Agnostic.com

31 7

I've had a lot of people think because I'm an atheist that I have no morals. They treat me as if I'm easy or I'm evil or whatever. Then they proceeded to tell me all the evil things they would do, like rape everyone or cheat on their spouse or murder someone, if they didn't believe in God. This really freaks me out. They're basically saying if I didn't think I would be punished when I die I would be a horrible person. So who is more immoral? Is it the atheist or the one that needs someone to punish them in an afterlife if they commit a crime? Does this mean that religion does have a purpose? That religion can be a good thing? It seems to keep some people in line anyway.

SonderOpia 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion had a purpose and it had outgrown and outlived it. Time to end it.

The words from John Lennon's song "Imagine" --"nothing to kill or die for/ and no religion too"

Stay away from those people. Find some freethinkers to talk to

this was actually a professional That was supposed to be doing a job for me and his company. I did not invite this person into my life nor have I spoke to them since as a matter of fact I file multiple complaints against them and they've never done anything to him. But he told me that he would cheat on his spouse he would force women to have sex with them which is rape and do other crimes. It terrified me and I threw him out of my home.

I think you should not associate with those people...

it was not intentional. please read my response above.

@SonderOpia that sounds like sexual harassment

@Buddha he did things that were not supposed to be done I've filed many complaints and nothing was ever done to him.

Yes, those people are scary! You might point out to someone who says they would do terrible things if they didn’t believe in god, that that reflects the kind of person that THEY are, not the kind of person YOU are.
And yes, I have recently been convinced that religion does serve a purpose in society, by giving people a connection to each other and an incentive to be good (because a lot of people DO need that).

Being good or moral is not measured by adherence to rules or holding "right" belief. Being moral or good is having a kind heart, caring about one's fellow human being, trying to help people -- for actually caring. And perhaps many religious people find it simply easier to just follow rules without having to take the trouble to think.

If a person is moral out of fear of punishment or based on the promise of a reward in the afterlife, then they aren't being moral based on their own goodness. Following rules doesn't make a person moral. Personally, I think morality is trying to live your life without causing harm, pain, or suffering to others.

Walk away. No reason at all to stay and listen to the BS.

And yes - I do believe that for some, without religious guilt to keep them in check, they'd go haywire. Of course there's many that do regardless of the threat of "eternal hellfire !"

I know Jeffrey Dahmer tried his hardest to be a good Christian and go to church but he said that the obsession with killing and eating his Partners was greater than his love for God. And in the end he repented so he gets to go to heaven while the rest of us go to hell for being good people. Jeffrey Dahmer felt a little guilt about murdering, raping and eating men only because the church told him to be. I think that's pretty twisted. I just wonder if it wasn't for that little bit of religious guilt if he would have done even more damage.

When I was a Christian the worst I ever got from an atheist was some mockery. That is over the span of 25 years. As an atheist in the past six years I've gotten death threats from the very same type of people that tell me that I need to believe in God to be moral. I was moral before I was a Christian, I was moral when I was a Christian and I continue to be moral as an atheist. The only thing that has changed is that I believe in one less god than I did a few years ago.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 15, 2018

We learn compassion from our own suffering. No rational human being would wish pain and torment on another person. The monsters who peddle torments like "burning in lakes of fire" have no compassion.

Have you ever seen a 5 yr old screaming come help younger sibling is hurt? Some are born compassionate some of us are not

I'm willing to bet that all the people who said those horrible things to you call themselves "christians". Don't listen to their bullshit. You're fine. As is.

Religion was called the opiate of the masses for a reason...

Anyway, if people assume you're easy or evil because you're an atheist, then they are morons.

We all have a moral code (except for sociopaths). We don't need religion for that. Anyone who wants to rape or murder is is immoral. That they would do it but not for fear of a vengeful god is pathetic and kinda psychopathic.

You are normal. They sound like rump supporters.

it means there week and have no morals without a bible like a dog with a shock collar and you are real.

"Then they proceeded to tell me all the evil things they would do, like rape everyone or cheat on their spouse or murder someone" Wow, I guess some people need religion just to keep their impulses in check. Hate to say that. As a species, we are still only on the cusp of intellectual awareness.

