Agnostic.com

38 18

Are handmade items a dying art?

Today I took this selfie in a dress I made. Does anyone else enjoy sewing and making things by hand?

"Sewing is a dying art," people say. I find this hard to believe.

To keep us out of trouble, the mother of my best friend, Jami, taught us girls to sew the summer before we started 7th grade. Jami and I loved sewing.

We both sewed our clothes in junior and senior high.

Later, I made clothes and Halloween costumes for my daughter, Claire, and her dolls. Since it always snows on Halloween, I had to make her costumes warm.

Claire was a gypsy for Halloween at age 6-1/2. Here I'm working on her costume. Every five minutes, I gave her wiggle breaks.

Unfortunately, Claire couldn't go trick-or-treating because she had the flu. Hence the pouting photo.

"Mama, I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine," Claire said.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All kinds of boutique businesses are starting everywhere.

A young person we know makes kohlrabi sauerkraut. sells it in the local markets.

Lots of local classes in our area for knitting,....

'Tis an interesting time to do stuff.

At this point whatever is 'one of a kind' is gaining popularity and demand. People are starved for that which is flawed but beautiful. Water torture perfect computers are numbing starved brains for subtleties of real, living differences and flaws. That is wherein the music of life lies.

I never learned to sew. I just don’t have the patience for it. But, it would come in handy.

The wif and her bestest friend are all about dying techniques. Lots of direct painting of birds and such. Way fun.

Lovely dress.

Custom items tailored to a buyer are on the increase, but they aren't hand crafted.

Gotta get your 3D printer.

godef Level 7 Aug 14, 2018

I regret not learning how to sew, crochet and knit. Also, I wish I knew how to can and preserve things in jars with wax on the top.

You still can...I learned to make homemade cheese three years ago...and jelly with wax on top!

@thinktwice
How wonderful. I tell myself when I retire, I'll have more time to devote to these things. I am almost 72, however, and have not retired yet.

@Freeofcancer I wanted to learn things my grandparents did...some I will never keep up with, but I just wanted the experience...I can make bread and candles, too...learning is a life long thing...hope you find time to do things you want!

@Freeofcancer

Love your username. Glad you are free of cancer1

Canning is easy. Just get a copy of The Joy of Cooking. That's how I learned.

I preserve Cranberry-Apple Chutney in glass jars, and give it to friends for Thanksgiving dinner.

I love making my own clothes, altering them to fit my body.

In the selfie I took today, I cut the dress so it skims my body.

Men say it looks sexy. I think it's a bit too tight. The jury is out.

I don't know about sewing, but I get a lot of 'Seriously, where did you get it?' And looks of disbelief when asked about my woven yarn hats. A woman asked me about my particular favorite one and a look of satisfaction crossed her face as she said 'Wait til I tell my husband!'

Eh, ...--- This should probably be in the flirting group but, I wish we lived closer to each other, real close.

good, I'm not in trouble

Christmas stocking I made:

Claire. Made the amatuer mistake of gluing on sequins.

When Claire grabbed her stocking, sequins scattered. Last year, running out of matching sequins and stars, I sewed them all on. First, drilled out dried glue in the center of sequins with an X-Acto knife.

Rosie, Claire's cat. Half-Spanish, Claire was seven years old.

Matt, Claire's finace'. Matt never had a Christmas stocking before. He loved it.

Cocoa, Claire's lovable, goofy dog. Half husky and half golden retriever, Cocoa weighs 90 lbs. This looks like Cocoa at one year old.

"No way," I thought, thinking about embroidering round C's and O's. Found a leather boot lace in my sewing box. Cocoa's name took 10 minutes.

"It looks like Cocoa's rawhide chews," Claire's artist dad said.

Life is really made up of small triumphs.

Just like how print media is dead. So sad!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.