Agnostic.com

15 0

Which would prefer to know?

If you could know

...either the day you will die?

...or how you would die?

Which question would you choose to have answered?

Hitchens 8 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neither

So many chose neither..maybe I should have made it the only choice..?

@Hitchens Good idea.

Neither. Why spoil the fun

Indeed...we all love surprises...?

Neither

Scaredy cat ?

@Hitchens I believe if I knew either it would ruin the actual life I am living, which would be stupid....

Because I could not stop for Death –  He kindly stopped for me –  The Carriage held but just Ourselves –  And Immortality. We slowly drove – He knew no haste And I had put away My labor and my leisure too, For His Civility – 

Emily Dickinson

Goodnight thanks to one and all..?

I'm not really understanding the hypothetical. Some Faustian bargain where I get one deep existential question answered in exchange for some knowledge of my final doom? I'd tell someone peddling that to fuck off. I don't let anyone mess with me like that. If there are Beings deliberately obfuscating the meaning of life, they should just stop.

If someone were not giving me a choice to participate then I'd want to know the date of my death, it would be far more actionable and useful info than the manner. And then just to flip them off I would not ask them to answer any questions. Probably aren't truthful anyway.

No Faustian bargain...no quid pro quo..you get nothing in return..not even an everlasting gobstopper...nada..zilch...

Let's just say the Grim Reaper..magically appears..and just offers you one answer or the other..no strings attached..and he asks you for nothing in return...and you get nothing .

Also the particulars of how you die are set in stone..as is the date.

I would choose when...the how is irrelevant really since you can't change it...

But Death will probably leave you alone because of your namesake..you would give him too much of a hard time....

Mordant:

caustic, trenchant, biting, cutting, acerbic, sardonic, sarcastic, scathing, acid, sharp, keen, tart, pungent, stinging, astringent, incisive, devastating, piercing, rapier-like

???

@Hitchens Mordant is also a dye fixative. Ideas that stay with you is the concept. Hopefully, only edgy in a good way.

@mordant

Yes..lol..I did see that...but I elected to presume you identified more with rapier like wit..and trenchant caustic scepticism..than having an innate skill at the undoubtedly useful skill of dye fixing..???

But yes only edgy in a good way..the ideas and exchanges do stay with me..✔

Neither. Doesn't answer the question, but I cannot reason the purpose to know that answer.

I would be inclined to disbelieve the answer in either case, since the only way to verify it would be to die and at that point I would have lost interest.

Agreed..death can make even the most curious..lose interest.

Yes..I reckon how is probably almost irrelevant...unless you can figure out if it could be avoided..but that would be cheating...and it would be frowned upon to cheat death..?

@Hitchens "When" can clue me in if it's probably accidental or health/age related. I also need time to arrange my estate appropriately.

@SkotlandSkye

Eh ..yea..so it says here that you will die in a brutal cooking accident..involving Thai cuisine..
Also you will leave your entire estate including any cats you may own to..em..oh to me..I'm just as surprised as anyone...??
??

@Hitchens well.....I don't believe in pet cats....so....maybe the rattie roommate? LOL

@SkotlandSkye

Oh..well the crystal ball was a little cloudy..yea...now that you mention it..it could have been a rattie room-mate what is not pulling their weight..and robs your ingredients out of the fridge...yes that's it..?

The day, as I've a sneaking suspicion as to how.

Oh dear...maybe there is still time to avoid that..??

@Hitchens Working on it! Cardiac things run strong on both sides of my "pedigree".

@Qualia

Ok..well just get regular check-ups..get plenty of excersise ..watch your diet..and keep an eye on it.

You'll be fine.

I think the day. I think that would bring more peace of mind than how when living out the rest of my life.

Yep..gives us...time to start ticking those Bucket list boxes..?✔

the day and time, so I can plan a fabulous exit ...

Yeah, it woudl be great to be able to attend your own wake.

both, I'm hoping to die in my sleep, lol and if I need to find homes for my cats, that is the only thing I worry about. plus I have to make up my mind which casket I want to be cremated in #dilemma

Thanks Funeral Girl..appropriate name for this morbid dilemma..?...it could be good news..in that you may outlive your cats!
...or you may trip over one..and die from the fall..?

Since you get it free or at cost, pick a good one. They will have to put me in a hefty bag. Maybe l will be able to afford a double bag. ☺

@Sticks48 i know, i want something with a bar haha!

@Funeralgirl lol... Even if l get the really big bag there won't be room for a bar. I will have to settle for a bottle of decent scotch.

@Sticks48 i will make sure you get a nice box with a bar!! stick with me.

@Funeralgirl Thank you that is very sweet. ☺

The day.

Me too..but it has occoured to me..that if you knew how...you may be able to avoid it...?

@Hitchens If you knew the day tho, you can't change that, just what you do beforehand.

@Qualia

Actually you're correct...its set in stone..hmm better that way.

Is neither an option?

No...you must answer..or a thousand flees will infest your armpits.

Me too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153786
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.