Agnostic.com

40 8

What is the greatest challenge that civilization faces?

The answer is simple; climate change! With such an enormous challenge facing civilization one would think that a concerted effort would be made by everyone to address the situation. Not so. In the world powerhouse USA we have a republican party that denies climate change for no other reason other that it costs money to address the problem. They are more concerned with their money than the safety of thousands of people who live along the coasts.I am unable to understand what appears so obvious to be rejected by these people.

Marine 8 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our greatest challenge is pulling soo many heads, out of soo many assess. I think once we figure that out, the rest will fall into place

How about peace? That might solve a multitude of problems

Islam.
Humanity has a fair chance of dealing with global warming, but Islamic world conquest will result in the end of civilization.

Excuse me? Christian world conquest is resulting in the end of civilization! Open your eyes!

@Healthydoc70
Christian doctrine does not call for world conquest. Compared to Islam, Christianity is fairly benign.

@powder
If you cannot see the difference between contemporary Islam and contemporary Christianity you are delusional. Atheists/Agnostics are (should be) persuaded by evidence.

Ignorance

The big question seems to be why aren't we... humanity/nations doing more... doing anything really significant about climate change? Maybe in dark back rooms in private meetings, the power-that-be don't want to actually do anything... not yet. Not until a large portion of the population is gone.

Follow the money!

@Healthydoc70 Yep.

Advancement

Politicians generally only look to the next election. Trump knows the coal mining and other industries which use fossil fuels are behind him, and the workers who are employed in these industries will re-elect him if he keeps his promise to trash all the green energy initiatives. I just hope all the other countries who have signed up to the Paris Climate Treaty keep to it, but we need the US on board too.

Not killing itself off

Technology.

rajga Level 2 Oct 28, 2018

Fidelity to objective reality. I.e. Good mental health.

plastic!

not being able to find common ground something will always come up that mkes us right and them wrong no matter who we are it always happens

As humans in many cultures in many time periods we have destroyed our environment, causing the need to abandon cities (like Anchor Watt, many Mayan and Aztec cities and other ancient cities all around the world).

We evolved to survive immediate dangters and to supply immediate needs, but it doesn't appear to be hard wired into us to take care of our environment, and now we are destroying our entire planet, not just a few random local environments. We have few and swindling place to move to left on this planet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.