Agnostic.com

15 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember being a child and having nothing for days but white bread and mayo. I remember days were there was nothing, and drinking lots of water to stop the stomach rumbles. I'd not miss school, becuase there I could find free breakfast and lunch.

Now as an adult in the 21st century I know how to avoid issues and help others, but there are places where there is no help. A sad and dangerous state of existence, and one that should not be tolerated in a first world nation.

Yet more reason to scoff at people who claim we are a "nation in christ".

Angus Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

Food desert still has canned fruit & vegetable. A lack of nutritional education & self discipline is required. There is no excuse for this preventable disease.

I kind of agree...even Koolaid has a lot of vitamin C & is way cheaper than soda, alcohol or coffee. & don't most people know that dandelions are very high in vitamins? When I was poor I ate Top Ramen with boiled dandelion & chickweed greens. It tasted fine & I stayed healthy. Just don't use hairy chickweed--terrible texture.

Canned vegetables are near toxic in levels of sodium.
Aside from tomato puree type products, I have not used canned products since I left my parents' home..
Nice to be in a place with access to fresh spinach and four varieties of grapes and accuse, urban people of having a lack of discipline because they don't slurp down those cans of super nutritious cans of sugar loaded fruit cocktail..

@Carin Seriously.
How many greens of any kind are going to be available in an urban environment?

And...No.

Unless you grow up in certain rural areas with certain grandmothers with knowledge of such things that is not common knowledge to know what shoots and roots you can eat.

Canned is not as good as fresh or frozen. Education in nutrition is missing. Brown & white is not nutritious. Even the commercials show brown & white food on the table settings. It is corporate manipulation & availability & affordability subsidized by the government. Corporations deduct commercials as a business expense. Yes high salt & sugar in canned goods but it is better than the high fat fast food boxed crap being fed to the masses.

Calling it ancient makes me think of diseases like dysentery or black plague something that hasn't been seen in centuries. Scurvy isn't that uncommon. Shit I'm still waiting for my mom to get scurvy.

Bubonic plague is actually back in Arizona. It is treatable now, though.
Dysentery is still also common, but rarely of the severe form in areas with clean water and sanitation.

Scurvy is not ancient. It happens in food deserts like inner citys

I need to modify my earlier comment.

Some people that live in the inner cities are really in a food desert.

They often have no food choice beyond convenience stores.

Even convenience stores have orange juice or Sunny Delight or some other vitamin enriched drink.

@Carin So if Sunny Delight was the only remotely nutrishious thing that was available to give your children you'd be OK with that?

@BufftonBeotch I'd have to be, right? & They'd probably be delighted! They think I'm "mean" for not buying that kind of stuff for them.

Eating out is expensive but if you cook you can buy good food, produce, fruit, etc. Balance is key. Moderation is the key.

It's a choice. I bet all those people saying they can't afford to provide a good diet to their children have a full satellite/Internet package.

Buying cookies and chips instead of grapes and fresh spinach is a choice.

@BufftonBeotch , Most poor people have to go with what they can afford. A large bag of chips is what, maybe a buck, while a small can of nuts is closer to six. Fresh fruits and vegetables are out of their price range. Mac and imitation cheese is cheap and filling. A large bag of frozen broccoli is pricey for the ones on a limited income.

@freeofgod I'm good now.

But when my children were little i sometimes picked up aluminum cans from the side of the road for the ability to cash it in.
And they always had fresh fruits and vegetables.

Fresh. It was a priority. I did not serve my children sodium drenched crap in a can.

And a bag of Lays is roughly 4-5 dollars. About the same as a bag of apples. It's a choice.

@BufftonBeotch , I'm not saying people can't do better. I'm saying they have to work with what they have. I don't eat chips but I saw on an end aisle a large, generic, bag for 1.68. Ky has to import fruit after our season is over. A lb of apples is roughly 1.88 to 4.98 lb here.

@freeofgod Nearly all of them will find 8 dollars a day for cigarettes above properly feeding their children.

@BufftonBeotch , Now you sound like the government. Let's blow over three million to drug test welfare receipients. And try to kick people off food stamps. Never mind that they only had three people test dirty for a grand savings of roughly five thousand.