If belief in an imaginary sky friend is what keeps you from doing bad things, look out. I really don't like the forgiveness of sin by going to confession. In college, a couple of my religious room mates would rush down to the church to confess, and do some hail marys, and then go out and raise hell. But it was okay, because they would go to confession next week and all way well. Felt that as a non-believer, that I led a better life, and didn't feel guilty from my actions.

I recently had to cut ties with my brother, because he thinks just because I'm an atheist, I'm a devil worshipper.

Wow, cut ties..sorry to hear that, but I do get that. My older brother used to be a non believer like me and now he's religious. He doesn't think I'm a devil worshipper, but we are not close now and I'm sure that my strong opposition to religion is part of it. Religion truly is insidious.

Its sad people say bad things to people. I'm an old fart, but you'll never here bad things from me. I respect untill theres a reason not to. Welcome to this forum.

I’ve seen the same thing. I wouldn’t kill a fly, but a Christian would if he could be forgiven.

People do not do this to me. I have had people tell me that I just look evil though.

These folks have not faced the world without the cushion of god fear over all else. Some are no doubt zany. Some, when faced with the actual choice to kill or otherwise behave inhumanely, would IMO chicken out. the real world has consequenses too.

I don't know why that would be the case. A person with good morals doesn't need some book to tell them what to believe, how to behave and how to treat themselves or others. I'd think someone who needs some book to tell them would be the ones on shaky standing.

I also don't see what live in an entirely different era and region has to do with life and the needs of people today. To follow the 'moral codes' in some mainstream religions have pretty crappy treatment towards anyone not male, not adult, or not of the right skin color or income level. How is that moral? I think as long as you treat people fairly and justly and not be taking advantage of those less fortunate then you are pretty well in.

I do think religions pop up to help people who believe similarly to band together and figure out the why's of and how to deal with certain things. I just think it's also the nature of people in power to impress control over others just to feel they are keeping hold of that power. Gaining control of a religion to tell people how to behave seems to be a pretty common way to go about that.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

Morality is either A) absolute, or B) subjective. For the religious its absolute, for anyomne else its subjective. I like the idea that what we consider as moral should be subject to questioning, rational thinking and scrutiny. If things like Homosexuality being wrong, or that people should be stoned to death for cheating on their spouses are absolute moralities, then I do not want absolute morality. Answer= Non believers that care about morality are almost certainly more moral

Human rights
Know them
Demand them
Defend them.

As best you can maybe stay away from these people?!? How about hanging out with folks like most of us on this site. 🙂

again this was not a choice of mine. This was someone from a company coming to do an interview for their company and I threw him out. But the damage had already been done. I was alone with a man who would commit atrocities had he not believe in his God. That in itself is terrifying. Again they did nothing to him.

@SonderOpia This was during an interview?!? WTF?!? Were you interviewing him or was he interviewing you? What a frightening combination of religious fascism and toxic masculinity. You didn't or won't have to deal with him again I hope?

@kmdskit3 he was interviewing me and those questions were not supposed to be part of the interview. He was asking me personal questions like what my religion was what church I attended and when I told him I was an atheist it got worse. Now mind you I'm alone in my home with this man and he then started to ask me questions like how many sexual partners I had had and then confessed what crimes he would do against his family his wife and others had he not believed in this God. It was terrifying to me. I filed several charges against him yet no one did anything because he was such a good man. By the way he works for the government.

@SonderOpia Sorry, but this story just keeps getting worse! Why was he in your house? Interviewed for what? Which part of the government? Did you make a criminal complaint? Doesn't sound like it would take much to push him into full-on predator mode. And he knows where you live?

@kmdskit3 it was for me to get additional insurance. He works for a branch of the government that works with insurance through the government. Again I've spoken with his supervisor his supervisor's supervisor and no one did anything. I've moved so he doesn't have my address and I've also requested that he never be allowed to come out to interview me for any reason. That's the best that I could have gotten done unfortunately.

@SonderOpia Sounds like you did everything you could. I'm just glad it didn't get any worse and I hope you never have to deal with him again. Take care.

I think that tells you a lot about them, lol. God is hardly a nice guy, anyway, "love me or I'll have you burn for all eternity"

Nice chap!

yeah and how can you have free will and be punished for it and call it free will? And if God has a plan then God planned for me to be an atheist and so to punish me for making me one makes him a dick. on a side note I love Zoidburg.

@SonderOpia HA he definitely is a dick!! Ha yeah, Zoidy is quality! lol x

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.