by inference opposition to any doctines or dogma associated with them. And it's stronger than secular, areligious, non-religious, or irreligious. And to the 2nd question: Creation?

The force

I am suggesting "the Matrix" or maybe "Tron"

May the 4's be with you.

Scientologist
Trump supporter
Wal-Mart employee

Think the anti-religion word you're looking for is "rational". The latter part of your question just sounds like you're playing Sims.

I'm sticking with "anti-theist".
It covers what I need it to cover.

Irreligious and fate

lerlo Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

When you say: "in control" that sounds like a very religious interpretation of how nature works.
Scientists make claims about how things in the observable universe work. They have lots of wonderful explanations about the universe.
Once Stephen Hawking was asked: "What is outside the observable univers?" Rather than just stating the obvious by saying "the unobservable univers". He dismissed the question as stupid.
And yet it is perfectly conceivable that we just live in a univers that is surrounded by a super univers which is ...etc just like a set of Russian dolls (fuck another Russian connection)

As Christopher Lagan might put it, we exist in a reality of a system of systems. logic would tell you any system must have a control factor. I believe our reality is one event manifesting omniscience.

You first question is easy to answer. If you believe in god or gods then you are a theist and if you don’t you are an atheist. The second one is a more nebulous question. My short answer is no, there is no word for anything that doesn’t exist in reality. We don’t believe God controls everything and neither do we believe there is anything else except the laws of physics and man’s interference with these natural laws which could spell the end for us.

With all due respect ... There are many words for things that don't exist.

@PontifexMarximus I was only talking about this particular nothing, do you have a name for it?

@Marionville The big argument of the centuries. People on both sides and neither has a good name for it.

there was never a time when nothing existed and never will be. if a big bang came from nothing it wouldnt have been nothing. nothing doesnt exist. never did. thats what eternity is. no beginning no end. i believe we are god good and evil. both are needed to understand the difference. the heaven hell thing was created to conform society.

Part one has been covered quite well. The answer to part two is physics... Unless you mean a computer programme, then I suppose simulation would suffice, but that might as well be God for all it's implications.

A God with a specific agenda, to be.This God is omniscience and omnipotence which would be equal to the infinite reality.

I don't believe there is any word yet in English to describe Antireligion other than Antireligion.. which would describe opinion against organised religion.

Maybe intelligent design may go some way to describing a higher power other than any specific God.. but I can't think of another...

1. antireligious
  2. Mother Nature?

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

(Not All religions are bad... Only Abrahamic ones)

Scientology? I wouldn’t say “only” but “mostly” lol.

The closest thing I can offer as an answer to the second question is Physics

I am assuming the word would be something like contraekklesia being in opposition to religion or churches
Come to think of it Iconoclast probably fits the bill nicely.

An Omnipotences (used as a proper noun) probably fits for your second query

Why would you be against nontheistic religion? Pastafarians, Dudists, Satanic Temple, Buddhists? They’re atheists, on our team.

I am not against, only for a future where fellowship is for all and with all life.

How about "megagnostic?"

godef Level 7 Aug 10, 2018

I have roughly the same problems with disorganized theism as I do with organized theism, namely, the failed epistemology of religious faith that is deployed to support both. So I see no real reason to make the distinction, personally.

Religion is nothing more than an entrenched, organized, normalized, popularized form of theism. If you believe, without evidence, in an asserted supernatural divine being, then even if you don't conform to a particular group of theists, you are still believing the unsubstantiatable and are still detached from real-world feedback loops.

Show me facts there is something god like! There is nothing all knowing all powerful. There is nothing in control of all things.

deadhead

I guess pansophism and pantheism are such terms but the latter includes "theism" ... The pantheistic philosophy differs from other theisms significantly since it sees nature as the Devine.

@Omen6Actual I think it was a rather smart move 400 years ago

It might be a bit broad but could a phase like "absolute iconoclast" fit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152052
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.