@BufftonBeotch I have collected aluminum cans ever since the 1980's when recycling was still a laughing matter. Today I collect them as a service to my community & people see me on the roadside & bring me their bags. I do not need the money but use the proceeds to fund my many environmental groups.....& the tax deduction. One that still is available to the middle class.

A lot of it is poor nutritional knowledge including how to read food labels. Potatoes are very cheap & filling & do have a little vitamin C. Cabbage is a cheap nutritious vegetable that keeps well. On the other hand, apples actually don't have a lot of vitamins in them. Oranges are a much better choice.

People say this is poverty but often it is laziness and bad education. I don't know about the US but in the UK Aldi do fruit & veg for 49p a bag and Tesco offer free fruit at the entrance for kids to eat on their way round the store. A lot of children will refuse to eat fruit & veg and their parents let them get away with this. Mums (lets face it they are the ones that buy the food). Buy convenience foods because they have never been taught to cook or a too lazy to try.

Calling people lazy is lazy.

@godef Yeah and McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, and Pizza Express are going out of business because everyone likes home cooked food better?
My grandmother used to walk 4 miles to save 2d on a cabbage. So many women now would not how to cook a cabbage let alone walk to buy one?

@273kelvin, convenience foods are cheap! Frozen pizza for four about five bucks or less.

@freeofgod A pot of black eyed peas for those that give a damn about their children's health.

Frozen pizza. Seriously?

@BufftonBeotch , I don't eat that crap and wouldn't feed it to my children. But I didn't have to. I'm just SAYING AGAIN that people often have to make do with what they can afford. Not what they would like to be able to afford.

@freeofgod Okay I am not up on US prices but here is a stew using Asda (owned by wallmart) retail prices. So no bargains or competitive shopping.
Potatoes 2.5kg - £1.15
Carrots-7p per kg £0.21
Red cabbage - £0.78
Onions - 15p per kg £0.15
Pork mince (500g) -£1.66 £3.32
Pearl barley- 500g £0.55
total £6.16 + bread £0.55
Thats for a meal for 8 not a snack which is a slice of pizza. Plus there will be stuff left over for other meals like onions and barley. If I shopped around I could get the potatoes for £0.59 or a ham shank for £2.00

@273kelvin It is true that feeding a good healthy diet on a budget is very possible in most areas and not the choice of feeding children empty calories.

In MOST places. There are, however, places in America in inner cities without regular markets or access to any fresh foods. They are called food deserts.

But the majority of time it really is a matter of immature choices.

People pick up the box of sugary Lucky Charms rather than the box of oats.

@BufftonBeotch A couple of years ago, I was walking around my local supermarket and two 20 something girls asked me. "What are oats?" They simply did not know. After several attempts, I finally managed to explain that they are whats in "Hobnob" biscuits.

@BufftonBeotch I read a post recently on here about "food deserts" and could not help but think it was a lot to do with supply and demand. If people bought good food then shops will sell them. This is what I posted as a comment. Bear in mind that Liverpool 8 is a high crime and poor neighborhood, with a large immigrant population.
Notice how cheap the food is too.

@273kelvin That is an amazing variety!

People can't afford fresh fruit and veg. Other people are cutting fruit out of their diet because they think it's making them fat.

As to plant matter not being filling, well, if you can only afford to eat once a day, or even less, you're gonna go for something high-calorie. Nothing to do with discipline.

A potato makes a pretty filling lunch for me & they are very cheap.

Scary! And probably worse to come.

eek

That's depressing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but still; depressing.

Recently I went in for a tetanus booster. While in the vaccine booth I noticed a global map depicting disease rates. Europe had a large number of measles cases. I asked why and was told that more people coming from countries with poor vaccination policies are the cause. We think we are helping people by reducing screening standards. In the end this hurts everyone. The large movement of people from place to place often creates dire consequences.

Interesting. The babies get vaccinated when they get here but obviously the adults may have a poor vaccination history.

@Denker This is only one small side of the effects om people movement. Immigration, especially at the heightened present levels have a huge downside that many want to disregard. As I said, we do so at a`ll our peril.

I had a university lecturer who was the only documented case of scurvy in Australia in the late 20th century. He was a geomorphologist who did field work in the Tasmanian wilderness for three months - all he took to eat was a bag of oatmeal.

The fact that scurvy is making a comeback in prosperous countries due to poverty is extremely concerning.

Neanderthalism ?

are you talking polio

scurvy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155573
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.