Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Caribbean states beg Trump to grasp climate change threat: 'War has come to us' | US news | The Guardian

Considering wealthy countries (in particular the US) are perceived to be able to survive climate change, is pulling out of the Paris Accord (and encouraging fossil fuel usage) a way for the US administration to wage a world (climate) war thinking they can come on top?

Caribbean states and territories have rounded on the Trump administration for dismantling the US’s response to climate change, warning that greenhouse gas emissions must be sharply cut to avoid hurricanes and sea level rise threatening the future of their island idylls.
The onset of this year’s hurricane season has seen leaders in the region tell the Guardian that Donald Trump needs to grasp the existential threat they face. Rising temperatures and increased precipitation caused by climate change is strengthening hurricanes, researchers have found, even as the overall number of storms remains steady.

Hurricane Irma strengthened to a category five hurricane before slamming into the Caribbean and US in September, causing more than 130 deaths in places such as Barbuda, Saint Martin, Barbados and the US. This storm was swiftly followed by Hurricane Maria, which obliterated much of Dominica and caused a widespread, ongoing disaster in Puerto Rico, leaving thousands dead.

Lukian 8 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be nice if Trump actually gave a shit about those affected in catastrophes, but it would actually take the light away from him so nothing is going to happen except throw paper towels to help in the clean up effort.

Too early to get me going BUT I will say as long as big corporate has a strangle hold on the world we are in for hard times.
The people in control do not care about the little people. Until the little people wake up and realize this all we keep doing are these exercises in mental masturbation. I am a bit frustrated, sad and a bit off my usual happy morning self. A second cup of coffee will help.

you're getting bombarded this morning because the alerts of people you follow stopped working for about 1 week. It was fixed yesterday so now it's catch up time. Take it slowly.

@Lukian I was wondering what the fuck was going on. I'm really enjoying the funny stuff.

The US may be able to survive the consequences of climate change, but I don’t think it would be able to reverse them, or even do very much to improve the lot of those in the Caribbean. Look at what happened with the Haiti earthquake for example, US aid was slow and ineffective there.

Puerto Rico?! (Anyway, my question was just a thought)

Fascinating concept. But why would the USA "wage climate war" against the Caribbean?

My question is more about waging a war on the world. Every country will be weakened while the US may stay on top. It's just a thought experiment.

@Lukian I don't think we're on a course to stay on top. As with so many conservative concepts, the current administration is on a smash& grab iniative that only benefits a small numder of individuals and leaves the country weaker and worse off. Witness every Republican presidency in the last 40 years.

@OpposingOpposum I know, it was just a thought because the US is the only country not in the Paris Accord (even Libya and North Korea have signed).

@Lukian selfish, short sighted and in a word,Bad, leadership unfortunately.

@OpposingOpposum you're probably right... I overthink things...

Good post.

So depressing.

This will fall on deaf ears I’m afraid. He was not elected by the Caribbean nations but by the coal miners of USA and doesn’t give a stuff if some island states are wiped out or submerged.....they can’t put him back in the White House, but the miners can!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.