Agnostic.com

57 6

What is your favorite kind of dog ?

Wildgreens 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

German Shepard!!!!!

I love runts. I love pretty much all animals so I can't really pick a favorite breed but I've found in both dogs and cats that the runt of the litter is more feisty and loving than their siblings.

My favorite kind of dog is one that has a happy wagging tail and slurpy tongue that loves to lick you!

Our last dog was a rescue dog. Part black lab and who knows. One vet said she might be aussie cattle dog for the other part. 50 pounds. She had survived by being a scrounge, so early on had to keep food way up. Settled down over time. Liked to retrieve balls. Had to run her every day to use up some of the energy. Had the lab temperament, and loved the water. Probably 5 when we got her. Lived to 15. Just a great dog, was Molly.

I have a Cairn Terrier. In 12 years he never comes when I call him unless I'm holding food. When I come home though, he is gloriously happy to see me. He accepts help now grudgingly, not as quick as he once was. I've had all kinds of dogs, I love this one the most I think.

I've got two Shih Tzus, and they're my best little buddies, having been with me through some very rough times.

I have a pug and a black lab and they are both so awesome! I desire to add a Newfoundland to the mix!

Mine 😉

Very fond of well bred dobermans and sighthounds.

My "dog of a lifetime" was half Afghan. Would love to adopt a retired greyhound but they actually want to come out & inspect your house & yard.

@Carin Oh I love those too. There was a male I used to die over in confo handling class. His name was magic and boy did he put a spell on me! Aptly named.
That's a good rescue to want to inspect your home. I would totally let them. That's the type of screening that should be in case anything happens to you. You'll know the dog is safe.

I love greyhounds too.
Believe me though if I could shake dobermans I would but they're impossible to top. I've tried.
There is nothing as biddable, funny, smart and human as a good doberman. Unfortunately they're plagued with health problems and for someone to buy well it's not one to jump into...at all.
The worst problem they have is cardio, young dogs known to drop dead in front of their owners.

@Qualia You won't believe it (or maybe you will) but my once in a lifetime dog was half Afghan & half Doberman.

The Greyhound people had some very specific & unaffordable (for us) requirements like a very large yard 6 foot fencing as I recall. All of my dogs were, or are, perfectly happy & safe with what we have.

@Carin ? I would dearly love to see a photo of your dobe/afghan mix~!

Yeah the fence thing is a big deal. I don't know of anyone in my FB list who will let a dog go anywhere without a fence, and no invisible fences either.

As soon as we got our privacy fence up we turned up the heat on our searches. If I were to do it over again though, as long as the fence guys took, I'd have someone put in the posts/frame/gate then tell them to scram & I'll do the rest with a nail gun. Deer fence is also very cost effective.

@Carin and fwiw I'd have a very hard time myself turning down a dobe/afghan... I'd also like to know how long it lived if you know the age.

@Qualia Despite being 65 pounds (so on the large side) she lived 15 years & died of lung cancer, which I blame on a series of smoking housemates. I do have pictures of her but it was back in the days when cameras used something called "film." Surprisingly she was short haired. Her color would have been called chestnut if she were a horse.

@Qualia We do have a fence but it was a foot too short....

@Carin 15 years is front page news in my world. That is fantastic. Still, they're never here long enough.

@Qualia That's a sad fact. I had a cat live to be 21 also.

The non lickin kind.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 16, 2018

I do NOT like dog saliva on me either!

I've always loved the Malamute... But any wolf-high-bred would be awesome too.

Tibetan Mastiff!

OPDs.

(Other people's dogs.)

Border collies, compared to them all others are just dogs. Intelligent, independent, willing to turn everything into a game yet totally loyal with the ability to teach you a thing or two as well.

@HeathenFarmer haha you've never had a doberman 😛

@Qualia , actually I have and I have trained many more. I find them to be very intelligent but, not border collie intelligent but up there. What I don't like about them is that they are born blank and totally malleable, other intelligent breeds are not like this.

@HeathenFarmer Good dobermans are chameleons yes, not sure I agree with the totally malleable opinion as they get bored with drills that say a GSD will do all day. But yeah totally different temperament/personality than BCs.

I like big dogs, the kind you can play with. German Shepards, Collies, Irish Setters, St. Bernards, ect.

cats

Pit bull

corgis and border collies are great, buy mutts are usually the best. like most of us.

While I have never "owned" a dog, I do love them. I am particularly fond of Pomsky (Pomeranian/husky mix), Corgi's, Pomeranians, Chihuahuas and Whippets though all these may not be appropriate for my allergy. I have an allergy to dog fur but can tolerate dog hair, so when I was young my parents had an Airdale. It was a huge dog, but I loved it.

Never have a favorite kind to me are like humans from different cultures. In the 70's when I worked in an advertising agency there was an advertising why a common dog was the best dog and it listed 28 different attributes that were tops in other breeds. Very convincing ad. If I were to own one, has to be big dog. But the last boxer with my daughter destroyed my apartment. He imitated a little peki-poo that will come running and jump into the ottoman. His jumping into the ottoman destroyed the damn thing. He was kind of too much energy to not be clumsy. I am babysitting my sister's 3 chihuahuas all ladies. 3 different sizes. the little blonde, the fat girl and the lone wolf alpha female. They adore me and so do I but I don't know if I want to become a slave to something all by myself. Cindy, Bella, Mia and their NYC cousin Angie.

Cute x4! I just got my first Chi, love her. I've never had a dog under 30 lbs before. Dete (Slovenian word for baby) weighs 8 lbs. She is so fun and loving. And she doesn't know she is little, she takes on my big dogs with no fear!

@Ktcyan They are like that... big mouths and those 4 are 4 personalities, each different.

Cats are best, but among dogs it'd be a German Shepherd - nice size, intelligent and best of all, those big fluffy ears.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 16, 2018

I have a pug and a black lab that are both great dogs.

All my best dogs were mutts. Brutus was a big sweetie who looked exactly like a German Shepard but was all black with a white chest. Charlie was part Poodle but had crazy long legs and was epically clumsy. I still live dogs but I've switched to cats. Hitch, (pics in my profile) named after Hitchens of course; is the lord of all pussydom.

Labs are the ultimate dog in my humble opinion. And they're great with children.

My last dog, Katie

But oh do they shed--I work for 2 people that have labs (one family has 4) & catching all that drifting hair with the vacuum is impossible.

Someone else's. I like dogs but have never owned one. I've walked enough while owners were out of town to know that poop picking isn't my forte'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.