Agnostic.com

10 1

What religion has caused the most murders

What religion do you think is responsible for the most murders in the world?

5082gregory 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We need to define murder. As a former military I want to know your criteria. I got my "usual suspect".

Defining "murderer" as "one who causes the death of a human being, directly or indirectly" should be sufficient for this exercise. Under that criteria, who would your "usual suspect" be?

@Shawno1972 a soldier causes death of a human being, a policeman causes death of a human being in defense of another human being, indirectly I am sure I had caused death of human being while member of communications team in many military outfits land and sea. I am Sure you indirectly has caused Death of a human being Every time you paid your Taxes. So You Need to Do Better Than That Genius defining murder in your criteria and yes christianity is the Usual Suspect. The one and only and if you were Ever a christian you indirectly caused death of a human being.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I stand by my hard and fast definition, because it works for this exercise regardless. I agree with you, the usual suspect is Christianity, and more specifically Catholicism. I don't believe there's another religion (and that's the key word, religion - not culture, or nation, or other kind of group) that can hold a candle to the atrocities caused by Catholicism.

@Shawno1972 Correct about the "prostitute siting in the 7 hills. But your definition is pretty lame and not appropriate. At age 6 I indirectly was involved in the death of a junkie that attempted rape of the "help of my house", My grandmother, my 3 year old sister and me attacked him and in the process he lost an eye... was bitten, scratched, punctured by forks and scullery dull knives... eventually he escaped the house and was killed by a cop... he has a knife with him. And when told and ordered to he didn't dropped the weapon. I don't consider myself a murderer, neither my sister or my grandmother but we gave him hell on earth protecting a 16 year old girl working in the house until he ran away in bad shape. Hard and fast definition is a pretty bogus blanket that I reject its use in the question. You do can add us then because Just like the whole island was catholic, my house was catholic even if not in practice, everyone involved including the wanna be rapist was baptized and I am sure the cop was baptized too.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I don't think I was successful in getting my meaning across to you, because now it seems you've found affront where none was intended. I apologize for that and wish you well. Ciao, friend.

@Shawno1972And I salute you. Because what is murder to you may be doing my job to me. I deal with layers rather than absolutes. Church and religion deal with absolutes. Be careful who you make war to... most likely enemies end up being alike. I am not in war with church or god or religion. I don't want to end up like them. Back at ya!

Either Christianity or Islam....its a close tie, I'm sure.

Well, because of the Americas... christianity is way ahead of the islam then.

@GipsyOfNewSpain. AND...the inquisition, the witch burnings, and American Indian genocides come to mind. The Albeginsian crusades -ugh!

Catholicism. The conquering of the New World and other associated areas (the Americas, Philippines, etc) alone would earn them this distinction.

Vatican never been cheap.

There are a number of religions competing for the trophy and each is wackier than the next.The numbers will never be known but islam seems to be making a run at the present time. Both christian and islam seem to be the largest attempts at taking the honors to date. Some of the ancient religions killed entire populations but the numbers are unknown. Don't rule out the Asia rulers as their history is full of religious hate.

Yep....lotsa bloodshed in China for hundreds of years.

In the modern times including the time of the Crusades (meaning not the Dark Ages, nor the Greco-Roman period, nor the Ancient World), I can't think of any other religion that has caused more deaths than the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity and Islam.)

Note: Yes, Islam was also a branch of the religion of Abraham.

EDIT: Ooops, another comment beat me to it.

Probably Catholicism

I grew up in an area where most of my neighbors were Catholic. It was evident from listening to my Catholic parochial school friends that they were being taught by the nuns that Catholics were the victims in the overwhelming majority. They stated that the Inquisition was over-blown as to the numbers of people harmed. They also stated unequivocally that Martin Luther was insane. I learned to look upon anything passed from nun to childhood neighbor with a jaundiced eye.

Martin Luther wasn't a nice person. He believed any baby born with birth defects of any kind, even minor disabilities, was a spawn of Satan and should be drowned at birth. He was also a chronic farter who did it just to irritate others! 🙂

The Abrahamaaic faith, inspiring murder since Abraham to this day. No other faith holds a candle to it.

Catholisism-Crusades, Spanish Inquisition

Catholicism (crusades)

and inquisition.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.