Agnostic.com

87 1

Thoughts on Interracial Dating & Marriage

Are atheist, agnostics and freethinkers more or less open to dating and marrying someone of another race and why?

mbhorner 4 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love women from all origins.

I can't see it being an issue at all

On my book, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman regardless of race

I don’t know if it’s ACTUALLY different in the west/midwest/south (okay, maybe there...) or if it’s just how I was raised, but up here in Boston it barely registers in my mind, and even then it might be just that perhaps I noticed because I see how beautifully the different skin tones look together or something of that nature! It’s nice to see TV and movies catching up recently, whether they point it out or not is personal to every family’s story but hardly ever is it shown as anything but normal.

We all bleed red blood, it's just pigmentation as far as the skin is. So, yes i am/would, no issue here.

Doesn’t matter to me

I don't know if they are more open to it or not. That would required a broad sampling with control groups to make an actual determination of statistical fact....

and this is what happens with you live with a statistitian for 17 years.

personally, race is not an issue. I do prefer to date people taller than me but thats not saying much. I'm 5'1" so 5'6" or better....

and I never intend to marry again. once was sufficient. pretty sure things havent changed in 31 years.

I think it just depends on your preferences and how you grow up. I was maybe 5 or 6 years old when I met an interracial couple. My friends and I asked questions about their relationship since we had never met an interracial couple before, they were so nice and patient with us. Meeting them made me realize that a person can marry whomever they want no matter their skin color.

I'm Irish/Scottish descent. I glow in the middle of the day and have never had a problem dating someone of different ethnicity. Other than the fact that they dumped me. 😛

@ProudMary
Hahaha! If I wear shorts, people flash their highbeams at my legs.

I'm attracted to personality, not the color of a person's skin. Don't ask me why; that's just who I am.

theres one race humans everything else is ethnicity if you don't like someone based on melanin your a sad fcker

We’re all part of one race, the human one, some just have more melanin. Date or marry whom ever you please love is love 🙂

I would hate to think that I missed out on love because I wouldn’t look past the color of a man’s skin.

Over the years, I have dated three black men.

"You and Terry are from different cultures (Latino and English), different socio-economic classes, and different parts of the country," my mother warned before our wedding. "You will have to deal with this every day of your marriage."

"Love conquers all," we replied blithely. She was right.

"You are not family," Terry's mother told me. She called me "overeducated." In Mexico, she had only completed the 4th grade.

His mother believed I was stealing her baby. She blamed me for Terry leaving the Catholic Church, although he left the church 15 years before meeting me. Her hostility was painful.

This gives me pause.

I think more open. There is no reason for international dating/ marriage to be “bad” unless people can point to religious texts as the reason they don’t sport it.

Correlation vs causation, atheism has nothing to do with a more accepting interracial outlook. Many religions tend to have communities made up of similar races so it limits the interaction outside their race and the odds are more likely that they'll date inside their peer group.

I bet if you looked at the statistics you'd find that percentage wise the atheists have more interracial relationships than theists.

I have dated all sorts of different races. It is not an issue for me.

These poll results just in: 2 out of 3 of my exes were Asian/Pacific Islanders. So, I guess that makes me an equal opportunity jerk.

@Shelton at least one incredibly wonderful outcome was my smart, beautiful, half-Chinese daughter; the best thing I've done in my entire life.

I don’t think religion or lack of is a factor.

yes there is tons it is about prejedice

@benhmiller ummmmm....I don’t understand what that means

I was in an interracial relationship once. She was a lovely lady, and the color of our skin did not mean a thing to us. We did get heckling from strangers on the street when we walked hand in hand, but we just chalked that up to stupidity, and we went along with our joyful life together.

I would have absolutely no problem marrying someone of another "race." The truth is that humans are one race. We come in different shapes, sizes and skin colors, and we come from different cultural backgrounds. But we are THE human race. One race, indivisible. Humans all evolved from common animal ancestors, originating in Africa (according to DNA evidence). Only fools and troublemakers try separating us by skin color.

Among those fools and troublemakers are some religionists who credit their fake gods with their racism. So, to answer your question, the nonreligious are generally MORE open to dating and marrying someone of "another race." The religious have some hateful barriers to overcome.

I'm not racist. You could be any color or scotch plaid and I wouldn't care, Can't speak for other athiests!

I don't know about that. If I saw someone with scotch plaid skin color, I would think they had some type of disease and would probably stay away him/her.

Well I believe with facts and common sense we are all one race so their can't be any interracial relationship because we are one race.

Good friend Ben, face reality,dump the wishful thinking when it comes to race,perhaps you are one of the rare species in America who are NOT anti-people.

@agnosticbuddhist Thanks for the article. I'm hoping people don't skip over the last paragraph.

Scientifically, you are correct. There is no such thing as “races” in humans. Racism is based on the false belief that (1) there are distinct races, and (2) that some races are “superior” (whatever that means). (And, of course, my race is superior to yours.) Thus, while there are no races, there is racism. We see similar hate-based discrimination on other traits: religion, the caste system, anti-semitism, and homophobia, to name a few.

Racism seems to in part be a product of religion to some extent. I see no color. I date men of different races and should one want a serious relationship, I would not be opposed. In January my lover and best friend died. He was black and beautiful. I miss him terribly.

Why would I stick with just white people? Seems really limiting. I don't really have a heritage to 'preserve' or to not date outside of, anyway.

“The heart wants what it wants." ~~~Emily Dickinson

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.