Agnostic.com

38 18

Are handmade items a dying art?

Today I took this selfie in a dress I made. Does anyone else enjoy sewing and making things by hand?

"Sewing is a dying art," people say. I find this hard to believe.

To keep us out of trouble, the mother of my best friend, Jami, taught us girls to sew the summer before we started 7th grade. Jami and I loved sewing.

We both sewed our clothes in junior and senior high.

Later, I made clothes and Halloween costumes for my daughter, Claire, and her dolls. Since it always snows on Halloween, I had to make her costumes warm.

Claire was a gypsy for Halloween at age 6-1/2. Here I'm working on her costume. Every five minutes, I gave her wiggle breaks.

Unfortunately, Claire couldn't go trick-or-treating because she had the flu. Hence the pouting photo.

"Mama, I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine," Claire said.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I make crafts of all kinds to suit my friends and family, I upcycle, can make anything you can imagine out of wood and I make preserves as I live off the land. I volunteer at the local school teaching how to build cedar strip canoes to prevent it from becoming a dying art. When Christmas comes I feel so much love and appreciation from all the homemade gifts it fills my heart to do it again year after year.

I think there is still real interest in handicrafts amongst GenX and Y. I have several friends with very high level corporate jobs who still find time to sew, knit, crochet etc.

I have attended salami making workshops where many of the students were Italian men my own age who neglected to learn when they were younger because salami making was seen to be this uncool thing that the old men did. Now they have children of their own they see it as part of their heritage they want to be able to pass on.

I went to a traditional craft fair last year that was so popular I had to park a mile away. There were craftspeople there demonstrating everything from sauerkraut making to blacksmithing, patchwork to woodwork. I saw loads of people sign on for courses.

I see a bit of a backlash against mass-produced rubbish. People still hunger for the authenticity of handmade products and are willing to learn to create them.

@Strabo

Great reply. Thank you.

I have a sewing machine and I try to make things with it, but I find patterns terribly hard to follow. I've not given up though. On the other end, I hand stitched an entire Queen-sized quilt. It took forever (read: years), but it's beautiful.

My grandmother used to make quilts. They are works of art.

@Islattl

Wonderful! I'm impressed that you sewed a quilt by hand.

My plans was to make a quilt for my daughter when she went to college. Claire was such a pill as a teenager, she didn't deserve a quilt.

Honestly, I don't have the personality to sit sewing endless small pieces together. Would long to commit Hari Kari using sewing shears while kneeling on an unfinished quilt.

So,I downshifted to a crib quilt when Claire and Matt have a baby. Will use fabric scraps from clothes I made Claire as a child. Like me, Claire is sentimental.

I cross-stitch...

I don't think sewing I'd a dying art, I know quilting is going on strong. I think one of the reasons people don't make too many clothes is the cost of material these days.

I used to sew. When my eyes got too bad to continue, I gave my sewing machine to my nephew's wife, and she learned how to sew.
We worked together on a few projects, and she sews when she has time.

I used to knit, too. Arthritis doesn't allow for that anymore.

There are a lot of times that I really miss doing both.

I love to sew. Personally, I believe that everyone should at least be able to make simple clothing repairs. Because of that, my daughter is an wonderful seamstress. My youngest son knows enough to run a sewing machine to repair his own clothes and hem his jeans.

My older sister on the other hand can't even sew on a button. I've offered to teach her but she refuses claiming she can't see well enough to thread a needle. I did mention to her that they make self threading needles; she still refuses to learn.

They do??? I was sewing buttons a couple months ago and getting the thead through the eye was pure luck!

@BlueWave Here is a link to self threading needles: [amazon.com]

It's lovely. I did sew some curtains once. They were for my truck, which was my home for a year when I drove around Oz.

Not very competent.

I do dollhouses and miniatures and have been trying to learn different fabrics and techniques to make clothing to fit different sized dolls. very challenging to make tiny things!

My mom was an excellent seamstress. How the term "tailor" doesn't apply is beyond me. But I remember her correcting me so I use that appellation at her behest. I can remember the swell of work she had when I ceded the small bedroom so that she could use it as her.... um. Studio?
And yes, the rattle of her Singer was as Sominex to me.

No, but most do not want to take the time or have the creativity. (I sew when needed but more creative with metal and woods.)

My sex life says no.

Adorable! I used to make some of the kids clothes when they were infant /toddlers. And have made a few Halloween outfits, silly winter hats, and recovering projects. I need to whip up a bunch of curtains sometime this week.

I still do a lot of needlecraft projects...mostly Christmas themed ones...a lot of vintage things I find on eBay. And I crochet. ?

The craft industry was on an up swing for awhile. Do not know what it's like now. I do occasional leatherwork

I learned how to sew in high school, don't think they offer that class anymore.

Nice dress, cute kid. ☺

@sellinger

Thank you for your compliment.

I sew, crochet, knit, embroider. I love hand made things and to make hand made things. I make my own soaps and lip balms as well. Look at Pintrest or Etsy. Handmade is not dying out.

I know many people who knit and crochet. I never learned to see but wish I had.

As long we got two hands... dying art or not, somebody won't let it die. Love the Craft!

My website would let you know that it is not a dying art...www.craftster.org. You should join the growing number of people who sew, knit, crochet, paint, etc.

I have been sewing since I was 14 and still do it...for myself, family, friends and charity.

Your dress is lovely....sewing lets you make it unique and fit well!

@thinktwice

A girl after my own heart. Thanks for the compliment on my dress. You are a wonder.

Kathleen

@LiterateHiker You have inspired me to cut into the many beautiful fabrics I have collected from my travels...no sense sitting in a safe box for "someday"...

I made almost all the kids halloween costumes and play clothes when they were small. I have knitted, embroidered, counted cross stich and I attempted tatting but never really developed the passion. My daughter on the other hand knits, crochets, and embroiders great mounds of beautiful and useful things. She has always enjoyed decorative crafts.

I think there are still plenty of craftspeople around at this time. If you are fortunate enough to have crafts fairs in your area, whether regularly, or just occasionally, you can still see handmade goods in those venues. But it does seem that most of the artists are older. I would be crafting wood products if I had the equipment and place to do it. That was a dream I had for retirement, but it all changed.

Not for me. I have a shop full of tools and friends I can call upon for anything I can't do. I build my own guitars, do my own house repairs, make gifts, brew my own beer, make mead from my bee's honey, etc. I wish more people would do the same instead of relying on a single use and other items intended to be discarded and replaced with other throwaway goods.

Bravo!

A Renaissance man. Good for you. I'm envious.

@ProudMary I do. I have made 3 so far. I am building a tenor ukulele now. I hope to be done with it before the end of September. Then I can start on a new project. Maybe a mandolin.

My great-grandmother made handmade quilts until she turned 90. Her quilts were beautiful.

She lived to 106.

I love the dress but as for me there's always super glue.

@Bendog What the hell are you doing with a monkey on your ceiling and who cleans up the mess?

@Bendog where does one get this Formula 99? I know of a few monkeys that need to be decommissioned.

Every human has need to do something.
Those of us most lucky find work we would do for free.
Some of us must endure long periods to live among the insanity of imbeciles.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.